Anyone else get burned by JetBlue's route cuts?

It isn't just Jetblue. Im hearing from friends/coworkers about other flights being
cancelled. It is so weird. With all the people flying i thought it was stopping the airlines
from losing so much money. Now im hearing cancellations or routes completly cut.

I lost my husbands flight from Reagan to MCO. I also have a pile of 6 credits with 6 different expiration dates, the first 2 will expire unused, unfortunately. I need to stop switching things around, I was used to SW lol.

I also had credits with them i just let expire. They are hard to trust with their recent cuts and schedule
changes.

It isn't just Jetblue. Im hearing from friends/coworkers about other flights being
cancelled. It is so weird. With all the people flying i thought it was stopping the airlines
from losing so much money. Now im hearing cancellations or routes completly cut.
I think a LOT of airlines are using a bait-and-switch, and have been for several years. You book a non-stop flight at an attractive price and you're good...until a month or so out. Then your non-stop becomes an inconvenient connecting flight, with different hours.

I have trouble believing all that is unintentional.

I think a LOT of airlines are using a bait-and-switch, and have been for several years. You book a non-stop flight at an attractive price and you're good...until a month or so out. Then your non-stop becomes an inconvenient connecting flight, with different hours.

I agree. I keep getting these emails from Airlines about no change fees so I'm so tempted to book
several trips . Of course thinking ..if anything happens or i need to change i can get credit.
Problem starts to be when you get these credits and no real good way to use them. It isnt just
Jet Blue with questionable problems. Got back from Hawaii and Southwest lost luggage. Sent it
to a different airport and didnt get it back for 3 days. Now we have credits for them but im wary
of flying with them again.

Airlines probably have deeper financial problems than a lot of us realize. First they were begging
for people to take flights . Now that people are.....here come the cuts.

Well, Southwest cancelled and rescheduled a lot of flights over the past few days due to technical issues. So that is a different story there.

I agree. I keep getting these emails from Airlines about no change fees so I'm so tempted to book
several trips . Of course thinking ..if anything happens or i need to change i can get credit.
Problem starts to be when you get these credits and no real good way to use them. It isnt just
Jet Blue with questionable problems. Got back from Hawaii and Southwest lost luggage. Sent it
to a different airport and didnt get it back for 3 days. Now we have credits for them but im wary
of flying with them again.

Airlines probably have deeper financial problems than a lot of us realize. First they were begging
for people to take flights . Now that people are.....here come the cuts.
The easiest way to avoid lost.luggage is pack everything in a carry on and a personal item. We have gotten really good at doing so with other airlines because of the baggage fees. DH and I fit everything for 10 days at WDW in two carry ons and two personal items.

Wow! Sorry to hear that they are making more cuts. I used to fly JB from JFK to Charlotte nonstop several times per year until they cut the route. Now my options are to either fly SW with a stop in Baltimore, notorious for delays and with limited flight options. The other choice is fly JB to Charlotte by going in the opposite direction first, through Boston.
The full list of cut cities is in this article:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-major-pandemic-route-cuts/
Thank you for posting this. Much appreciated.

The easiest way to avoid lost.luggage is pack everything in a carry on and a personal item. We have gotten really good at doing so with other airlines because of the baggage fees. DH and I fit everything for 10 days at WDW in two carry ons and two personal items.

We were there to be in a wedding so I wasn't packing that stuff in a carry on.

I respect people who can do this. The most days I've been able to work out of a carry on is 3, MAYBE 4. And that's with light weight clothing and just me.

IMO, there is something to be said about limiting how many things you need to take through the airport with you.

I'm so sorry to hear about everyone's flight cancellations and changes that are still going on :(. Was hoping things would be better now than they were last summer and fall.

Regardless of airline or airport, one thing that may help these days is not booking round-trip flights. It's easier to deal with all the flight changes and cancellations. We also often find better prices using two different airlines.

We have an American flight this weekend and I'm biting my nails LOL. So far it's only been moved by 90 minutes and we knew about it at least a month ago.

I lost my husbands flight from Reagan to MCO. I also have a pile of 6 credits with 6 different expiration dates, the first 2 will expire unused, unfortunately. I need to stop switching things around, I was used to SW lol.
That stinks :(. I've got to check this one since we do this route a lot on JB.

In August (and I know things are different now) but our flights from DCA to MCO on JB was changed 4 times. Our trip ended up shifting by 3 days on either end. Crazy! Flew them in February one way, but instead of their four direct flights a day, it was down to one evening one and we were only minimally changed, fortunately. That was an improvement from the 2 or 3 times a week it was last summer and fall.

JetBlue claims they added flights to Florida during Covid. Customers weren't flying much to other cities. Some countries weren't even allowing international guests.

JetBlue said aircraft deployed to cities like Orlando are needed elsewhere as travel is opening up.

JetBlue claims they added flights to Florida during Covid. Customers weren't flying much to other cities. Some countries weren't even allowing international guests.

JetBlue said aircraft deployed to cities like Orlando are needed elsewhere as travel is opening up.
Yeah. It stinks for areas that found the new routes useful but I can understand where JetBlue is coming from. What they really should’ve done was honor the flight routes they already booked, though I’m pretty sure the changes make the transaction refundable at least. Doesn’t help needing to scramble closer to the date for a new flight :(

I haven't been affected at all, but I fly out of JFK. My sympathies to those who were, what an awful situation.

I'm not a big fan of government intervention in issues like this, but I think the whole practice of changing flights is an area where some regulation has become necessary. Airlines are taking advantage of loose regulation to cheat their customers.

Consumers get hurt in many ways by changes in contracted-for flights, and I'll list a few:
  • The obvious problem OP has where they booked and paid for a flight in good faith, and the carrier then reneged. They took OP's money, and then stopped flying to MCO.
    • The carrier offered a credit, but they don't fly anywhere OP wants to go. So the credit is totally worthless, and the carrier keeps their money without providing anything at all in return.
  • The non-stop flight bait and switch I mentioned above. We've had numerous complaints here where people were switched from a non-stop that was to arrive in the early morning at MCO to a connecting flight arriving in the evening. That customer missed a whole day of their vacation in order for the airline to make more money.
  • In both cases above, the customer could get other flights on other airlines that would meet their needs, but which might cost more.
My solution -- if an airline cancels a flight, changes flights without the customer's approval, etc, here's what they must do to make the customer whole:
  • Offer the customer a CHOICE between
    • A similar flight on a competitive airline that would provide similar convenience to what the customer booked in good faith, OR
    • A full cash refund, OR
    • A re-arranged flight schedule that would be satisfactory for the customer, OR
    • A full dollar-value credit for a future flight on the original airline.
  • Customer's choice -- no games.

Southwest regularly pulls this on us on our Florida flights.

Wonder why they did this? Less competition is not good.
Guessing there was some contract issue that didn't get resolved. Maybe MCO (or another airport) was asking for too much money to land (or service planes, or whatever).

Wonder why they did this? Less competition is not good.

Last minute Business fares is where they make money. One time I had to stand in for someone last minute PIT-EWR and it was $900. Now that business travel is starting up, they want those planes elsewhere. Orlando is primarily a leisure market with a lot of competition.

Prior to the grounding of the Max planes, and of course prior uo Covid, SW virtually never cancel a flight due to a schedule adjustment. Weather and mechanical issues are exceptions. SW generally waits to release their schedule until its firm

Airlines already offer refunds if you're not happy with the changes. I think the OP used credits to pay. Refund is generally made back to original form of payment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter