Anyone Else Feeling The Wrath Of The Economy???

Solomonsmom81

P.U.S.H. = Pray Until Something Happens
DH just had hours cut at his job, he works at the Borders ( Books) headquarters he is an IT there and they are cutting back since the economy has started to fall, basically no one is buying books and things like that when they can go to the library and save money, and with the gas prices who can afford to? So just wondering if anyone elses job has been effected by the gas prices and our economy????

The only thing I can say is..... :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: , this too shall pass with time. We're here for you and you'll definatly be in my prayers... like I said before: When life gives you lemons make lemonade and sell it for a profit!!!!

I've noticed many services adding "gas surcharges" to their normal pricing.. If that measure isn't sufficient for them to stay in the black, it's only a matter of time until they start laying people off or letting them go..

Also - many on-line stores have increased their shipping & handling charges dramatically..

Sorry about your DH's job.. :( Only a matter of time till many other people will be hit with the same unpleasant surprise..

The only thing I can say is..... :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: , this too shall pass with time. We're here for you and you'll definatly be in my prayers... like I said before: When life gives you lemons make lemonade and sell it for a profit!!!!
thank you so much =) Prayer doesnt work unless you do it! like my motto says P.U.S.H. PRAY UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS! =)

My DH is a mail carrier...no more OT for him either! He used to get about an hour a day...really adds up!!

Just wanted to say I'm so sorry, I'm feeling it just with the increase in everything, DH & I still have our jobs, no hours cut yet (he's in the trucking industry, SCARRY times there!)

(((HUGS TO YOU)))
Chip

I'm so sorry to hear about your DH.

We have been very frugal lately in anticipation of a layoff or reduction of benefits. Our annual trek to WDW became a hiking trip to Utah Canyon Lands....six hours away by car (we drive a Prius). My husband thinks I'm over reacting, but I'm truly concerned that our situation could turn on a dime.

I'm back in school to make myself more marketable and should be able to bring in a paycheck in another year. Oddly, my four year BA in Economics isn't enough so I'm working on some certifications.

Best of luck to you!:grouphug:

I am interviewing right now, and I have noticed that many people are not being proactive. Many resumes are full of mispellings, skills are out of date, or there aren't enough necessary skills. People emailed to DEMAND more info before sending a resume. You wouldn't think we were in a downturn. I talked to one lady who told me that she was happy to work for me until "something better came along." I think now is a time to check out resumes and take classes and just figure out how to be more marketable.

My DH is an engineer. Last year, his OT pay made up about 10% of our household income. This year, there's no OT and his company has laid off 10% of their workforce. DH says things are real slow in his office right now.

Now, granted, we've never used DH's OT pay for necessities, but when we cut back on our luxuries, that's affecting jobs for other people. And our regular budget has been hard hit by inflation (esp. heating oil, gasoline & food).

Right now, I'm thankful that we're doing much better than others... have a decent income (and the ability to find a new job, if necessary) and some money put away in case of an emergency. My heart goes out to those folks who are truly struggling.

Yes. My husband was asked to take a 2% cut in pay to avoid layoffs. It's not fun to have a cut in income when prices are soaring.

The airline my DH worked for went bankrupt and he lost his job but we took those lemons and he made lemonade, he had 3 offers within 2 weeks for new jobs and took one paying much more a year so we were truly blessed.

we've been feeling it for months now-DH just took an almost $1.00 per hour pay cut in order to keep his job and he has to drive 1.5 hours there & back, so with the reduction in pay and the rising price of gas, we're really hurting. we haven't gotten to the point yet where we'd need to use the little bit of money i've got saved for wdw next year to pay for our daily needs (groceries, utilities, etc.) but we're getting close.

I live in Michigan and we have two small businesses related to the auto industry...:sad1: You can imagine our economy here...We have been in business since 1968 and I have NEVER seen it like this before....My husband and I, along with our sons, took several cuts in our pay so our employees wouldn't have to. It has to get better because we simply can't take any more cuts.:sad2:

On a happier note...(Oh...I hate to jinx it)....I think I am seeing a slight change...for the better...Others have seen it, too. Michigan was hit a few years ago...Way before the rest of the other states...so..if we are beginning to climb out of the "gutter" as I call it...Maybe this is a good sign...and all of us will see better times...:thumbsup2

we have a small business. 1 of our employees just QUIT on monday :confused3 . He is married w/ 3 kids and is always telling us how he and his wife just make ends meet. he has a small engraving business he runs out of his house and does wholesale work on the side, and told my husband he wanted to increase business here....he told my husband he expects to increase his sales, but was telling us how hard it has been lately....oh well i guess he won't know until he tries it out. we have a feeling we'll be seeing him in the future, because he isn't quite a self starter and he needs to be when you promote your own business...

What? You mean it takes more than an idea and wanting to work from home to make a business work? Crazy talk. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

My dh works 68 hours Monday through Saturday and sometimes a full day on Sunday. Gets one weekend off a month. No slow down here. Has been this way for a long time.

We are feeling in NJ. Just canceled our planned cruise in September. Still working but another IT person and the company is starting to cut back.

I am not having an work issues but I am really tired of not making anything in my 401K account and watching my regular stock account go down a lot, then shoot up a little, then back down. I just want to be worth what I was say...early last Oct! :)

Amen to that! My 401 hasn't changed in months, but I keep contributing every paycheck! Makes me wonder if I'll retire as planned, maybe it's better in my bank account or under my mattress :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter