Anyone else excited about AK's awesome food options?

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
Planning a 2 week food extravaganza this August (Our last longer trip was back in 2012 and we have only been back for annual short visits since). We're there with regular DDP (thank you free dining) and I am looking forward to food, food, FOOD! I was working on our plans for dining and I don't know if my stomach is going to be able to fit in everything I want to try at Animal Kingdom. It's always been pretty decent for food, but now, my must-dos there are even longer than my list at Epcot! I only have 2 days planned there and now I am thinking I need to add more, just for the eats lol.

TS
- Tusker House (mostly because I am hoping for a River of Lights package)
- Yak & Yeti (been wanting to eat here for some years now)
- Sanaa (I know - not IN the park....but it works best to eat here either as a park break or after the park)

QS
- Flame Tree BBQ
- Harambe Market
- Y&Y Local Food Cafe
- The brand NEW Sa'tuli Canteen in Avatarland!!

QSRFLAT-700x301.jpg

Snacks (this is the hardest - SO many filling snacks!!!)
- edamame (my son loves this & I love getting him some greens at WDW)
- Asian Noodle Salad
both at Thirsty River Bar and Trek Snacks. Oh and DH will definitely want the Banh Mi Sandwich!
ThirstyRiverBar_15-37-450x600.jpg

This Touring Plans post on savoury snack credits got me even more excited:
http://blog.touringplans.com/2016/03/03/savory-snack-credits-at-animal-kingdom/

The classic Chicken Fried Rice at Y&Y Local Food Cafe (I did this back in 2012 to supplement sharing a QS meal at Flame Tree and it was perfect.
yak-and-yeti-fried-rice-700x465.jpg

Baked Three Cheese Pasta at Eight Spoon Cafe. My DD adores mac n cheese and this will be an awesome meal for a measly snack credit.

2016-02-15-11.28.22-700x525.jpg

Buffalo Chicken Waffle Slider at Trilo Bites. I had this a year or two ago and it was awesome (although VERY messy). Definitely want to have it again :) It's enough for a meal - again for just a snack credit.

2016-02-15-11.55.021-700x525.jpg

Teriyaki Beef slider at Caravan Road.

2016-02-15-13.04.57-e1456713069668-700x578.jpg

Here are some more pics from another inspiring blog post: http://www.themouseforless.com/blog_world/2016/02/top-7-snacks-at-animal-kingdom/

Chai tea slushy at Royal Anandupar Tea Company is perfect for a steamy summer day!

Chai-Slushie-400x265.jpg

Oh and this Trek Power Salad at Gardens Kiosk for my healthy-eating hubby
poqpoq635881-613x345.jpg

And sooooooo many more delicious options. There's no way I can fit this into 2 days. Time to add a 3rd visit, maybe a 4th....

Any other delicious-ness other DIS'ers have tried (or want to try)?

Last edited:
I can't believe you don't have Tiffins or the Nomad Lounge on your list!!:confused: We discovered both on our F&W trip last fall & just returned last weekend on our most recent trip. It was most look forward to res. We can't really afford Tiffins for dinner but they have a $28 lunch menu - choose 2 items. Comes with bread & a rice type side. DELICIOUS!! The short ribs are AHHHHMAAAAZING!!!! The lounge offers small plate appetizers. The coriander spiced pork ribs are FALL OFF THE BONE tender & the Snow Leopard cocktail is quite refreshing.

The Dawa Bar outside of Tusker House makes the BEST bloody mary's - breakfast of champions if you get the bacon, celery & carrot garnish!!

I can't believe you don't have Tiffins or the Nomad Lounge on your list!!:confused: We discovered both on our F&W trip last fall & just returned last weekend on our most recent trip. It was most look forward to res. We can't really afford Tiffins for dinner but they have a $28 lunch menu - choose 2 items. Comes with bread & a rice type side. DELICIOUS!! The short ribs are AHHHHMAAAAZING!!!! The lounge offers small plate appetizers. The coriander spiced pork ribs are FALL OFF THE BONE tender & the Snow Leopard cocktail is quite refreshing.

The Dawa Bar outside of Tusker House makes the BEST bloody mary's - breakfast of champions if you get the bacon, celery & carrot garnish!!

Mostly because we are there on regular DDP and Tiffins is 2 credits. I already have 2 credit MUST DO meals at LC and California Grill Sunday brunch. I don't see any way to fit in Tiffins as well :( And after spending so much on this trip (we are paying for my brother and his family), our budget is stretched and we won't be able to fit in anything OOP so the lounge is out as well.

I've heard awesome Tiffins reviews and its sure on my radar for a future trip! I really wish I had fit it in when I was there in September on a girls trip with everything OOP. But that was a super budget trip so we split a burger at Restaurantasaurus (supplemented by that awesome toppings bar).

There's another kiosk next to the Mickey M&G (Smiling Crocodile maybe?) that has BBQ over cheese grits and a tandoori chicken leg with potato salad, both hearty snacks for about $6.

We had the chicken tikka masala back in the food market area and my kids both loved it! Even uber-picky DD!! They've actually eaten frozen-dinner and jarred-sauce tikka masala since then, so it was well worth the $12 or whatever for them to discover something new!!!

We also tried the "corn dog" sausage and found it ok, but it really needed an interesting sauce to finish it off and make it good.

And finally, my favorite snack is the peach iced tea from the tea cart near Y&Y. Soooo good!!! DD always gets one of those giant pink $5 donuts there too--it's as big as her head LOL

Thanks--now I'm hungry!!

AK is possibly my favorite park to eat in! Love all the ones you mentioned, beyond excited to try Tiffins in May. Y&Y has been my fav since it opened, my have to plan a AK exclusive trip when Pandora opens just to eat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter