Anyone else dislike how Disney glorifies "Pirates"?

It's like you guys are living in my poor little conflicted head. :)

Really? Ds liked the dancing but dh (who likes a good party) and I despised it.

What can I say... I've never been one for partying, but the point where Capt Hooks pirate abseiled down the chimney, took over the DJ booth and they started playing classic 80' and 90's, and that was me a happy daddy!

Think it's kind of like Halloween. People dressing up as bad things is a way of mocking them and robbing them of their power over us. As long as we understand the difference between fantasy and reality, we're good to go.

Now, I know some don't like Halloween, either. People make their choices.

And let's not forget the raping and pillaging wrought by my ancestors the Vikings. They all weren't as cuddly as Hagar the Horrible!

And what about the raw deal Disney gives step Moms?!

I always remember an episode of Jake and the neverland pirates where someone says "a real pirate never steals!" :-)

Anyway, personally, while I'm aware of the connotations and history, I don't have a problem. In the same way my son went to world book day dressed as Calcifer, the fire demon, from Howls Moving Castle. It's light hearted fun to me.

Also the pirates deck party is the best party I've ever been to... ever. So I forgive a lot for that.
What a great costume! Anyway, Calcifer is kinda awesome.

Face it folks, pirates were the 17th Century equivalent of terrorists. Stealing, killing, raping, etc. It wasn't all Errol Flynn and "Captain Blood."
Anyone see the movie "Captain Phillips"? Somalian pirates were a big problem from approx. 2005~2010 until organized Navies brought out the big guns. Yes, they killed innocent crews on both commercial and pleasure craft.

Maybe they were colorful and followed a "code," but I am pretty sure ISIS terrorists do as well.

It would have never crossed my mind to make that comparison. I love the pirate myth. It bothers me more the way Disney is shoving Star Wars down our throats right now LOL

And personally I think having storm troopers march on the decks of my vacation cruise is far more intrusive. ;)

Last edited:
It would have never crossed my mind to make that comparison. I love the pirate myth. It bothers me more the way Disney is shoving Star Wars down our throats right now LOL

And personally I think having storm troopers march on the decks of my vacation cruise is far more intrusive. ;)

AMEN!!!!

Yes, that's why the thread was created. And during 2005-2009, I worked with several companies who lost cargo and people to "real" (not the funny, cuddly kind) pirates off the African coast.

I think the drunken, goofy and sometimes stupid pirates that Disney portrays in its movies are no comparison to the real life thugs that rob and kill people transporting cargos and ships. To me, they are two different genres. :confused3

Seems to me that if we want to look for the culprit it would have to start with Robert Louis Stevenson and the books that he wrote. Treasure Island, later brought to the big screen to show pirates as misunderstood, hard working sea fairing folks. Didn't start with Disney.

I really like where they took Hook in Once Upon a Time. Spoilers ahead he has been redeemed but now has to face the reality of his past. I think it has brought a great layer to the character that he isn't a cute and cuddly pirate that doesn't have to feel bad about what he did.

With that said I also like Jake and the Neverland pirates that shows now all pirates are bad. Hunting treasure, living on the open sea, having a sense of adventure are not bad things. Yes real life pirates are bad people but all of this lives inside a fantasy world. When it is age appropriate you can talk to your own kids about the real history of pirates if you want. I don't know of a single adult that says oh a real life pirate awesome! They know Somalian pirates are terrible and that the history of pirating does include some terrible deeds.

Oh it was so much a simpler time when sacking villages and kidnapping women was quaint and the norm and not the plot every other week on Criminal Minds. But its classic sacking and kidnapping. :)

Oh it was so much a simpler time when sacking villages and kidnapping women was quaint and the norm and not the plot every other week on Criminal Minds. But its classic sacking and kidnapping. :)

OMG -- I had to stop watching that show.

This is making me think of the Peter Pan play with Mary Martin.
I've been enjoying that since a very young child.
I especially love Captain Hook.
Tempo, tempo, tempo tempo???? A Tarantella!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter