• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone concerned about the Coronavirus in WDW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

But isn't the media getting the word "pandemic" from the WHO? That was my understanding.

WHO has not (yet) declared this a pandemic. My understanding is that this is because (at least partly) because most cases can still be traced to a known source; to be a pandemic (or, more specifically, be declared one by the WHO) the virus has to be freely spreading with people getting it being unable to trace to a specific source.

So, they may be getting the word from the WHO, but if they are calling Covid-19 a pandemic, they are misusing the word.

Well, in my opinion, if we start over-reacting like that, it will be more than Disney World that is going to suffer.

My husband is in Italy now. Weather is nice, things are fairly normal. The media makes it sound like Armageddon and dead bodies on the side of the road.

ETA: It is here already as evidenced by the patient in California - probably has been hiding as the regular flu until someone decided to test. There is no way that person is the only person in the US that has it.

I haven’t seen any news reports that make it sound like Armageddon in Italy or bodies on the side of the road. Not sure where you’re getting that.

My parents just flew back from Milan this week and said it was eerily quiet in Venice and a lot of tourist spots were closed in Milan. A lot of people walking around with face masks.

Ive seen similar reported on the news but nothing like Armageddon or dead bodies...

I think you're never going to get true numbers about how many are sick or what percentage succumb to it. There are way fewer tests than people with symptoms or known exposure, plus there are all of the people who have it but have no symptoms or mild enough symptoms that they never think of it as anything more than a few bad allergy days or an inconvenient cold. So the numbers can easily wind up skewed in either direction.

I haven’t seen any news reports that make it sound like Armageddon in Italy or bodies on the side of the road. Not sure where you’re getting that.

My parents just flew back from Milan this week and said it was eerily quiet in Venice and a lot of tourist spots were closed in Milan. A lot of people walking around with face masks.

Ive seen similar reported on the news but nothing like Armageddon or dead bodies...
We leave in 33 days for one week and hoping that we have a clearer picture of what we will be facing.

Reading about Spanish Flu, in the United States about 30 million people (28% of the population) became infected with about 600K deaths. That is a 2% mortality rate. That is the current mortality rate of SARS-CoV-2. Assuming 28% of the US population today is 327 million is 91.5 million. 2% mortality would be 1.8 million deaths. So consider today's better healthcare and cleaner living standards, maybe only 20% of the country becomes infected. That would be 1.3 million deaths.

So which of those numbers will not come to pass in the United States? 20% infection rate? Or 2% mortality rate? Both? Or is that what could happen?

My cousin was one of the first people diagnosed in the US, she was on one of the cruise ships. She really didn't have symptoms, from what family are telling me they were pretty non existent even tho she did test positive and was kept in quarantine pretty long time. She said the cruise ship treated them welI. She lives out West. I am not downplaying this, I am someone who without a spleen is very susceptible to pneumonia so it does concern me, but seeing she tested positive as an otherwise healthy middle aged woman and didn't get any real symptoms is a good thing, at least for her. Read that if you are elderly tho it is much worse than the regular flu.

Last edited:
Reading about Spanish Flu, in the United States about 30 million people (28% of the population) became infected with about 600K deaths. That is a 2% mortality rate. That is the current mortality rate of SARS-CoV-2. Assuming 28% of the US population today is 327 million is 91.5 million. 2% mortality would be 1.8 million deaths. So consider today's better healthcare and cleaner living standards, maybe only 20% of the country becomes infected. That would be 1.3 million deaths.

So which of those numbers will not come to pass in the United States? 20% infection rate? Or 2% mortality rate? Both? Or is that what could happen?
Swine flu also had a mortality rate of 7-8% early on until they realized how many people were actually infected with mild symptoms or none and that was the United States 2009. Mortality rate guesses this early on are not accurate in anyway nor is comparisons to a pandemic that happened over 100 years ago.

My cousin was one of the first people diagnosed in the US, she was on one of the cruise ships. She really didn't have symptoms, from what family are telling me they were pretty non existent even tho she did test positive and was kept in quarantine pretty long time. She said the cruise ship treated them welI. She lives out West. I am not downplaying this tho, I am someone who without a spleen is very suspectible to pneumonia and would have a hard time fighting it off so it does concern me.
That's great news!

Edit: Great news about your cousin not your lack of spleen...fingers crossed.

Last edited:
My 6 year old and I are scheduled to go last week of March (spring break). It's to be our first Mother/Son trip. My MIL lives there, but we are planning on staying on property the last couple of days.
At this point, if we cancel we have to eat the cost of the flight and our Villains tickets. I can bank our points, and we're season ticket holders. We're taking a 'wait and see' approach to it. I have asthma, so upper respiratory illnesses are a real bugger for me and I'm quite concerned.

Regarding air on flights, I stumbled across an article posted yesterday on an aviation site with the following information-
"The International Air Transport Association says that aircraft air conditioning systems are equipped with high-energy particulate air (HEPA) filters that can screen more than 99.9 percent of airborne threats, including microbes and viruses.

Air is refreshed every two to three minutes in the newest planes with about 50 percent of it coming from outside."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter