• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone concerned about the Coronavirus in WDW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think if a school district is forced to suspend school for 2 weeks, the state government would likely grant an exemption rather than require the days be made up. It happens in districts prone to severe weather all the time.

Years ago I taught in a district that was in a snowy area, snow days were built in to reflect delays and cancellations. One year school was canceled for almost two weeks due to a blizzard and other snow storms from Jan and Feb. there was talk by the district to eliminate spring break (thankfully they didn’t). Instead they lengthened the academic year by a week and waived the rest. Teacher in service and all half days were eliminated to help make it up. It was rough!

Where we are now they build in a small amount of time for freak storms, but often they are unused.

Last edited:
The death rate does seem to be several multiples (I heard 20x) that of the flu. In addition to that, the majority of fatalities from the flu are in elderly people with existing health issues. One of the fatalities with COVID-19 was of a doctor in his early 30s who was otherwise healthy.

However, they're really taking this seriously and that they're trying to clamp down on travel in China may very well nip this this in the bud before it gets too crazy.
They think the doctor died basically due to overexposure to the virus. His immune system couldn't handle the continual onslaught. That kind of exposure isn't something the general public needs to worry about.

They think the doctor died basically due to overexposure to the virus. His immune system couldn't handle the continual onslaught. That kind of exposure isn't something the general public needs to worry about.

No, that's not how the immune system works. He likely died due to a cytokine storm, wherein the body's immune system just kind of overreacts and causes too much inflammation, leading to shock. This is how "young, healthy" people due from flu as well. Ironically, it is the people who are infrequently sick that end up with this condition, likely because the immune system isn't as finely tuned as one that has encountered many pathogens over a lifetime and reacts appropriately.

I’m due to head to northern Italy in late May. I am curious for other opinions.
If this continues or gets worse over there, at what point would you consider changing destinations?

Mid April?

I think it depends on how things go. My husband in on his way to Milan as we speak, he just boarded his flight. I plan to join him on March 13th. For the first 10 or 11 days he will be further South that the heavily impacted areas, but started on Monday the 9th he is supposed to go to an area where cases are reported.

I guess if I were you I would think about the cancellation policies for various aspects of your trip and go from there. For example, while I hope to join him on March 13th, I cancelled our car reservation while I was thinking about it earlier today. I will rebook if we proceed or I will rent a car at our new destination. I think being flexible is key as is evaluating your risk tolerance.

Also, where in Northern Italy are you planning on going. There are towns under complete lockdown. Others are functioning very normally. My mom was born in Italy and we still have relatives. Her hometown is less than an hour from Venice and people are still out and about, restaurants and shops in towns are open, etc.

Flying to California next week. Have given ZERO thought to cancelling. And ZERO thought to wearing a mask. There really isn't much reason to change plans within the US yet. The number of cases of transmission in the US is VERY low, and all involve people who had close contact with people who were in Wuhan or on that cruise ship. So far as we know, not a single case of anyone in the "public" having Covid-19. The hysteria is all media driven.

I just hope they don’t close the us Disney parks before our trip in 2 months - at the end of April. I really want to go!!

The shanghai and Hong Kong Disney parks have been closed for a while now with no sign of reopening. I’m guessing Tokyo may be next or Paris if it keep spreading around Europe.

I think it depends on how things go. My husband in on his way to Milan as we speak, he just boarded his flight. I plan to join him on March 13th. For the first 10 or 11 days he will be further South that the heavily impacted areas, but started on Monday the 9th he is supposed to go to an area where cases are reported.

I guess if I were you I would think about the cancellation policies for various aspects of your trip and go from there. For example, while I hope to join him on March 13th, I cancelled our car reservation while I was thinking about it earlier today. I will rebook if we proceed or I will rent a car at our new destination. I think being flexible is key as is evaluating your risk tolerance.

Also, where in Northern Italy are you planning on going. There are towns under complete lockdown. Others are functioning very normally. My mom was born in Italy and we still have relatives. Her hometown is less than an hour from Venice and people are still out and about, restaurants and shops in towns are open, etc.
My parents just flew home from the Milan airport yesterday. They had been traveling around and ended in the lake como area. their tour company told them to stay away from crowded places and some museums and other big public places were closing. So sad the carnival is Venice was cancelled this year! I’m so glad their back home.

They’re supposed to go on a cruise from Singapore in April. If it’s not cancelled by the cruise line, I hope they cancel.

Have a safe trip!!

I’m due to head to northern Italy in late May. I am curious for other opinions.
If this continues or gets worse over there, at what point would you consider changing destinations?

Mid April?
Yes, if you could change destinations, it may be a good idea. Even if you’re not worried about getting sick, you wouldn’t want to get quarantined anywhere. I guess keep an eye on what’s happening over there and see if it gets better or worse. I’ve heard they’re closing a lot of public places, schools, etc and some study abroad programs for us students in Italy have been cancelled... my parents just flew home from Milan yesterday and I’m so glad they’re back and healthy!

No, that's not how the immune system works. He likely died due to a cytokine storm, wherein the body's immune system just kind of overreacts and causes too much inflammation, leading to shock. This is how "young, healthy" people due from flu as well. Ironically, it is the people who are infrequently sick that end up with this condition, likely because the immune system isn't as finely tuned as one that has encountered many pathogens over a lifetime and reacts appropriately.
Didn’t he work for like 72 hours straight or something too??? I’m sure that had a huge impact on his death.

That's what I said, in more basic terms.

I checked both Walgreens and CVS online for N95 masks. Both are sold out. I find that fascinating.

The reason for this is because China makes the majority of face masks (mostly 3M). When the coronavirus started there, China stopped the companies from shipping out the masks and has kept them all there.

Flying to California next week. Have given ZERO thought to cancelling. And ZERO thought to wearing a mask. There really isn't much reason to change plans within the US yet. The number of cases of transmission in the US is VERY low, and all involve people who had close contact with people who were in Wuhan or on that cruise ship. So far as we know, not a single case of anyone in the "public" having Covid-19. The hysteria is all media driven.
To the bolded - I believe CA has its first case from unknown causes (and not saying you should change anything about your trip):

https://apnews.com/57177e2e35d7d0d518361166935c614e
I do agree the hysteria is media-driven.

I believe it is only a matter of time before someone brings the virus into one of the parks. Now that it has been found in most countries around the globe, a tourist is bound to bring it in. They are monitoring people entering from some countries, but unless they shut down entry to the US, I don't see how they can stop it. Unfortunately, if a case is found in a park, it will be really hard to find everyone that person has had contact with.

Thankfully, while this virus seems to spread easily, the death rate doesn't seem much worse than the flu. That is still not good. My family has been avoiding the parks for other reasons. I am having chemo treatments and my daughter is on an immuno suppressant so, we are staying away from large crowds because of the flu season. We will simply continue to stay away for awhile. Sad, but better safe than sorry.

I believe Coronavirus is a lot more deadly the the flu. Look at the statistics. I heard it is 70X more deadly the seasonal flu.

The death rate does seem to be several multiples (I heard 20x) that of the flu. In addition to that, the majority of fatalities from the flu are in elderly people with existing health issues. One of the fatalities with COVID-19 was of a doctor in his early 30s who was otherwise healthy.

However, they're really taking this seriously and that they're trying to clamp down on travel in China may very well nip this this in the bud before it gets too crazy.

Yes, the one male doctor who first spoke out about this virus did die but 2 other young doctors and the administrator who ran the hospital in Wuhan also died and that's what China disclosed. Who knows what the real numbers are.

I am now thinking of cancelling our November trip to WDW and moving it to late April 2021 2 weeks after Easter Sunday (April 4, 2021).

May less crowded ?
Still nice weather
Before all USA schools get out
April 20 - April 28, 2021

We have very few at the hospital even. I had to go to two different floors to find some the other day when I was at clinical.

***ETA- Which were to be used by staff treating a patient with TB :scared:That is must more frightening IMO.
Where I work staff was outright told not to take masks home for personal use. I also noticed at my medical group practice today they did not have masks out the way they usually do, along with hand sanitizer; if you needed a mask you needed to go ask clinical staff for one. Last week they were still out but there were signs saying to "Only take one".

Dh & I have decided to cancel our 10day trip in April to WDW. We can always reschedule at a later date. We aren't extremely worried at this point, but it is definitely not a trip of necessity, so for peace of mind will avoid being in that large of gathering where there are so many international visitors.

There are so many other places that we enjoy going that postponing our trip for another time is not a big issue.

We have a trip to WDW scheduled in 3 weeks. I have no intention of changing our plans. If they close the parks (which I really think has an infinitesimally small chance of happening in the US), then we'll just go to the beach instead. We will be a bit more vigilant about hand-washing than we might otherwise be, but that's pretty much it.

I say this as someone who lost my sister to flu 3 years ago. She was gone in less than 72 hours from first showing symptoms, due to cytokine storm. I don't underestimate the flu, and I won't underestimate COVID-19. I will take reasonable precautions, but I choose not to tie myself in knots worrying about something that is largely beyond my control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter