• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Anybody here have a DVD recorder...??s

jimmytammy

<font color=purple>Swivel, it's a hard habit to br
I have been thinking about all those Disney tapes we have and how easy something can happen to them, so Ive been thinking how a DVD recorder would be nice to preserve those for our personal use. We have a couple that are very rare and hard to find so I definitely want to get those saved. I want even let the kids watch those any more until I can get them on to a DVD.

So with all that in mind I have a couple of questions for those in the know on this subject. First, give me any recommendations on particular brands and their models that you like. I will not hold you at fault if something goes awry, after all, I have to make that final decision. Second, my DW found out about Tivo and replayTV. I understood that this particular model we saw last nite has a hard drive on the back that will hold a few hrs of programming WITHOUT having to record to a DVD that you can replay. Did I understand or misunderstand?

Please help to enlighten me with these things along with any additional info. would be great. I am definitely at entry level.

Thanks
Jimmy

Iburn my VHS movies to VCD (video CD) my DVD plays them just like CD's and its a way cheaper alternative. You have to check your users guide to make sure your DVD plays VCD.

Thanks for that tidbit. Didnt realize that such at thing was out there. My DVD player is around 4-5 yrs old so not sure if it has that capability or not. Got to get that users guide and see.

Please note that VCD will not provide the same level of quality as DVD. It sure would be a more economical choice, and chances are the quality would be sufficient for your needs. Also be aware that there are several recordable DVD formats which are not compatible. I just read about a Sony unit that will play and record virtually all versions of the format(though not all of the discs burned on the machine will playback on all other DVD players).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter