Any word or any prep work being done for new DVC cabins?

Interesting. We have a cabin booked for early May. Assuming they're not taking them all out in March?

We check in tomorrow. Guess we won't be seeing any new cabins in situ then since we leave on the 12th.

Just checked the weather. Rain predicted pretty much every day. Ugh! I brought my rain shell, but no waterproof shoes. Flip flops it is, then.

I did not care for the updated look- they did not really fit the Fort look...but then I remembered that we updated our camper inside so it did not look like an old cabin either haha. I think they do look like boxcars, but that is popular right now. Modern is all over at the RV resorts and funky AirBnBs, so Disney is keeping up with the times.

Seeing that video though, I really appreciate the interior; it is a little more beach than cabin, but I really loved the details that Disney always pays attention to.

At $500 a night we will not be staying there anytime soon of course.

I'm getting to the age where I am attracted to the idea of a small outlay for not having to mess with a camper to/from Disney.

After our trip this past January which included one token night in a cabin, I realized that while I love that the Cabins get me into Fort Wilderness, the cabin loops feel somewhat isolated. It helped me to learn that what I love was the vibe of the CAMPING loops and not the CABIN loops (although both get me into the Fort).

I'm attracted to the two DVC properties at Wilderness Lodge - the newer Copper Creek or the older Boulder Ridge. Close enough to the Fort to get over there often. And WL is a beautiful property with some nice nooks/crannies to soak up the atmosphere in and some nice food options if I'm not goint to cook up a storm.

But THEN the problem becomes if I did a WL DVC resale option, I'd still have my camper for trips to the beach and trips to the mountains (other destinations). Unless I can some up with moolah for a beach condo (mountains and other vacation spots not as big a priority). I'd need the PowerBall lottery ticket to do that.

And to consider all alternatives, if I didn't want to mess with a camper to/from the Fort, I could RENT a camper and still book my own campsite. I've looked at Meecham's website (the official rental company for Disney) and the cost of site/camper would not eclipse annual dues.

I'm low maintenance and am fine not requiring Deluxe rooms for prepaid stays that commit us for decades. The you-could-always-sell-your-contract PoV is still small variations on a declining asset.

Wish I would but don't think I will right now.

ED

PS - and we love our spring week and fall week on the Alabama Gulf Coast in the camper. It's a real treat for us.

When I was in the main lobby I overheard the manager talking to some cast members about the changes this week. There will be a new stop sign installed, and it sounded like at least one cabin will be installed on Sunday. He mentioned another cabin being installed on Thursday but it wasn't clear if that was tomorrow or the following Thursday. Either way, things are happening! Also the site from my picture above is 2220. I drove the cart through 2200 and 2500 and only saw 3(?) prepped sites. I'm really sad that I *just* missed this as I'm back home now, but am looking forward to pics after they're installed!

The DVC rep at the SSR headquarters told us last week that they are also building new laundry facilities just for the cabins. He also said they don’t know if they will get a model to show before they open or not.

Yep the "middle of March" is when they are supposed to begin starting the removal and replacement process.

And wouldn't you think they would finish a model ASAP including deck and side closures to have for walk-throughs?

The cabin pool with its changing rooms and laundry room in the rear might be going to be expanded to include more laundry facilities since the pool complex was included in the original CFW declaration along with loop 2300.

ED

We are at the Fort now and haven’t noticed a lot of activity. There are several small containers in the compound and large transport trailer. I suspect they will get started very soon especially if they plan to have units available to rent by July. They have installed a stop sign by the compound.

Going to assume that this was just an uninformed choice on the DVC people's side but on the DVC site under "Dining" for the Cabins at Fort Wilderness there is a photo of Mickey's Backyard BBQ...but maybe there is a chance they are bringing that back?

Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 3.45.48 PM.png

Going to assume that this was just an uninformed choice on the DVC people's side but on the DVC site under "Dining" for the Cabins at Fort Wilderness there is a photo of Mickey's Backyard BBQ...but maybe there is a chance they are bringing that back?

View attachment 843278
They certainly should be using a better picture but at least it doesn’t list it once you are browsing the dining options.

Part of my discussion Sunday with one of the Chefs at TE and she said "Nothing planned that they have heard about". We were hoping, since that was one of our favorites.

View attachment 843278

Funny.

The original Reflections plan, back before it was announced as Reflections, included a new Backyard BBQ Pavilion behind the Settlement TP which would have also wiped out the golf cart parking lot between the lake and the TP (as a landscaped walk-up area for the Pavilion).

Actually, it kinda made sense since they needed the space behind Pioneer Hall for the resort/DVC, they had to move/get rid of the BBQ Pavilion and the TCD Ranch. The TCD Ranch they moved across the road and built a nice new one. So rebuilding a new Pavilion would have made sense too but it hasn't happened (yet).

We never took our kids to the BBQ Pavilion (when they were young the costumed characters spooked them - even in the parks). But I have watched the Pavilion show in bits and pieces and the kids (and parents) seemed to like it and could just turn their little ones loose.

Bama Ed

I'm guessing the description is for Hoop-Dee-Do, but Disney's web site doesn't describe Hoop as "buffet style". Family style dining in an all-you-care-to-eat style is the Hoop. The new TE is listed as "Quick Service" on the WDW site. It almost sounds like a mix of the old TE and Hoop-Dee-Do. We can only hope there will be a new "buffet style" restaurant added as part of the DVC conversion.

It is funny/interesting/disappointing they used the sign for Mickey's Backyard BBQ.

The original Reflections plan, back before it was announced as Reflections, included a new Backyard BBQ Pavilion behind the Settlement TP which would have also wiped out the golf cart parking lot between the lake and the TP (as a landscaped walk-up area for the Pavilion).

Bama Ed
In case anyone was curious, here are the site plans Ed spoke of. The "New Dining Pavilion" was thought to be the MBBBQ replacement. For reference, this was behind the Settlement Trading Post. Pioneer Hall (Hoop-Dee-Do) is on the far lower left.

New MBBQ.jpg

j

Last edited:
So DVC booking for the Cabins went live at 8a today. Online access was down for booking and phone wait times at one point were at least 2 hours. Friend who has been DVC for years tried to book for August only to be told that up until late September it can't be booked with points and is cash only. At some point this afternoon they sent the email about cash only reservations. That was the first he saw anything about it being cash only at first and he's been on top of it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter