Any way to cut costs on meals @ WDW

I have TiW and usually eat at the value resorts or AK with it. I eat kids meals since I am trying to lose weight (they even let me eat off the kids menu at 50's Prime Time). I buy gift cards at Kohls with my credit card and then buy Disney Gift cards at Best Buy. I also buy gift cards from my JCP card for offsite restaurants and eat there. I have worked at Cracker Barrel for the last 14 yrs so I get a 35% off discount so I will eat there some. I eat in the room for breakfast also. In September I am going to eat whatever I want because I am only going for 8 days.
Do you get a discount with Kohls or jcp? I have both cards and would love to be able to save some more $$ on our upcoming trip

Make sure that you understand the terms of TiW.
  • There's an automatic 18% gratuity added to your bill at TS locations.
  • Not every TS location accepts it and very few CS locations acknowledge it.
  • There's a limit to the number of people that it will cover (parties of 10 or fewer).
  • There are blackout dates.
  • The bill MUST be paid by the cardholder. You can settle up between yourselves later, but the cardholder has to be the one who pays at the restaurant.
  • The cost is $175 for FL residents and it takes $875 in spending just to break even.
Thank you for posting this. We have seriously been considering it and I knew about the gratuity (but there are 8 of us going so we will get the gratuity regardless) but didn't realize so few CS locations would acknowledge it.

This is a great idea, too. It will incentivize my kids to drink water; one of my kids in particular is not a great water drinker.

We don't do the dining plan so the I told my 4 kids (DH being the oldest) that there was no soda in the park. My kids willingly drink water so it wasn't an issue and as long as it is cold, my son is happy which it was in the 100° temps thanks to the thermos containers.

And believe me they fully took advantage of filling up their mugs on our pool days...we had 5 including arrival and departure day. I didn't care because they drank water the rest of the time and pool days they were in the pool for a good 10-12 hours.

Oh my goodness - this is a brilliant idea! My kids see Starbucks as such an exclusive treat (since it is so expensive) and Starbucks gift cards are frequently "on sale." (And it gives me another option for my eBay Bucks!)
We've eaten breakfast a couple times at the Starbucks on property and I was surprised at how good the sandwiches were. :)

Agree with many of the above.
-Kids meals vs adult meals
-Counter service only
-Eat a larger lunch around 1-2, only needing a snack in the evening
-Water in the parks only, soda either delivered in or via refillable cup at resort
-Food court pizzas are under $20 and feed 3-4 easily.
-Go offsite for meals if possible
-Amazon pantry/wegoshop/fill extra suitcase if flying SW have all been done by us, specifically for race weekends. IF we have a rental, then it's off to the store for stock up. We like to use fresh options like wegoshop for yogurt/fresh fruit, etc if we don't have a car.
-Discounted gift cards are a great idea, we buy Disney ones during the Kroger gas bonus periods, then charge them on some type of cash back card.

We paid OOP this trip and tried places we wouldn't have if we had free dining.

Go to places that aren't a "value" on the DDP. Plaza, Kona, GF Café, VN, just to name a few.

We tried a lot more CS places than we ever have and there were some really good ones. CHH, Yak and Yeti, most of the Epcot countries, Captain Cooks.

Yes to adults eating kids meals at QS! We do that too, and although we do splurge on at least 5 TS meals during a weeks vacation, we try to stick with buffets for those so the kids get stuffed. Also, instead of a typical QS bfast or lunch, we replace with snacks that my kids love. Nutella waffle with fruit at SHT at MK or pot roast mac and cheese that they share. There's nothing worse than being utterly stuffed mid day on a ride in the heat IMHO. Pick one meal to really eat then, graze. Heavy snacks / cereal milk are a must have in-room.

Kids meals, and you don't have to get what automatically comes with the order. If you don't like something or aren't going to eat it, then ask for it without, and it will save you a little bit.

I also love to splurge on treats in the park. I don't salivate over Disney's burgers and fries, but some days, I just want that Mickey's ears ice cream pop or a Tigger Tail or a Dole Whip. Having a treat in the park feels special and exciting because I can't get it elsewhere, and then I do not feel so deprived pulling out sandwich for lunch.

Sometimes I don't want to bother carrying things in the parks, so meals in the parks is WAY more convenient. In these cases, split an adult meal and then split a treat. Drink water.

But the best way for me to save are with Disney Gift Cards. There are all sorts of ways to save on those... 5% with Target Redcard, Fuelperks bonuses, or my grocery store did $10 in store coupon for anything with $50 Disney giftcard purchase. Instant 20% off meals was way better than an extra bun!

Do you get a discount with Kohls or jcp? I have both cards and would love to be able to save some more $$ on our upcoming trip
Not on gift cards. I work at Kohls also (two jobs is how I get to go twice a year) so I get a discount on anything I buy for the trip.

• There's a limit to the number of people that it will cover (parties of 10 or fewer)
  • The bill MUST be paid by the cardholder. You can settle up between yourselves later, but the cardholder has to be the one who pays at the restaurant.

Just wanted to note that you can get a second card (it costs the same as a replacement card fee which I thikn is $25 right now). Then you would have 2 card holders that could get the discount and pay if your planning to split up during your travel. It also lets you get up to 20 people (including card holders) in your table. only 1 card holder needs to pay but both must be present with their card and id to get 20 people discounted. I personally have a second card for my daughter so she can get the discount without me.

They also honor the 20 people with 2 cards for TiW events (food and wine preview for example)

Thank you for posting this. We have seriously been considering it and I knew about the gratuity (but there are 8 of us going so we will get the gratuity regardless) but didn't realize so few CS locations would acknowledge it.

You can see the list on the website but it's almost none outside of resorts that don't have a table service. now for the resorts that do take it, it can be huge (and there is no 18% gratuity for counter service added) different in cost especially if you like getting breakfast or some meals at the resort.

Sign up and start earning Swagbucks. The Starbucks can be traded in for gift cards. There are tons! Or for PayPal cash, I think.

I get Target gift cards with my Starbucks and use my red card to buy a Disney gift card at Target. I usually add one item to my cart, besides the gift card, so I get the 5% discount. So a $50 Disney gift card costs me the price of whatever item I buy.

Purchasing discounted Disney gift cards starts your saving before you arrive. Drink water instead of soft drinks is better for you in the heat and it's free and saves you more than 10% every meal. Split meals...portion sizes are reduced but let's face it average American meals at restaurants are usually more calories than one person should eat. If you need more get an appetizer to split too, still reduces cost. Breakfast and lunch are cheaper...eat larger breakfast and lunch and small dinner. It's better for you anyway if you don't eat a huge dinner. Drink more water through the day, it keeps you full and helps with heat. Bring snacks.

Just wanted to note that you can get a second card (it costs the same as a replacement card fee which I thikn is $25 right now). Then you would have 2 card holders that could get the discount and pay if your planning to split up during your travel. It also lets you get up to 20 people (including card holders) in your table. only 1 card holder needs to pay but both must be present with their card and id to get 20 people discounted. I personally have a second card for my daughter so she can get the discount without me.

They also honor the 20 people with 2 cards for TiW events (food and wine preview for example)
You can get a membership second card for anyone? I was under the impression (from the website) that you can only purchase one for a spouse or partner. I may have to consider getting one for my daughter if you can add any family member.

The additional card is $50, which is still a bargain if you are traveling with a large group.

You can get a membership second card for anyone? I was under the impression (from the website) that you can only purchase one for a spouse or partner. I may have to consider getting one for my daughter if you can add any family member.

The additional card is $50, which is still a bargain if you are traveling with a large group.

When I got it I told them I wanted to get a card for my daughter and they sold it to us.. not sure if that was suppose to happen or not but it did :)

Not judging, but why buy water? It's free from any counter service, and is filtered so there's not really any of the swamp taste that you get from the fountains. Plus in summer, unlimited ice! I bring a reusable bottle and just dump from the cup in there for easy carrying.

Different water can upset sensitive stomachs. I can only drink bottle water. Tap water (or drinks made with tap water to include ice) can cause unnecessary tummy troubles. I live in Florida and have the newsest culligan water filter and softner... I still do not drink my own tap water. My family member do, I don't.

Different water can upset sensitive stomachs. I can only drink bottle water. Tap water (or drinks made with tap water to include ice) can cause unnecessary tummy troubles. I live in Florida and have the newsest culligan water filter and softner... I still do not drink my own tap water. My family member do, I don't.
Do you only drink spring water? I ask because I never get why people buy bottled municipal water like Aquafina.

Breakfast and lunch are cheaper...eat larger breakfast and lunch and small dinner. It's better for you anyway if you don't eat a huge dinner.
Agreed.

To save a bit on food:
- have a light breakfast in the room before heading out (snack bars, cereal, pastry, etc.)
- For TS: breakfast is cheaper than lunch and lunch is cheaper than dinner
- do the late breakfast/early dinner combo and only have 2 meals a day instead of 3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter