Any tips out there

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
I am looking for ways to save money. There is no reason good or bad just want to spend less

I know packing lunches is one

coupons is another

using store brand

shopping at the dollar store

are there any others

The biggest one is blindly spending money.

Write down your monthly expenses and make a real budget.

Our biggest pitfall is eat out.

Make a menu or at least a list when you go to the grocery, have some idea of what you're going to be buying or what meals your groceries make.

I'm sure that if a lot of people sat down and really worked it out, they probably have a handful of meals at home and just dont realize it.

My other thing for saving money is if you are going to purchase something large or of great value, research, compare prices, and we always always price match other stores against one another.

Clipping coupons and store brands are very helpful but something I have found helpful is to make a grocery list and stick to it. I sit down and plan all of the meals for the week and make a list. I have realized if I don't do it that way I make several trips to the grocery store and I spend a lot more. If you go through the drive through do the dollar menu and get a cup of water. Buy meat in bulk and freeze it. Also, when there is a good sale on something you use regularly stock up. That way next time you need it you wont have to pay full price.

* Meal plan. It really helps cut back on wasted food.
* Grow your own veggies. I just have some pots out front but we're doing great in terms of harvesting zucchini, cucumbers and tomatoes, plus some herbs.
* Ditto on the budgeting. I will say this has been our major wake-up call as we track our spending and realize how much gets wasted here and there, just picking up items off the list at the grocery store. Once you become more aware of your spending habits, it is easier to rein in on the areas you've been lax.
* Inventory your food so you are sure to use it by the sell-by date or at least donate it to the local food bank before then. That's my new goal after I had to throw out some stuff that had gone bad. :(
* Plan ahead! You know you have to buy gifts for X people so go ahead and start setting aside little by little. You know you are going to need a replacement car in 6 years. Start saving now! I knew we would need a new roof and thankfully took a few years to save for it. Came, went, and just built back up the fund for the next looming project but it wasn't a financial catastrophe.
* Consider things like the Target Red Card. This card can be a credit (not my bag) or a decoupled debit (yay!) where it will pull the money automatically from your checking. But it is a free 5% off by doing it that way. So if you are like me and shop enough at Target, get the card.
* Do research into your purchases first. Most of the time the generics hold up as well but there are some where I have found the generic doesn't perform as well as the brand name and had to switch back.

Be aware of your prices. Start a price book if you have too. Sometimes the advertised "sale" price of grocery items is not actually a good deal. I know what I usually buy and what is a good price for each item. So if I see a true "sale" I stock up.

"Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without"

"Just because something is cheap doesn't mean is a bargain; Just because something isn't a bargain doesn't mean that it is cheap."

Take a look at what you buy and what you use and don't use (the first thing that comes to mind in my house is beauty products and clothing). Only buying what you need and what you will really use (i.e. use til it wears out or runs out). I know the sweaters I buy are nowhere near the cheapest, but I just spotted one in a photo from 15 years ago. Quality lasts.

My bathroom cabinets are stuffed with cheap-o Walgreens clearance beauty products that I used once or twice and hated. I would've been better off just buying the one from the salon that I had already tried and knew I liked.

Shop in your own house before you shop in a store, clean and reorganize and see what you really have and what you really need.

Although we work day to day in our family to save money, we also work to just consume less. Think quality over quantity.

"Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without"

"Just because something is cheap doesn't mean is a bargain; Just because something isn't a bargain doesn't mean that it is cheap."

Take a look at what you buy and what you use and don't use (the first thing that comes to mind in my house is beauty products and clothing). Only buying what you need and what you will really use (i.e. use til it wears out or runs out). I know the sweaters I buy are nowhere near the cheapest, but I just spotted one in a photo from 15 years ago. Quality lasts.

My bathroom cabinets are stuffed with cheap-o Walgreens clearance beauty products that I used once or twice and hated. I would've been better off just buying the one from the salon that I had already tried and knew I liked.

Shop in your own house before you shop in a store, clean and reorganize and see what you really have and what you really need.

Although we work day to day in our family to save money, we also work to just consume less. Think quality over quantity.

OMG the above is so true

Try using cash and keeping track of what you spend. I'm not a fan of couponing or the dollar store type stuff, as I think it ends up with buying crap that's low quality and not needed, just because it's cheap, which isn't saving, it's spending.

Set a budget for yourself for the week, say you can have $100 for groceries and $40 for extras (or whatever makes sense for your situation, I'm just making up numbers). Put those amounts in two envelopes and every time you buy something you have to use the cash from an envelope and you have to put the receipt from what you bought back into the envelope with the change.

If you spend on something that doesn't offer a receipt, like bus fare, write it on the envelope, like $1.50 bus to Target 7/17.

That way, you think about what you're spending and you can see exactly what you spend money on so you'll know what you want to cut back on and such or if you need more for a certain category of stuff.

:blush: DH and I have just gone to the cash plan...boy was it an eye opener. We learned that we spend a lot of money on food--eating out, getting a biscuit on the way to work, etc. We have only done it for a month now. I spent what we were allowed but told DH that I wanted less next month. I already have a few of my Christmas items purchased. He realized that he need smaller amounts of cash or he would spend $100 at a time on unnecessary things. So I will begin rationing him $20 at a time this next month. All of our bills are paid on-line, we make decent money and should not have credit card debt. Well we do have CC debt and we are sick of it.

It has been wonderful and liberating to use cash. Buddy I know exactly what is in my wallet and how long it is supposed to last.

This next trip to WDW is going to be intresting. We have DVC, APs, TIW and plane tickets bought and paid for. We converted to the Premium Disney Visa and now have almost $600 in reward points.

The only thing we are allowing to be put on CC now is gas...and the occasional item like DH standing in line with only $5 and purchase was $5.10.

We are really having to retrain ourselves as to what is needed, important and frivoulous. We are proud of ourselves this month and actually did better than I thought.

:rotfl: last night I was online and looking for a headband to wear to MNSSHP--a headband, what the hell was I thinking.

#1 I look like Ursula (you know white hair...well almost..chubby, and like red nail polish) and she doesn't wear a headband

#2 My hair is shorter than the Jamie Lee Curtis Style so how would a headband stay in my hair

#3 for $15 I can get a photopass pic that I will have a lifetime

#4 DH already thinks I am kooky for spraying glitter in my hair at WDW ....so I turned off the computer and went to bed...

Woke up today thinking I am sooooo glad I didn't buy a tacky headband...::yes::

Coupons coupons coupons, mixed in with browsing the flyers.

Make a grocery list for meals for the week and stick to it.

If you live where stores are near each other, shop more than one place. If you have to drive all over to hit more than one store, don't do it. For me, Big Y and BJ's are literally around the corner from each other. I spent $18 at Big Y this week by only getting the few items there I needed that were on sale and I had coupons for. The bill would have been a few cents under $40 without my Big Y card and coupons, so it's worth it. Then I hit BJ's for chicken etc...

Limit the use of or don't use saran or baggies. I am really trying to use as little of this as possible. I have tupperware, lock-n-lock's and butter tubs etc...that hold just about everything without having to be constantly buying stuff that gets thrown away.

Be willing to have "whatever" meal nights. I know some people have to have a "real" meal every night, but on the nights where we are running late or I forgot to take something out of the freezer it is SO easy to say "Let's get delivery". I am really trying NOT to do that and have a grilled cheese, can of baked beans or scrambled eggs instead.

If you have to travel to get places (I live 1/2 hour from EVERYTHING!) condense trips to once a week if you can.

Plan ahead and snap up bargains! A local mom & pop store severely discounts bananas when they are past their prime. I snap up them up super cheap, peel them and freeze them in groups of three. When I want to make banana bread/muffins, I just thaw one packet and I'm good to go!

If you live in the appropriate area, hang your clothes on the line! At the very least, hang jeans. My electric bill in the winter goes up to $120 bucks, with the pellet furnace fan running and the clothes dryer being used. Right now, even without air conditioning and all the ceiling fans and window fans running, but no dryer, it runs about $60. Yesterday with the wind blowing, loads would dry by the time the next load went out. If you work days, hang your clothes on the line at night, and by the time you get home, stuff will be dry. My kids from about age 12 on was responsible for thier own hanging and taking down and putting away. Severly cut down on washer running, because they were more selective about what got washed. No more wearing soemthing for 5 minutes then putting it in the wash. Oh, except for underwear, bras and sox. Life is too short to spend all that time hanging little stuff.

If you live in the appropriate area, hang your clothes on the line!
Absolutely! I forget not everyone does this :rotfl2: Not only do I hang clothes outside in the summer, I hang them inside in the winter too! We heat with a woodstove and I have a couple of those accordian folding racks that I hang stuff on next to the stove. The only times I use the dryer is for whites and if there is an extended period of rain (no worries this year!).

I also don't use fabric softener any more. Vinegar works just as well and is MUCH cheaper. No scents, (from fab. soft.) but that's ok for me as I am very sensitive to scents anyway.

Check for all the sales in-store. Example, I was in our local grocery store Saturday and in the middle isle a sports drink was on sale for 5 for $5. Great, right? Wrong! I walked down the isle and the competitor brand was on sale for .79 cents each. I quickly traded them out and started noticing that the "sale" items in the middle of the store weren't always the best sale.

Lots of good ideas here. I like to look at biggest expenses and work my way down. We recently refinanced our home and found huge savings. We also did an inventory of our home and car insurances. We discovered that our homeowners insurance had been steadily creeping up. We changed carriers, got the exact same coverage for considerably less.

Another laundry idea..cut your dryer sheets in half. Still does a great job. You can reuse a full sheet as well. Sometimes i can get 3-4 loads out of one sheet.

Are there any monthly/recurring charges you can reduce? We cut the movie channels from our cable package and our bill went down by $40. Make sure things are insulated properly so you aren't wasting energy.

Meal planning was huge for us. For so long we would get home and say "what's for dinner?" and 9 times out 10, we end up ordering or picking up something. A week of that costs more than groceries for the month.

Try using cash and keeping track of what you spend. I'm not a fan of couponing or the dollar store type stuff, as I think it ends up with buying crap that's low quality and not needed, just because it's cheap, which isn't saving, it's spending.

Set a budget for yourself for the week, say you can have $100 for groceries and $40 for extras (or whatever makes sense for your situation, I'm just making up numbers). Put those amounts in two envelopes and every time you buy something you have to use the cash from an envelope and you have to put the receipt from what you bought back into the envelope with the change.

If you spend on something that doesn't offer a receipt, like bus fare, write it on the envelope, like $1.50 bus to Target 7/17.

That way, you think about what you're spending and you can see exactly what you spend money on so you'll know what you want to cut back on and such or if you need more for a certain category of stuff.

The all cash plan works best for us! We were way too comfortable just swiping our debit cards, and wondered where all of our money was going. On each check we give ourselves a cash "allowance" to spend on whatever we like... eat out for lunch, a new shirt, etc. This has definitely helped us to see where our money goes and be more aware of unnecessary spending.

I think awareness is key. I am taking some unpaid time off from work when my daughter is born so the budget has become a huge deal. My dh as not as good about saving. He was still stopping for breakfast and coffee in morning and getting drinks at 711. We made a date to look at budget one evening and we looked over our bank accounts and added everything up for one month! Wow was he amazed! Now that he has seen it, he is aware and no longer spending. Its a lot of work, but we just have to preplan if we are going to be out for awhile- we bring a drink and a snack. Cash is always key too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter