Any suggestions to win over a non-believer?

pangyal

#TeamSven
The title is meant to be light-hearted...I'm wondering how any of you have brought over family members, friends, etc. who were not keen on Disney to agreeing to accompany you on a Disney vacation, whether those guests ended up having a great time and what made it so. Specifically, I am desperately trying to look for friendly ammunition for convincing my dad to come on a multi-generational trip with me and DS in the spring.

My dad is in excellent health and very active, but he's 75. I would be lying if I denied having thoughts this year more than once about thinking that time is slipping away and that I would so love for him to experience being at WDW with grand kiddo (8) at least once and seeing all that it has to offer. My mom has come with us on more than one trip and loves it.

My dad is quite set in his ways of what he likes and doesn't like. He only likes to travel to Europe and is not an adventurous eater. He won't do roller coasters or anything jerky. I realize that I am being selfish in wanting to try to convince him to come along on our May trip, since not everybody has to like everything. Are there any others out there who brought a parent or someone else who was previously unimpressed with the whole idea but ended up loving it? What activities won them over? I am having trouble seeing it all through older and different eyes and perhaps I need to be told to look for something else that we can all do together...it's very hard to be objective since I enjoy it so much, but also want the same joy for my dad if I can get him to come. Sorry for the long post, was going to talk to him about it on Friday so looking for advice and anecdotes :).

My mother hates Disney but went a couple of years ago because her grandkids were going to be there too. I don't think anything else would convince her. She loved seeing them enjoy everything. We kept the pace easy so she could keep up. We were there for three nights and had 2 park days plus a pool day. The kids were pretty young so we didn't go on big rides and they had a stroller which my mother ended up pushing most of the time (empty) which really helped her keep going.

Well, I think obviously don't push thrill rides, but as cluvsdisney said, part of the enjoyment is seeing the younger kids' enjoyment. I advise pushing the lightheartedness of Disney, and also the bonding and fun of a family vacation.

Obviously, this is just my opinion and it probably won't be popular. I wouldn't try to convince anyone to go on Disney trip, or any trip for that matter. Most people in our family aren't interested in Disney and that's okay. They've been invited and know to let us know if they are interested but I won't keep bringing it up with them. I think pushing someone into it is setting everyone up for a rough trip. If going on a vacation is what's important, why not go to Europe where he enjoys? Then you'd all see your child experience something new.

Obviously, this is just my opinion and it probably won't be popular. I wouldn't try to convince anyone to go on Disney trip, or any trip for that matter. Most people in our family aren't interested in Disney and that's okay. They've been invited and know to let us know if they are interested but I won't keep bringing it up with them. I think pushing someone into it is setting everyone up for a rough trip. If going on a vacation is what's important, why not go to Europe where he enjoys? Then you'd all see your child experience something new.
I agree with this completely. I really feel like Disney is one of those places that people either really love or really hate, I've met few people in the middle. I don't think it's selfish of you to want him to come on the trip but if he really doesn't want to then that should be okay too, or try a different destination that everyone might enjoy.

The part about how your dad likes Europe made me think maybe he would like World Showcase?

If you pursue the idea of having him go with you to WDW at all, then you could see if he would go for just one or two days, and spend any other days doing whatever he wants to do.

But I also see the other side of it, that if he really wouldn't enjoy it, then it's best not to pressure him.

It's a tough one because it would mean so much to you, but your dad apparently just isn't into it.

We can't force other people to like what we like.

I relate to your wish, and I had a similar wish, but I've reluctantly accepted that WDW just isn't dad's cup of tea.

Some of my other relatives of his generation joined us at WDW for a family reunion. Everyone enjoyed having family time, but in the end, the ones who started out liking WDW still like it, and those who started out not being interested in it, would still rather go somewhere else next time.

People are going to be who they're going to be. Not everyone will share the same affinities, so sometimes we just have to meet them on their own turf, especially as they get older.

Thank you for the insightful and thoughtful replies. You are all confirming what I suspect- that even though he would likely have a good time with his grandson at Disney, I should accept that he isn't likely to venture into or enjoy such new territory at this point and I should look for a different kind of activity or destination to try together.

Thanks everyone :)!

Don't give it yet. There is so much that is nostalgic and based on 'old times'. I would think our older generation would appreciate so much of the 'feel' that Disney presents. Main Street, and all the lands will bring back great memories. EPCOT should be fun since he has traveled Europe before. Its not the real thing, but it should also allow him to tell you about his travels. AK is so amazing, that I know he will like that. While DHS seems to offer the least, the B&B show, Movie Ride, and maybe a few other spots could be fun.

It seems the perfect chance to be in spots and let your dad reminisce about the past.

This is a tough one. Disney can be very crowded and commercialized and if this is something your dad is not into it might be a disaster. Even with EPCOT having the world showcase he might not be interested in seeing a simulation of a country in Europe since he has already seen the real thing.

I don't know your dad or his personality so I can't speak for him. I would maybe talk to him one more time and possibly show him the planning videos and take it from there.

Since we, your readers, don't know the extent to which you may have already discussed this idea with your dad, we're not in a position to advise whether it's time to give up yet.

If you have already let him know what your wish is and why it is important to you, and that you would do everything you can to make the trip comfortable and enjoyable for him, and that if he has a similar wish to share some other destination or other activity with you and your son then you would consider doing that also, but you understand that maybe WDW is too tiring or just not interesting for him and you respect his decision either way; if you have done all this and your dad still doesn't want to go, then that may be the time to drop it. And even after you drop it, you can still occasionally mention some aspect of your WDW trip plan to him, in case he changes his mind, but without pressuring him.

My hubby is a "non-believer" in going to Disney. He's been twice, but both times were with my family (and only because we were dating/engaged), and I know that I can plan a trip just him and me that he'd enjoy, I just haven't been able to try my hypothesis yet. lol I think the key setting up the trip around something they like if you can. If you can't, if all of their preferences don't fit Disney at all, then forget it. So, for example, my hubby loves to fish, loves National/State parks, loves to try good food, etc... So, if we can find the time to go, I'd book Wilderness Lodge during Food and Wine. I'd plan most of my time for EPCOT, a short day at MK, and a half day at AK with plenty of Hotel time. In short the whole trip would be built around him and I'm happy to do that... with a child/grandchild in tow, it may be too hard to do that, OR it may add to your Dad's enjoyment, but you'd have to make that call obviously.

We used to travel to Europe as a family at least twice a year when I was younger to ski, etc. as my parents grew up there. Still, I enjoy reliving it at Epcot despite having been as recently as four years ago. I'm not sure if my dad would see it the same way or as completely fabricated, KWIM? The nostalgia aspect is a great point, but I'm not sure it would last a week.

I haven't really discussed it with him yet as I wanted to have good points to present! I am going to take it slow and gentle. I am also a bit concerned that his eating tastes might not match. Right now, we would be staying at AKL Concierge and Beach Club- split stay.

I think I'm also going to look into Hilton Head! That might be a good compromise.

DH is definitely not a Disney fan but has accompanied us on most trips. Sometimes he has walked around with us, ridden a few rides but now proudly brags that he went on our last trip and did not ride a single thing those 5 days!

What I think he enjoys is going places like Disney so he can be with his family and now that he is disabled, WDW is one of the best places to travel comfortably, eat decently and be with us.

I'd use the travel with family reason. Let him do what he wants such as choose a couple restaurants he wants to try and what shows or attractions he wants to do. Let him stay back and enjoy the resort if he wants.

Let us know how it all turns out!

So actually, I brought it up this weekend and my dad actually said yes! I was gobsmacked. He wants to avoid being over planned and tied to ADRs and such, so I'll just book a few breakfasts, along a dinner for the two of us while DS goes to kids club...a few fastPasses and otherwise, this will be the most "wingin' it" WDW vacation yet !

Thanks so much for all of the advice and replies. I am so surprised that he agreed, but it didn't hurt that DS was the one who brought it up- how can you say no to a wide-eyed 7 year old who offers you a piece of "real magic"? It was like a commercial, lol.

So actually, I brought it up this weekend and my dad actually said yes! I was gobsmacked. He wants to avoid being over planned and tied to ADRs and such, so I'll just book a few breakfasts, along a dinner for the two of us while DS goes to kids club...a few fastPasses and otherwise, this will be the most "wingin' it" WDW vacation yet !

Thanks so much for all of the advice and replies. I am so surprised that he agreed, but it didn't hurt that DS was the one who brought it up- how can you say no to a wide-eyed 7 year old who offers you a piece of "real magic"? It was like a commercial, lol.

YEAH :goodvibes

My normal response would have been don't force it and find something else ............... but I do have a situation somewhat similar so I would have said push for it with DS being the reason. My DM got remarried about 15 years ago so her DH has been in "that role" for about 18 years but I have known this man 40 years. He is so NOT Disney, NOT kid fun, NOT silly, just NOT. DM enjoys Disney and used to go all the time with me and DS who is disabled. She wanted to go again so I convinced him to go for DS. Not only did he say yes but he agreed to wear a costume (we all matched) to MNSSHP. He had a blast!!! He has been back now with and without us, one year even buying a FL special 4 day ticket for them. He's looking to take her again to see holiday decorations. Not a full convert but appreciates why we enjoy. So ................. that place froze over, so it is possible.

Sounds like you have a good plan!

YEAH :goodvibes

My normal response would have been don't force it and find something else ............... but I do have a situation somewhat similar so I would have said push for it with DS being the reason. My DM got remarried about 15 years ago so her DH has been in "that role" for about 18 years but I have known this man 40 years. He is so NOT Disney, NOT kid fun, NOT silly, just NOT. DM enjoys Disney and used to go all the time with me and DS who is disabled. She wanted to go again so I convinced him to go for DS. Not only did he say yes but he agreed to wear a costume (we all matched) to MNSSHP. He had a blast!!! He has been back now with and without us, one year even buying a FL special 4 day ticket for them. He's looking to take her again to see holiday decorations. Not a full convert but appreciates why we enjoy. So ................. that place froze over, so it is possible.

Sounds like you have a good plan!

What a wonderful story!!! Just goes to show, you never know what you will like until you try it, but getting there is the hardest part.

The title is meant to be light-hearted...I'm wondering how any of you have brought over family members, friends, etc. who were not keen on Disney to agreeing to accompany you on a Disney vacation, whether those guests ended up having a great time and what made it so. Specifically, I am desperately trying to look for friendly ammunition for convincing my dad to come on a multi-generational trip with me and DS in the spring.

My dad is in excellent health and very active, but he's 75. I would be lying if I denied having thoughts this year more than once about thinking that time is slipping away and that I would so love for him to experience being at WDW with grand kiddo (8) at least once and seeing all that it has to offer. My mom has come with us on more than one trip and loves it.

My dad is quite set in his ways of what he likes and doesn't like. He only likes to travel to Europe and is not an adventurous eater. He won't do roller coasters or anything jerky. I realize that I am being selfish in wanting to try to convince him to come along on our May trip, since not everybody has to like everything. Are there any others out there who brought a parent or someone else who was previously unimpressed with the whole idea but ended up loving it? What activities won them over? I am having trouble seeing it all through older and different eyes and perhaps I need to be told to look for something else that we can all do together...it's very hard to be objective since I enjoy it so much, but also want the same joy for my dad if I can get him to come. Sorry for the long post, was going to talk to him about it on Friday so looking for advice and anecdotes :).

I have and I haven't...and it was all based on the reason. My spouse originally did not want to go b/c he'd never done any theme parks as a kid and he couldn't imagine how you could have fun in the heat, chaos, and lines (let alone the thrills, which he's also not so big on). He went in the early 2000s and loved it until the recent price increases/planning needs - now he loves Universal and will spend 4-5 days there every trip, but that's another theme park love story...

My spouse's father (the reason my spouse never went as a kid) got tickets to Disneyland for free after his tour in Vietnam. To say coming back home to that was problematic is an understatement. Disney is now a reminder to him of Vietnam - always has been, always will be. When this came out (after I had asked if he'd ever want to come), I never asked again. Wouldn't be right of me, nor would I want to bring him pain.

Since your dad is a close in age to my hubby's dad, it wouldn't be impossible for him to have a reason you don't know about...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter