Any suggestions for an English family visiting Sydney and Melbourne?

Danauk

<font color=green>I would be sitting on the patio
I know this board is supposed to be for WDW tips but I was wondering if anyone could help me with my 1st trip to Australia.

My family - mum, dad (in their mid 60's), myself and DH (in our mid 30's) are visiting Australia next July/August for 3 weeks (we have to travel at this time as DH and I are teachers and this is when we get our summer break.) We are flying into Sydney and will be there for a week, we are also visiting relatives in Port Maquarie and Albury and will be spending 4 nights in Melbourne before we fly home from there. DH and I are also going to Perisher Valley for 4 nights to go skiing. So does anyone have any suggestions of things to do in Sydney and Melbourne? In Sydney we want to go to the zoo, do the opera house tour, harbour bridge climb and look at the Botanical gardens. We aren't sure of what to do in Melbourne except for the zoo. I have bookmarked the thread of suggested restaurants in Melbourne, can anyone suggest good places to eat in Sydney? We will probably want to do 1 or 2 upmarket meals, but would want cheaper options aswell.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Best upmarket meal I've had in Sydney was at The Summit which is a revolving restaurant at the top of Australia Square in the CBD
http://www.summitrestaurant.com.au/
We had a lunch which was fantastic food and the view is amazing. But the night view would also be great.

Sydney things to do
- going to the top of Centrepoint/Sydney Tower is great
....they also have a 'skywalk' where you go outside which I haven't done but would love to do
http://sydneytower.myfun.com.au/Skywalk/About-Skywalk.htm

- You must take a Sydney Ferry. Taking one from Circular Quay to Luna Park is popular
- A visit to the Aquarium and Wildlife world at Darling Harbour is always good.
- A trip to the Blue Mountains is always beautiful

I personally wouldn't bother going to Perisher as we have some of the worst and unreliable snow on the planet. I only ski in the US and Canada now.

There's lots more but they are my top picks...
I would check if there are any events on during the time you are here as well.

How nice to have a family trip planned for DownUnder! What are your interests?

In Melbourne, usually visitors want to see Fairy Penguins, at Phillip Island (a day trip, returning late); or take a day trip out to the Yarra Valley, to visit the wineries.
If your family is interested in sport/cricket, then you could do a tour of the Melbourne Cricket Ground. I think you can do a tour that does the MCG, Etihad Stadium and Flemington Race Course.

The other tourist attraction is to spend some time in the Queen Victoria Market, which has fresh food (meat, seafood, veg) as well as souveniers. Smaller versions of the Vic Market can be found in South Melbourne - the South Melbourne Market - and Prahran - the Prahran Market.

If you are in Melbourne on a Sunday, then there are also the craft markets at Southbank; or a short tram ride away, in St Kilda. After visiting the market, it is worth going to Ackland Street (about a 3 - 5 minute walk away) to look at the cake shops. I can always be persuaded to stop for a cheesecake and coffee in Ackland Street.

Melbourne also has beautiful gardens in the centre of town - you could meander through Birrawang Mar, Fitzroy Gardens, the Botannical Gardens and back to town via the Alexandra Gardens. The other gardens in the city include Exhibition Gardens and Flagstaff Gardens.

There are a number of walking tours in Melbourne for architecture or historical interests.

We have a number of 'cultural' neighbourhoods - Chinatown (Little Bourke STreet), Little Italy (Lygon Street), Little Vietnam (Victoria STreet), Middle East (Coburg/Preston), Little Greece (Lonsdale STreet) - that are either in the middle of the city, or not too far away. Naturally, these cultural neighbourhood visits have to include food popcorn::.

If your interests lies in looking at shops, then you'll enjoy walking through the arcardes in Melbourne. There are a lot of beautiful, historic arcades in town e.g., Royal arcade, Block arcade. The alternative is to head to New Quay, which has a number of outlet shops; or the other factory outlet that has newly opened just on the edge of town near the Exhibition Building.

You might also find that there are a number of stage productions, classical concerts etc in Melbourne. It certainly won't be anything like the West End in London, but it's not bad...

If you'd like to provide a bit more detail around what your family would like to do and your interests, I'm sure you'll find plenty of friendly rivalry between the Melbournians and Sydneysiders to outdo each other in our recommendations and advice.. :laughing:

queenie82's given you a great start with her summary!

Some other upmarket options include Tetsuya's, Guillaume at Bennelong and Quay. The last 2 has beautiful view of the Harbour. Will you be here this coming July/August or in 2011? Tetsuya's will need reservations a fair way ahead particularly if you are after Fri or Sat night bookings.

Sydney also has some of the best Thai food I've had outside of Thailand. Two that come to mind are Chat Thai and Spice I am. The latter is more expensive. You have to be at both early or you'll have to wait for a while, particularly Chat Thai. Chat Thai is very popular because the food is excellent at a great price! Thainatown is also good for cheap Thai street food.

If you're going to the Zoo, the ferry ride from Circular Quay to the zoo is also popular.

Don't forget there are free city circle buses that run around in a loop in both directions. They are green.

I've got a mental blank at the moment! Will come back when I think of some more.

Thanks for the replies so far, we are visiting July/August 2011 so I have plenty of time to plan.
As for interests, DH and I like the theatre, music, wildlife and general sightseeing. I like photography so will be taking lots of pictures. We also thought of doing one of the wine tours as that is something we like. We do like Thai food so would be interested in going to a nice Thai restaurant.

A few other things to consider:

• Ferry ride to Manly. Don't forget to walk to the Ocean side!
  • Bondi to Coogee walk
  • Expensive fish and chips at Doyles, Watson Bay! The atmosphere and scenery though is lovely.
  • Sydney Fish Markets

Lots of great photo ops in Sydney! Other than the already listed places to go...there's The QVB, Hyde Park and all the way down Macquarie St with our historic buildings to Circular Quay (young by European standards I realise!). The underside of the bridge and city views from Milson's point near Luna Park. For a great shot of the whole Harbour Bridge including the Opera House, try Lavender Bay or McMahon's Point (accessible by ferry). Darling Harbour (lots of places to eat around the area too - close to chinatown) And of course our beaches!

Rather than go to Melbourne Zoo (don't get me wrong I love it and am a FOTZ member) why not go out to Healesville Sanctuary if you have a car? It's a long drive but well worth it when you get there and there is some wonderful places to see in the nearby towns.

Thanks for the replies so far, we are visiting July/August 2011 so I have plenty of time to plan.
As for interests, DH and I like the theatre, music, wildlife and general sightseeing. I like photography so will be taking lots of pictures. We also thought of doing one of the wine tours as that is something we like. We do like Thai food so would be interested in going to a nice Thai restaurant.

For theatre and music in Melbourne, check out Ticketek or Ticketmaster in the new year. There are usually about 4 or 5 major musicals playing in Melbourne. Also, the Arts Centre in Melbourne (Melbourne Concert Hall, Hamer Hall etc) will also show you a calendar of events. Melbourne Recital Hall is also another good site to check for future events. For jazz music, check out Bennett's Lane.

It might also be worth keeping an eye on what the Melbourne Museum or the NGV is offering next year. Last year we had the Dali exhibit and Pompeii; and we'll have the European Masters collection and Titanic on display this year.

For Australian wildlife, I'll second Luisa's vote for Healesville Sanctuary. It is out past the Yarra Valley, so you might want to combine the vineyards with a quick visit to Healesville. Phillip Island is another day trip. You can purchase a 3-"park" pass through the RACV (Royal Auto Club Victoria) and get into Churchill Island (working farm and demonstrations), Koala Sanctuary (Native Habitat and I've always managed to catch about 5 koalas on the walk and some kangaroos occasionally) and the Fairy Penguins - they come in at sunset from the ocean.

Sightseeing - the different 'neighbourhoods' in Melbourne, Victoria Market, the arcades, the gardens (Fitzroy Gardens has Captain Cook's cottage in them), Southbank, restaurants, the sports facilities (MCG, Rod Laver, Etihad Stadium).

If you're going to the Zoo, the ferry ride from Circular Quay to the zoo is also popular.

I was going to suggest that but was hesitant given that the zoo is on a rather steep slope and it is better starting at the top and getting the ferry back. :lmao: :rotfl:
But you can catch the Sky Safari (Cable Car) up to the top of the hill and then work your way back down. But I would check in advance that it is running.

All others are great suggestions.:goodvibes

My favourite day trip from Melbourne is the Great Ocean Road. It isn't a great quality road but the views are beautiful. A tour would be a safer bet i guess if you did want to do it although you don't make all the stops we make.

Back in Sydney another EXPENSIVE but popular restaurant is ARIA. A couple of people at my office went there recently and it is all about the location.
http://www.ariarestaurant.com/

I'd look up concerts at the Opera House. Also check the Town Hall.
Plus the Art Gallery and Powerhouse Museum.

Skip Perisher as has been suggested. Just not worth it compared to other places.

Tetsuya's is a fantastic restaurant. Zasafran's at Darling Harbor is a good Indian and Chinta Ria is a good Asian at Cockle Bay.

If down at Bondi Hurricane's does good ribs.

Another option than Doyle's at Watson's Bay is the Pub next door which has the same views, good fish and chips and much cheaper.

A drive down through the National Park and the south coast is nice (excluding Wollongong).

Zoo is good, and the Aquarium is great.

What about going to watch an Australian Football match at the MCG? Try an Aussie meat pie while soaking up the atmosphere!

Thanks for all the suggestions, greatly appreciated. When in Sydney I think we will go out to Bondi beach to walk along the coast (just to say I've been there as I love watching Bondi rescue on the TV!!) and will go to Phillip Island when in Melbourne as my parents like the sound of that too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter