• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any runners here? Need shoe recommendations.

dfchelbay

DIS Veteran
Hi all. I'm looking to get back into running again. I used to run years ago and participated in 10k runs quite a bit. Then work, family and life got in the way, so running fell by the wayside. I'm going to start running again and try to work my way up to an actual full-on marathon next year. That is my goal. We shall see if it's doable after I get some miles under my belt working up to it. If it takes longer than next year, I'm fine with that too.

My question of you all is what shoes do you like or not like for running? Give the the good, the bad and the ugly of shoes you've had experiences with. I have no foot issues, no width issues or weight issues either. When I competed before the shoes I wore were Asics. Are they still around? Still a good running shoe? What's the go to running shoe these days? What shoes are runners wearing these days? Any suggestions you can give would be great. I'll then research if that shoe is a good fit for me & my level right now. Thanks fellow runners.

I'm a Hoka One One fan.

I suggest you go to a local running shoe and have them do a gait analysis while you run on a treadmill. They will look to see what your strike is, if your over pronate, under pronate, or have a neutral gait. From that they will recommend shoes that fit your gait. Buy the wrong shoes and you can cause injury.

Go get fitted at a running store. Every foot is different and there are all kinds of great shoes out there. What works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for the next. Your best bet is to get fitted or at least try on a few pairs and take a quick jog around the store.

I am not a runner but both my kids are.

I third going to a local running shoe place and having them fit your foot. They will fit you both for size and the type of shoe you need (different styles within a brand have support in different areas for different types of runners.) Our store also has a really good return policy and if you find they're not working for you, they'll replace them with something else.

My daughter likes Asics. (Yes, they're still around.)

My son wears Saucony, but recently got a pair of Mizunos that he likes. (They first fit him in Brooks, which is a very well respected brand... but they made his feet peel, so the store took them back -- and they were obviously "used" by then. They just weren't the right shoes for him. They replaced them with the Saucony, which he liked well.)

Hi all. I'm looking to get back into running again. I used to run years ago and participated in 10k runs quite a bit. Then work, family and life got in the way, so running fell by the wayside. I'm going to start running again and try to work my way up to an actual full-on marathon next year. That is my goal. We shall see if it's doable after I get some miles under my belt working up to it. If it takes longer than next year, I'm fine with that too.

My question of you all is what shoes do you like or not like for running? Give the the good, the bad and the ugly of shoes you've had experiences with. I have no foot issues, no width issues or weight issues either. When I competed before the shoes I wore were Asics. Are they still around? Still a good running shoe? What's the go to running shoe these days? What shoes are runners wearing these days? Any suggestions you can give would be great. I'll then research if that shoe is a good fit for me & my level right now. Thanks fellow runners.

I really like most Nike free run versions. I loved the 3 because it had a wide toe box and a very small drop from front to back. My foot strike changed when I got a minimal drop. The closer I get to a natural shoe the better for me. My trainer/ doctor is a 19 time finisher of the iron man competition and featured in magazines. I started to have bad shin splints when training and he said that my shoes were all wrong. He feels that the closer you get to a natural run the better. He said that the more structured the shoe is the more it just weaKens the muscles you should be using. Usually a shoe with a large drop from front to back causes you to strike in the wrong area of your foot. I know a lot of runners may disagree with this but I will say that I went from knee issues and shin splints to no pain once I bought a less structured running shoe. You may want to move this to the exercise/ competition board. Can't remember the name. I used to post their frequently when I ran the Disney marathon. The are very informative and halpful!!!

Absolutely get fitted at a store and try out multiple options, there are also some running stores that have really good return policies if something isn't working out well for you once you get home. Shoe manufacturers also make tweaks to their shoes each year, so just because a shoe works for you one year doesn't necessarily mean that it will work for you the following year so keep that in mind as you buy shoes over time.

My husband and I both wear Mizunos, he switched to a different brand last year after he broke his foot, but is back in his Mizunos now. I can't wear Brooks or New Balance at all because they bother my heel, I also wear the lightest most breathable shoes possible, because I hate my feet being hot or feeling heavy when I run.

Good luck and remember to avoid doing too much, too fast, too soon!

As others have said, go get fitted.

My favorite shoe is Asics. I get the Gel-Kayano because it is a stability shoe which is something I need. I have very little arch. I find that I always gravitate back to that brand.

My son was fitted a few years ago and was given Saucony. He's tried other brands but always goes back to Saucony. My husband is a marathoner and he loves the Hoka One shoe. I bought a pair and they felt awful on me. To each his own. My husband has issues with plantar fasciitis and I think the Hoka Ones help with that.

Thanks for the input. Guess it shows how long I've been out of the loop. Getting fitted wasn't a thing when I ran before...lol I'm definitely going to have that done. Thanks again

Thanks for the input. Guess it shows how long I've been out of the loop. Getting fitted wasn't a thing when I ran before...lol I'm definitely going to have that done. Thanks again

Look to see if you have a Road Runner near you. They do a great job fitting you and they have an amazing return policy. They allowed me to return a pair of Hoka's that I had already done a half marathon and a 70.3 Ironman in. Hoka changed the drop (heel to toe difference) and the drastic drop caused an injury. When we figured out what happened, I just mentioned to the sales person what had happened. He told me to return the well-worn shoes as they were within the return period. He even went a step further to find the first generation of that shoe so I could have it for my Ironman a few weeks later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter