Any reports of people overheating and passing out with masks

borgthe

DIS Veteran
Also, is it difficult to get enough water? I'm used to walking around the parks with a cup of water. Can't do that with mask, right? We go in August when it's at the worst humidity wise.

Thanks!!

We're at Universal this week, and I haven't noticed anyone passed out or anyone who looked like they were overheating. What I have seen is people walking on to every ride because the park capacity is extremely low (seriously: if the wait time is longer than 20 minutes, watch the app and come back later). I hate wearing a mask but it doesn't bother me much and these wait times make it totally worth it.

I have seen people request water from quick service spots and have no problem getting it. Hand sanitizer is applied before getting on every ride and there are hand sanitizer dispensers as you get off every ride. We also got to check out the Bourne Stuntacular, which is still in rehearsal but is doing public rehearsals. Was super cool.

Also, is it difficult to get enough water? I'm used to walking around the parks with a cup of water. Can't do that with mask, right? We go in August when it's at the worst humidity wise.

Thanks!!
If it's possible, maybe you can add a straw to your cup of water. The straw would bit up underneath the mask for easy access. Or, just do like recommended above - pull down/up to drink, put the mask back on when you're done.

As a healthcare worker I do not understand why people think you can’t breath or will overheat in a mask. OR staff wear them for hours on end without major issues and more complicated surgeries like transplants can be a half a day or longer. Sure they may be uncomfortable but those staff are also wearing Gore-Tex/surgical gowns, sometimes lead aprons, booties and other things. If the masks are so bad for you and don’t protect against the spread of germs maybe they should be eliminated in the surgical areas.

Like those that work in masks regular the key is take a break periodically. Get a drink since you are allowed to remove a mask to eat or drink.

As a healthcare worker I do not understand why people think you can’t breath or will overheat in a mask. OR staff wear them for hours on end without major issues and more complicated surgeries like transplants can be a half a day or longer. Sure they may be uncomfortable but those staff are also wearing Gore-Tex/surgical gowns, sometimes lead aprons, booties and other things. If the masks are so bad for you and don’t protect against the spread of germs maybe they should be eliminated in the surgical areas.

Like those that work in masks regular the key is take a break periodically. Get a drink since you are allowed to remove a mask to eat or drink.

If they're overheating, then they're failing at self care. You should be monitoring yourself for potential heat stroke if you're walking the parks in the summer.

I think the poster just wanted to know how the mask situation was working in the heat of the parks at Universal.

As a retired RN, yes we wore gown, gloves, masks etc.....during procedures, but typically you are in a air conditioned environment in the hospital, ER, IR, OR, X-RAY.....etc....and while it is uncomfortable even in hospital air conditioned environment it would be exponentially more uncomfortable while walking outdoors in 90 degree heat.

As Nurses we are used to masks. Others are not.

I have read others here are using disposable masks which they felt are easy to breath through.

No matter what mask you choose to wear.....

1. Take breaks walking through the shops. The air is nice and cool in there and a quick reprieve from the sun and heat.

2. Stay well hydrated. There is free ice water at almost all the areas that sell drinks. Take your mask off while drinking.

3. Take a nice lunch in a sit down restaurant in the parks of your choice. Mytho’s In IOA is always nice and cool. Your masks will be off while eating and drinking in a nice cool environment. Check out the Universal website for restaurant options.

4. Break up your day. If you are staying onsite take advantage of early entry if it’s available. Ride what you want during the morning hours before it gets to hot. Then go back to your Resort for a rest and a swim. Then head back to parks later in afternoon.

5. If your wearing cotton masks. Bring multiple masks. These can be washed.

6. Take your mask off in designated areas. I think I read somewhere that Universal had those scattered in the park. Sinbad arena next to Poseidon’s Fury was one of them.

7. Let a TM if you are not well so they can assist you.

8. Be nice and give some extra encouragement to the TM’s in the park. They are wearing masks during their shift. This is new to them too.

The nice thing about Universal Orlando is there are a lot of areas out of the sun as you wait to get on the rides. There are nice shows to watch for a cool rest also.

If you or a loved one feels faint sit down immediately with your back to a wall..... and ask someone to get a TM FOR HELP. It is better to faint from a sitting position with someone to support you then to sustain a fall standing which could cause significant trauma.

Sips of ice water while you awake and are resting and ice to the back of the neck helps. While the medic team is on its way.

Universal has a medical team in the parks to assist you if needed.

I was very impressed to see their efforts to make sure their visitors are safely cared for if needed.

That all being said......if you have a medical condition that is exacerbated by physical exertion in the heat, would be a good thing to hold off your trip to parks until the weather is cooler.

If you are sick or have been exposed to someone who is sick stay home..

I know a lot of people have had to cancel their vacations do to travel restrictions or illness. Better to replan a nice vacation once things are safer for you to do so if needed.

We are all trying to figure out the best way to continue going on with our lives as normal as possible.

Be nice to each other and watch out for one another.

Enjoy Universal Studios when you go. It’s awesome :wizard:

Last edited:

I think for most people this mask issue is overblown. I have allergies and digestive issues and pretty much drink water constantly. However, since wearing a mask a lot, I have found that I can actually space out my drinking a lot. I don't even bring water into the grocery store with me anymore; whereas before, I would feel dehydrated if I didn't. I think it's partly due to the moist air that you breath in with a mask. I have also been wearing my mask at the gym for circuit training/bootcamp with a trainer. I do drink water, but I do it less frequently and just pull down the mask to take some gulps. I have also been wearing it for hot flow yoga without any issues. I do take some drinks, but again, not nearly what I used to do. We have also gone hiking with our masks in pretty much full sun. I live in Texas. If you have breathing issues or other medical issues, then you should absolutely take those into consideration.

EDIT: I have also noticed that my allergies and nose stuffiness are a bit better with a mask. Again, I think it's the moist air that you breathe in. I know moisture from a neti pot or a humidifier can help allergies, so maybe it's similar on a smaller scale.

Universal TM have no problem with you pulling down the mask while walking around to take a drink- we've been doing it all week. We do try to make sure we aren't too close to anyone, but I think the line markers are kind of teaching everyone what six feet is. It's pretty funny that even when there aren't markers (like in the stores) pretty much everyone stays 6 feet apart anyway- seriously, I feel safer here then at the grocery store!

I think I'm a pretty simple person - maybe too simple! But this mask thing is pretty clear in my head (my opinion). I understand completely the requirement to wear them in public places, where social distancing could be compromised (even by accident), at a place like, say the Magic Kingdom. People wonder around and might try to be socially distant, but are easily distracted with the park - all of a sudden, you're bumping into someone. So the masks are required to protect others, as there is absolutely no way at this point to determine if someone might be contagious or not. And the mask isn't 100% protection, but it's significantly more protection than no mask. So if I want people to wear a mask to protect my health and the health of my loved ones for the short-term, it would be completely hypocritical of me to not be aware of the health concerns of some mask-wearers. I don't want their health to be compromised either. So I'm glad to hear that there are some locations that will offer social distancing areas and the opportunity to take a break from the masks. That's just as important as the masks being worn among the crowds. Seems like we can protect everyone a bit better with some cooperation and understanding.

I'd advise anyone who struggles with the heat and humidity in FL to stay away from the theme parks. We live in FL but still struggle with the heat and humidity, and know that having to wear a mask all day outside in it would be way too much for us. We know that the requirement may be at the theme parks permanently but that's the way it goes

Last edited:
Does anyone know where specifically in each Universal park and at Citywalk the U-Rest locations are located? I can't find any on the park maps.

I think for most people this mask issue is overblown. I have allergies and digestive issues and pretty much drink water constantly. However, since wearing a mask a lot, I have found that I can actually space out my drinking a lot. I don't even bring water into the grocery store with me anymore; whereas before, I would feel dehydrated if I didn't. I think it's partly due to the moist air that you breath in with a mask. I have also been wearing my mask at the gym for circuit training/bootcamp with a trainer. I do drink water, but I do it less frequently and just pull down the mask to take some gulps. I have also been wearing it for hot flow yoga without any issues. I do take some drinks, but again, not nearly what I used to do. We have also gone hiking with our masks in pretty much full sun. I live in Texas. If you have breathing issues or other medical issues, then you should absolutely take those into consideration.

EDIT: I have also noticed that my allergies and nose stuffiness are a bit better with a mask. Again, I think it's the moist air that you breathe in. I know moisture from a neti pot or a humidifier can help allergies, so maybe it's similar on a smaller scale.

Well the mask would filter out pollen and debris, so that would reduce allergies.

Read one poster said a U rest zone was located at the former sinbad theater

check the UO website as the U rest zones are listed for locations.

I have not gone to UO yet but read a few posts they used the U rest zones

Well the mask would filter out pollen and debris, so that would reduce allergies.

Definitely! I also think breathing moist air helps to keep the airways moist. As of next week, the mask is required while working out at my gym due to increases in cases/hospitalizations/deaths here in Austin. Luckily, I was already wearing mine the whole time.

When I got there a few days ago a couple was leaving within a couple hours of opening. I heard the lady tell a security guard they just can't handle the masks. She was polite and not grumpy about it. Just "matter of fact..."

I fish a lot....everglades, keys, Okeechobee, Pine island.....all very muggy and hot. I wear fishing masks but there is definitely something different about being required and worried someone is going to snap at you. It definitely wasn't the most comfortable situation for hours......especially if you like to keep a nice pace.
I could tell Thursday some of the employees were tired of repeating "cover your mouth AND nose please". Some had a nice tone.....others were seemingly frustrated. One lady clapped back "it was one second.....calm down.....my strap came loose!"
I kinda didn't blame her.....i saw her in front of me and the employee jumped on her as soon as she tried to adjust it.
I heard another lady in line at the train station get snippy because she was on her phone with mask off and said "well ...now they won't be able to hear me....thanks a lot." The employee had a very nice tone. I did kinda blame her. If I go somewhere and know I'm breaking a rule I don't blame the other person (I may still break that rule. :) but its not their fault and I don't put it back on them like they did something wrong)

I did see one older woman pass out. She was with a large group and 2 men helped her to a bench. They realized it wasn't shaded so they tried to move her again. An employee came over and they said "can we please remove her mask". They asked to move her away from the crowd first. Another person with a first aid kit showed up and they moved her. She was clearly woozy and as I was able to get away out of the line of people staring i saw another person coming with a wheel chair.

It is rough. I think the masks are ridiculous and I have politely said "no thank you" and left places that requires them. No need for a scene like some people have done but we all have our line we are willing to cross. Mine is low crowds. I'll deal with it and get my money's worth while I can. Just make a mask that fits you and is comfortable. I saw a lady that took a shoe string and tied it around her face and draped a napkin over it. It fit the rules. I'm sure it hurt a few feelings along the way. Im not saying to do that, im just providing an extreme of how you can make something that works best for you. I have tons of fishing neck gaiters so I cut one in half just to reduce the build up in the neck.
One lady used hair ties and a bandana.
I saw tons of versions.

REMEMBER TO PUT THEM IN A PLASTIC BAG ON WATER RIDES.....CAN BE HARD TO BREATHE THROUGH IF WET.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter