Any recommendations on what to do with grandma?

artemis908

EPCOTnaut
Alright, so my husband's grandmother lives about an hour from Disney World. She can't really drive to us. I don't really want to leave WDW quite honestly, especially with free dining. So right now we are working on a few options

1. My husband's cousin also lives in Florida (though she is often away) and if she is around, she might pick grandma up and meet us

2. My husband could rent a car for the day and pick grandma up and drop her off

I am thinking maybe we go to Downtown Disney, though I would be willing to pay for her admission to any of the parks I have a feeling she won't be up for it.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or ideas on what we can do and where we could go? Somewhere grandma friendly, on property, etc.

If you have the funds, you could get a towncar to driver her to you. Roundtrip is probably the same as from the airport, about $115.

As for a park event, maybe the fantasmic dinner and show? After that, you can take the boat over to the Boardwalk. They have performers in the evening that you can watch as you walk the boardwalk.

what time does your flight leave on your last day? Could you rent a car on your check-out day, drive to Grandma's and take her our to brunch or lunch? Then drive on to the airport for your flight home?

Or do that on your first day...rent car at airport, drive to her home, visit briefly & take her out for a meal. Then head to Disney World for your vacation.

Did you ever think about having Grandma and one of her friends who drives meet you for dinner one night? There are so many restaurants at the resorts, Downtown Disney and at the Boardwalk where park admission would not be required. I'd definitely treat The driver to dinner. Dinner would have to be early because older folks don't like to drive in the dark (Unless Grandma is a cougar and she is being driven by a younger man ;) ) Perhaps you could do a lunch, maybe at your resort?

The trick here is to try and get Grandma to find a way to get to you. The rest is a relative piece of cake!

Good luck with your plans and have a great vacation!

Lunch at the GFC in the Grand Floridian is a good place

That's awesome that you get to treat your grandma-in-law to Disney World! Maybe have lunch or dinner at the resort you're staying before heading out to the park. I hope she does want to go the park.. at least to see maybe The Lion King Show at AK or Fantasmic! at DHS. She may not want to do any rides, but she can at least watch some shows.

Have you mentioned to your grandma-in-law about what you have in mind? What does your grandma-in-law say about this? Maybe you can ask her what she wants to do. I hope she is willing to ride for about an hour to Disney and back because sometimes grandmas prefer the family come to them instead of them come out to the family, just due to their age and their fragile health. I know cause my parents are very old, they are less mobile.

However you guys plan it, I hope everyone and including your g-i-l will have a magical time!! I hope it will be a very memorable one! :wizard:

Don't know what kid of health Grandma is in, or what resort you're staying in.
But she could come and hang out with you at your resort, have lunch together at the resort or go to a different resort if yours doesn't have a TS dining option.

If Cousin could get her that would be the best option. If husband had to drive an hour to get her, and an hour back to WDW, that's 2 hrs drive per trip. Not a good option for him. 4 hrs driving in a day.
As I see it, you're only other option if cousin can't drive is to suck it up and go visit her for the day :goodvibes

Extend the vacation by arriving a day early and spending the extra day with Grandma. Stay offsite the first day if the budget doesn't allow for onsite, or stay onsite to get the extra day's worth of free dining credits.

If the cousin can't bring grandma to you, I'd rent the car and go with DH to grandma's house for lunch and a visit. It would only take a few hours and probably mean the world to her. If its timed well, you would be able to do a morning rope drop and be back in time for dinner and evening Disney fireworks or what have you.

Have you thought about renting an electric vehicle for her? She would be able to get around easily and enjoy a park and a couple of nice meals.

I would definitely ask her which she prefers, her coming to disney or you guys going to her.

If grandma is willing to come to disney, I love the idea someone posted of renting a town car to go pick her up and bring her back later.

You won't have to worry about time taken away from your trip and the expense might be similar if your dh had to rent a car for the day to go get her, or to get you guys to her. Don't have to worry about night time driving issues, etc.

They often have a piano player, or a mini orchestra type of band playing in the GF lobby. She may love that. Or the boardwalk is exciting enough w/out being overly crazy for grandma.

Or you could treat her to the Poly luau show, or the Hoop de doo Review show. No walking around for her, and the shows are a little more intimate than Fantasmic, and you eat while the show is going on.

If grandma can't come to disney, obviously you have to go to her. I personally would want to add a day to the trip to do that. Then you won't feel like you're missing something at Disney, and you can enjoy your visit with her fully and not be rushed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter