Any packing cubes fans? Teach me your ways!

I had no idea such a thing existed. For our last trip I did the ziplock bag thing and it worked awesome. Might have to try these for the next trip!

Those bags look like they take up so much space - like mini suitcases inside of your suitcase? How do you compensate for the space they take up?

Why not use the travel versions of space saver bags?
They don't. Our bags actually weigh less when I use them, then when I don't. We're a big fans of them.

Love, love, love packing cubes! We like to do split stays, usually 3-4 nights at each hotel. Each person has two large packing bags. In each bag we pack 4 complete outfits (kids put the outfits together) including swimsuits and pjs. We also include a large plastic bag (for dirty laundry) in every cube. We then pack one packing cube for each person (we travel with 4 of us) in a large suitcase. We also have an extra suitcase for all toiletries, shoes, umbrellas, raincoats, snacks, etc. When we get to the first hotel, we "unpack" the suitcase with the packing cubes. This can be done in 2 minutes since all we do is unzip it and lay it in a drawer. (For those resorts without sufficient drawers, we just set the open packing cube on a desk or other flat surface.) As clothing becomes soiled, they are put in the plastic bag. With this method, one luggage (clothes for days 4-8) is never opened at the first hotel.

When we move to the 2nd hotel, we open the second piece of luggage and have a complete set of clean clothes. This method works for a trip of 7-8 days. If our trip is longer, we do laundry around day 7 and repack. This allows us to only be using two pieces of luggage at a time with the 3rd one stored away. The plastic bags allow for easy distinction between clean and soiled laundry. It keeps the room neat and tidy and its easy for the kids to find their clothes each day. This method really works for us!

Ok, just analyzing this. You say each person has two large packing bags....bags or cubes? That's the only thing confusing me. How many suitcases total do you have? I am hoping to get most of our stuff into 2 large suitcases, and then we will have 3-4 carry-ons, plus car seat...and stroller....ugh....lol

I have heard of packing cubes and read a couple threads where people talked about using them, but this is the first one I've really paid attention to and I must say I'm intrigued! As the world's worst packer I think I definitely need these........going to look into them asap :thumbsup2 Our trip last month was just DH and I for 5 nights, but we had 2 HUGE suitcases AND 2 carry-ons that were completely filled!

And...would it be overkill for me to still use my ziploc bags inside of the packing cubes that are inside the suitcases, lol?

Haha, I just can't part with the ziploc bags...and we always end up using them during the trip for various things!!
How's your new little lady doing?
Doing well! So far she's real easy baby and really just goes with the flow. She really only cries if she's wet, and if I don't feed her quick enough, but otherwise she's highly content. She's very much the opposite of how DD1 was. It's amazing how siblings can be complete opposites.

I bought packing cubes recently and did a trial run with them, just to see how they would work, what I could fit in each. I was AMAZED. I could fit all my clothes in 2 medium ebags packing cubes. I'm definitely a less is more type of packer though :)
I have heard of packing cubes and read a couple threads where people talked about using them, but this is the first one I've really paid attention to and I must say I'm intrigued! As the world's worst packer I think I definitely need these........going to look into them asap :thumbsup2 Our trip last month was just DH and I for 5 nights, but we had 2 HUGE suitcases AND 2 carry-ons that were completely filled!

I have to say that that amount of luggage makes me cringe! I'm definitely a less is more type of packer. After I packed for a 4 week trip including snorkel gear, winter coats and gloves, and everything in between in one bag per person, I can pack for anything!

Planning on one medium-large suitcase for 4 of us for 7 days at Disney.

I bought packing cubes recently and did a trial run with them, just to see how they would work, what I could fit in each. I was AMAZED. I could fit all my clothes in 2 medium ebags packing cubes. I'm definitely a less is more type of packer though :)

I have to say that that amount of luggage makes me cringe! I'm definitely a less is more type of packer. After I packed for a 4 week trip including snorkel gear, winter coats and gloves, and everything in between in one bag per person, I can pack for anything!

:worship:

I will never get away with that little luggage.

:worship:

I will never get away with that little luggage.

Me neither! Kudos to you, JaimeK :thumbsup2 I hope I learn to pack more efficiently before I'm only packing for DH and I, but no way do I expect to ever get all 4 of us down to 1 suitcase!

Any more ideas about where to purchase packing cubes? I've seen TJMaxx/Marshalls and IKEA. Others? I know Amazon sells them but since I've never tried them before I'd like to buy locally so I can take them back if we decide it doesn't work for us (though I'm not seeing that being a problem). Also, I'm hoping to buy multiple of the same size for a decent price instead of a pack of 7 different sizes or only 3 of one size. We leave at the end of the month and I'm already making my packing list!

And...would it be overkill for me to still use my ziploc bags inside of the packing cubes that are inside the suitcases, lol?

I've done this for my DD before and it worked fine but I decided it was overkill for me; but I have been using packing cubes for years, I honestly can't imagine packing a bag without them (I even use them for my gym bag). I typically use a different color for each person (actually just me and DD, DH packs himself). I purchased some from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014QYD9PS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that are very large by comparison to most packing cubes. I find these better for trying to pack most and/or all of someones clothes for a trip. I'd also recommend getting everyone the same size cubes (at least the kids) I find that they stack easier.

I use ziplock bags for kids and usually one or two of my outfits. I find the ziplock method works well for kids. Toss them a bag in the morning and if they are small, grab one for the stroller or backpack.

I have one packing cube. Maybe if I had more I would find it more useful.

I just make sure that some of my clothes go into my niece's bag and some of her's go into mine. I had them loose one bag before (they did find it and get it to me) on a direct flight.

They don't. Our bags actually weigh less when I use them, then when I don't. We're a big fans of them.

Wow, you've managed to break science! ;)

There's no way using them makes your bag weigh less. Things weigh what they weigh. Then you add in the weight of the cubes themselves.

Wow, you've managed to break science! ;)

There's no way using them makes your bag weigh less. Things weigh what they weigh. Then you add in the weight of the cubes themselves.

I think they help me pack more efficiently so I'm less prone to taking too much extra stuff. Also they add ounces because all of the ones I have are made out of super light weight material. Sure they may technical you add a few ounces but we're not ultralight camping here so a few extra ounces to organize your bag efficiently and make you rethink a few extra items you are trying to cram into a nook or cranny is worth it IMO.

For the adults, I buy the three pack of mesh laundry washing bags for $1 from the dollar tree. The zippers aren't aren't finished at the ends so I just stitch the zipper ends together and wash them. Then, they will fit a pair of pants, a shirt, socks and underwear perfectly. For our son, I do the ziplock method. For bathroom items, I have two dopp kits and I use a hanging toiletry kit for my jewelry. I also take two mesh laundry bags to store the dirty laundry and empty washing bags in the closet.

We set up the ironing board in the closet as a second luggage holder and even bring a collapsing storage cube to keep our room snacks tidy. We don't tend to use the drawers and unpack because I will inevitably forget something!

We use the packing cubes for our carry on and park backpack. Each child has a different color and each slim packing cube contains a full change of clothes (shorts, t-shirt, underwear etc..), I also have a 'tech kit' that houses a battery pack for phones, charging leads etc.. and we have a first aid pack, all color coordinated so when opening the top of the bag can easily distinguish between the bags and pull out what we need.

If you really want to get into the weeds of organization you can start looking at the more expensive 'military' style 'fat packs' and organizers from manufacturers like Vanquest. I use these all the time at my work as well as my daily bag organizers, a little pricey but they will last a lifetime literally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter