Any ideas on how to kill a cough???

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
UGH have had a lingering cough that is BAD at night for a week. I assume when I move around in bed the chest congestion shifts and I literally wake up gagging and coughing. Last night was HORRIBLE. Have been taking Musinex Sinus but I don't think it is doing much. Had a bad virus last Saturday and the cough and chest congestion remain.....THANKS!

Are you taking the correct Mucinex? I remember I took the strongest Mucinex DM I believe and it was extra strength. Take two and cough should stop for a,while.

Chest cold coughs for me takes a couple weeks to dissipate. I like to take Sudafed (the real deal - pseudophedrine) at night. Seems to help.

There is prescription medication for "residual" coughs. That's the only thing that will kill mine.

You should take an expectorant to loosen the phlegm and mucus and cough the crap up when you are awake. In the evening, before going to sleep, take the suppressant.

Nagging coughs can unfortunately linger for a few weeks following an infection (viral or bacterial)-however if the mucus is discolored (indicating infection) and does not go away 10-14 days after onset you should see a doctor-viruses typically improve in a week on their own 2 at most if it hangs on longer than that it may be a bacterial infection that would require an antibiotic
In the mean time the strongest thing for the cough over the counter would be maximum strength mucinex dm. You should also try to increase your fluids as much as possible to thin the mucus to make it easier to cough up and get it out of your lungs-if you mainly have a productive cough during the day (as opposed to a dry hacking one) you could use plain mucinex in the blue box (no letters at the end) for the day and mucinex dm (green box) at night. If you like honey that can also help with coughs. I hate honey but I do drink a ton of tea when I have a cough-the warm liquid seems to help calm my cough reflex.
Beyond over the counter remedies there are prescription cough syrups with codeine and hydrocodone which not only treat cough but as a side effect cause drowsiness so may help with sleep-but getting one of those would require seeing your doctor.

I still have my cough at night. It can literally take 2 weeks for a cough to LEAVE THE PARTY. I tried a multitude of over the counter products. FINALLY last night I took "the cough pearl" my doctor prescribed for me in Dec. and it didn't help but last night LOW AND BEHOLD....it worked. You might need a prescription.

I still have my cough at night. It can literally take 2 weeks for a cough to LEAVE THE PARTY. I tried a multitude of over the counter products. FINALLY last night I took "the cough pearl" my doctor prescribed for me in Dec. and it didn't help but last night LOW AND BEHOLD....it worked. You might need a prescription.
Wow tessalon pearles worked for you-good to know.....never worked for me (or others I know who have used it) which is why I didn't suggest it in my previous post-always felt like it was a waste of money lol

Op here You guys are great, THANKS! What I took last night that was a DISASTER b/c all I did was cough was Muxinex PM blue box Sinus Max. My cough goes between productive and dry just sort of depends....Saw my Dr. yesterday, no fluid in lungs etc. She said take Musinex but din't say which one.

I leave for vacation next Friday and want this better. :( I can feel congestion in my ear and in my chest. Earlier in all of this I took musinex DM (green box) and hated how I felt. Very jittery and sick to the stomach.

So sutafed is something I haven't done...Day 9 of this beast...

I am sorry you have this cough. I don't have an answer for this but when I saw your post I asked my Dad who is a Internal Medicine Doctor. He agrees with a few of the other members here that Mucinex DM is the way to go to help with the cough. If there is an infection in your lungs then you probably need to get on a regiment of an Antibiotic. I guess you are currently on vacation at WDW which may make this option really difficulty but he said have you tried a vaporizer machine using water vapor and Vicks vapor rub in it. If you can get one have this positioned at night to blow towards you face. My dad says breathing in this vapor will help you breathe properly and limit that annoying cough. I hope you feel better soon. It sucks being sick at WDW.

I am sorry you have this cough. I don't have an answer for this but when I saw your post I asked my Dad who is a Internal Medicine Doctor. He agrees with a few of the other members here that Mucinex DM is the way to go to help with the cough. If there is an infection in your lungs then you probably need to get on a regiment of an Antibiotic. I guess you are currently on vacation at WDW which may make this option really difficulty but he said have you tried a vaporizer machine using water vapor and Vicks vapor rub in it. If you can get one have this positioned at night to blow towards you face. My dad says breathing in this vapor will help you breathe properly and limit that annoying cough. I hope you feel better soon. It sucks being sick at WDW.

Thanks! actually I leave Friday the 3rd but am trying to heal before that! I was going to ask my Dr. for a steroid pak thinking that would help the immflamation. Maybe I will try Mucinex DM again. Made me so jittery b/c I really never take medicine but perhaps I will suck up the jitters...I do have a vaporizer in the basement and viks rub I will do this tonight as well. Tell dad thanks!!!

Thanks! actually I leave Friday the 3rd but am trying to heal before that! I was going to ask my Dr. for a steroid pak thinking that would help the immflamation. Maybe I will try Mucinex DM again. Made me so jittery b/c I really never take medicine but perhaps I will suck up the jitters...I do have a vaporizer in the basement and viks rub I will do this tonight as well. Tell dad thanks!!!
Sure no problem I will let him know. Please let use know if it gives you any relief. Plus enjoy your vacation to the most Magical place there is.

Hope you are better before you leave :)

Last edited:
Also...I would take a multivitamin and extra Vitamin D to help your immune system fight it. Feel better soon!

I have the same lingering cough it seems. Still tons of coughing especially after having to talk all day at work. A coworker recommended Delsym PM to me for the nighttime cough. It has worked really well and I have been getting sleep. It also does not leave me tired in the AM like many PM formulas do. My coworker said one of the doctors in our department had recommended it to her, so that made the recommendation even better in my eyes. Oh my regular doctor gave me something with codeine that was keeping me up at night and making me very warm. The Delssym PM has been much better than the prescription stuff from me doc. Hope you can get rid of it before vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter