Any flexibility at BOG lunch with modifying a dish?

pangyal

#TeamSven
I am one of those parents with a wonderful child who has been exposed to a ridiculous amount of multicultural, interesting, delicious types of food and who yet still insists on subsisting on nuggets, pizza, and hamburgers. We are taking my dad for a first-time trip in May and I'd love for him to see the inside of BOG, so I booked a lunch. Kiddo struck out at dinner there last time with the grilled cheese, as it was made with some sort of cheddar and he will only eat mozzarella (yep).

My question is- how possible might it be to get them to make the lunch grilled cheese when it's QS with mozzarella instead? Are there are opportunities for requests like this? We've only had the QS breakfast without any modifications, and the dinner, so I'm not sure if there would even be a way to ask for this.

Nothing on the menu uses mozz so That kitchen doesnt even have mozzarella. Even if they did that level of customization they can't use ingredients that don't have.

My thought exactly. If they don't have the ingredients there is NO WAY that they can do it.

Nothing on the menu uses mozz so That kitchen doesnt even have mozzarella. Even if they did that level of customization they can't use ingredients that don't have.
They do, it's in their pasta dish, so I thought maybe they could be able to use it for the grilled cheese.

They do, it's in their pasta dish, so I thought maybe they could be able to use it for the grilled cheese.
It's shredded mozzarella "cheese that isn't cheese." You can't make a sandwich with that. Even if it was the right type of cheese, they really aren't equipped to handle custom orders. You can ask them to leave things off (i.e. no tomatoes) or switch a side, and that's about it.

It's shredded mozzarella "cheese that isn't cheese." You can't make a sandwich with that. Even if it was the right type of cheese, they really aren't equipped to handle custom orders. You can ask them to leave things off (i.e. no tomatoes) or switch a side, and that's about it.
Ah, I didn't realize it was shredded. Thanks everyone! It was a long shot, but I thought I'd ask the experts. We've never eaten there for lunch.

They top the french onion soup (among other things) with Gruyère, which melts a lot like mozzarella and likewise has a very mild flavor. If it were a critical issue, I would ask what cheese is used in the grilled cheese and if it could be substituted with Gruyère. It can't hurt to ask.

That said... and I am in no way judging anyone's parenting on this issue, we all pick our battles and I give up plenty of parent-ground on plenty of issues... but...

Okay, depending on the age of the kid, like anywhere near 10 yr old, this might be a great opportunity for a life lesson in how to grin and bear it. I don't mean that everyone should just start making their kids eat stuff they don't like. I mean that eating something you don't really love IS something we all are expected to do from time to time. And this might be one of those times. Discuss it in advance, offer options from the menu, let him decide, then start making deals. He's only got to eat at the entree slowly until gramps is done then you get a dessert. Bribe him with a promised treat later maybe. Whatever it takes that is fair, but acknowledges that what you are asking of him is outside the norm.

My son has the same weird thing - only mozzarella...no other cheese! And for that matter, only melted mozzarella is edible. Athoughh I have convinced him that swiss is the same thing. We are also going to BOG for lunch on our next trip.

Is there not any other dish at BOG that might be easier to modify for him to eat?

BTW, I just checked and the croque monsieur is served with gruyere cheese. Alternatively I am thinking of a plain carved turkey for my son. Or he might be ok sharing a braised pork. He pretty much lives on nuggets and pizza at Disney though.

They top the french onion soup (among other things) with Gruyère, which melts a lot like mozzarella and likewise has a very mild flavor. If it were a critical issue, I would ask what cheese is used in the grilled cheese and if it could be substituted with Gruyère. It can't hurt to ask.

That said... and I am in no way judging anyone's parenting on this issue, we all pick our battles and I give up plenty of parent-ground on plenty of issues... but...

Okay, depending on the age of the kid, like anywhere near 10 yr old, this might be a great opportunity for a life lesson in how to grin and bear it. I don't mean that everyone should just start making their kids eat stuff they don't like. I mean that eating something you don't really love IS something we all are expected to do from time to time. And this might be one of those times. Discuss it in advance, offer options from the menu, let him decide, then start making deals. He's only got to eat at the entree slowly until gramps is done then you get a dessert. Bribe him with a promised treat later maybe. Whatever it takes that is fair, but acknowledges that what you are asking of him is outside the norm.
When my son turned 10 I did exactly this. I got tired of never being able to eat where we wanted because he wouldn't venture outside of his comfort zone. That being said, my son is still at 19, somewhat picky. LOL!!

Now, he can usually find something that he will eat.

I am in no way judging you because I've been there. Trust me. It was the most annoying thing. Especially when I would give him certain foods and he would make a gagging noise. He told me years later that he was making them on purpose. Because he knew I wouldn't make him eat whatever food I was trying to get him to eat.

Something that helped was going to the buffets. Letting him get what he wanted, but making him try some new things. For every familiar thing he ate, he had to try at least on new thing. This was how he found out he liked steak.

I was the kind of child that ate everything. My husband was the picky eater.

We used to bribe him with his favorite treat at Disney. Cotton Candy. LOL!!He would eat and he never starved....LOL!!

the pork is awesome, my 19 year old daughter and I share it, it is very similar to my beef pot roast. It is served in a bowl on top of mashed potatoes with sautéed green beans in the same bowl. Does he have problems with food touching? The reason I ask is my older daughter's best friend is 22 and cannot stand to have food touch. Will he eat potato soup? Theirs is very very good. If nothing appeals to him on the menu I'd pick my battles and order him a cupcake, then let him eat nuggets afterward, or before your reservation.

Does he have problems with food touching? The reason I ask is my older daughter's best friend is 22 and cannot stand to have food touch.

I had to laugh at that. I hate when my food touches other foods, but for some reason it never bother me as much at Disney. Although I have been known to get multiple plates when I go to buffets...LOL!!

I had to laugh at that. I hate when my food touches other foods, but for some reason it never bother me as much at Disney. Although I have been known to get multiple plates when I go to buffets...LOL!!
I know when Jessie (the friend) was with us she wanted to try the pork in our bowl but OMG, it was mixed with the mashed potatoes and the green beans. It was tragic!

I am one of those parents with a wonderful child who has been exposed to a ridiculous amount of multicultural, interesting, delicious types of food and who yet still insists on subsisting on nuggets, pizza, and hamburgers. We are taking my dad for a first-time trip in May and I'd love for him to see the inside of BOG, so I booked a lunch. Kiddo struck out at dinner there last time with the grilled cheese, as it was made with some sort of cheddar and he will only eat mozzarella (yep).

My question is- how possible might it be to get them to make the lunch grilled cheese when it's QS with mozzarella instead? Are there are opportunities for requests like this? We've only had the QS breakfast without any modifications, and the dinner, so I'm not sure if there would even be a way to ask for this.
How about a breakfast (they have cereal - albeit overpriced) or dinner (mac and cheese?) Will he eat fries? You can get just a side of fries at lunch. a friend of mine can go anywhere where she can get her kid some fries and the kid is happy, she can go where she wants and it's a win all around. I agree that sometimes (on vacation especially) you just have to do what is easiest and not insist on perfection for every one. Good habits at home won't be spoiled by fries or a cupcake for lunch on vacation.

It's tough when you have competing needs. My son is pretty picky too but was much better in 2016 at 8 than 2014 at 6. When I was breastfeeding him I ate all kinds of wacky stuff. When he was old enough for solids we used to take him to the indian buffet where he'd eat tiny pieces of tandoori chicken, naan and this indian puffed rice stuff. I have pictures of him eating every kind of melon. When he was a baby he used to salivate watching people eat egg rolls and couldn't wait to get his mouth on one when he was old enough. Then I think the textural issues hit and on our 2014 trip he ate mac and cheese and pasta with butter, with the most challenging thing being mickey raviolis with no sauce... no fruit, no meat (he didn't even really like nuggets although he would eat ONE kind of hot dog - the kind I made at home... and the occasional sliced meats). This year he was much better. I highly second the buffet recommendation, for my son trying new things involves him being in a safe spot where he is not stuck eating something he can't or annoying me because I just spent money on something he won't touch... with no pressure he will try new things knowing he can fall back to old favorites if it doesn't work out.

I agree. For me, the time to argue about new foods and pickiness is at home. I hate making vacation a battleground - come on, that's fun time.

That said, there is a bit of give and take. One trip way back, we were all getting tired and hungry and were in DtD. I was super excited about trying Earl of Sandwich but when we got there, my picky kids did not like the sound of it. My DH is just so-so about sandwiches so all 3 ganged up on me whining to eat elsewhere. I lost it and threw a fit because I had spent all vacation catering to all their needs and they couldn't even have the decency to see how excited I was to eat there. I stormed off telling them to eat wherever they wanted - I was eating at EoS! Soon enough, they returned shamefaced and docile...and discovered they liked it so much they ate all their sandwiches and half of mine!

I agree. For me, the time to argue about new foods and pickiness is at home. I hate making vacation a battleground - come on, that's fun time.

That said, there is a bit of give and take. One trip way back, we were all getting tired and hungry and were in DtD. I was super excited about trying Earl of Sandwich but when we got there, my picky kids did not like the sound of it. My DH is just so-so about sandwiches so all 3 ganged up on me whining to eat elsewhere. I lost it and threw a fit because I had spent all vacation catering to all their needs and they couldn't even have the decency to see how excited I was to eat there. I stormed off telling them to eat wherever they wanted - I was eating at EoS! Soon enough, they returned shamefaced and docile...and discovered they liked it so much they ate all their sandwiches and half of mine!

I agree. I don't force anyone to eat something they do not like, and would never feel a vacation was the time to take a stand. I do think that a vacation is a time for some compromise, and since this is a CS restaurant that some of the party wants to try, I would have my son pick up some nuggets or something before we arrived, and then order a beverage to supplement his meal.

I have a 16 year old that is less picky than he used to be but still leans towards plain things without condiments or sauces. This thread brought back memories of the time he was around 8 years old and we were having dinner at Ohanas. I was telling him he had to try something and he did. Then he gagged and threw up all over his plate. It was so embarrassing for him and us. LOL. I backed off from having him try things on that trip and pretty much moved the battleground to home after that.

My 9 year old is very picky. The first time we went to BOG she got just plain buttered noodles and they were fine with that. I would just ask them what they can do to help.

Since she is so picky I always have snacks on me at Disney so she won't go hungry. There have been days that she only eats breakfast and then snacks the rest of the day. She is a very stubborn, bull headed and will hold her ground when she does not want to do something. For me it is not worth the fight when we are out of the house. There was a period of time when she would only eat fries when we went out to eat.

I understand the struggle as a parent of a picky eater and being a picky eater myself.

the pork is awesome, my 19 year old daughter and I share it, it is very similar to my beef pot roast. It is served in a bowl on top of mashed potatoes with sautéed green beans in the same bowl. Does he have problems with food touching? The reason I ask is my older daughter's best friend is 22 and cannot stand to have food touch. Will he eat potato soup? Theirs is very very good. If nothing appeals to him on the menu I'd pick my battles and order him a cupcake, then let him eat nuggets afterward, or before your reservation.
Yes, he has food touch issues :P...

Which leads me to a wonderful thing I learned at our last meal at CRT. Did you guys know they actually have a "not touching" button on their ordering system?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter