• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any Faux Pas with your Christmas gift tags or cards in your past

NFLDERS

Stay Safe
A niece of ours received two cards yesterday from her parents; one for her 3 daughters, the other for her, and dh. The girls from read: Love, Papa and Grandma. Niece's, and dh's read: Love, John and Jane Smith.

Dn is wondering whom received: Love, Mom and Dad. :santa:

Last edited:
My faux pas, when our boys were young, and while we were at Christmas Eve Mass our home alone terrier removed gift tags, and bows. Then, I was harried after getting the house down for the remainder of the night, and putting out stockings ie redirected a few gifts to the wrong recipient!

Ho! Ho! Ho! :santa:

Last edited:
Talk about timing! I just received a card today from a co-worker that was addressed to someone else - my name was on the envelope, but another co-worker's name was on the inside.

We had one this year. Received a card from my FIL addressed to us and it included a check for the kids. Unfortunately, the check was made out to my DH's sister, LOL. DH called his sister to say he would mail her check to her and she said "Oh, I didn't even notice the name." But since she made no mention of sending the correct one to him, he has a feeling she somehow managed to cash it already (they have the same last name). ;) He decided to send her check back to his dad instead.

Not with gift tags or cards but my stepmother gave my ex a rob zombie t shirt for Christmas one year that a certain 4 letter word on it, rather bold too, but she didn't notice. Same year she got DS a baby's first Christmas ornament at the Hallmark store. It is very cute but has the wrong skin color. She didn't pay attention to the picture on the box.

Sometimes Santa works late into the night wrapping gifts and gets very tired. Rather than cut another piece of wrapping paper, "he" is known to use whatever scraps of paper are leftover to wrap the remaining gift(s) by taping these scraps together. These gifts are a collage of leftover/assorted wrapping paper scraps.

Sometimes Santa works late into the night wrapping gifts and gets very tired. Rather than cut another piece of wrapping paper, "he" is known to use whatever scraps of paper are leftover to wrap the remaining gift(s) by taping these scraps together. These gifts are a collage of leftover/assorted wrapping paper scraps.

I, er, Santa, has done that a few times at my house too. :santa:

Just yesterday on Facebook, I noticed my aunt had replied to one of those posts where people are outraged when greetings other than "Merry Christmas" are expressed. She replied that when she receives a card that says "Seasons Greetings" or "Happy Holidays," it goes straight into the trash. It doesn't have to be a religious card, but it has to say Merry Christmas. I really don't remember what kind of card I put in the mail for her. Oh well, let her throw it out if she's butthurt.

I have this one wacky cousin whose Christmas cards often arrive after the new year. One time I received it in March.

I, er, Santa, has done that a few times at my house too. :santa:

Just yesterday on Facebook, I noticed my aunt had replied to one of those posts where people are outraged when greetings other than "Merry Christmas" are expressed. She replied that when she receives a card that says "Seasons Greetings" or "Happy Holidays," it goes straight into the trash. It doesn't have to be a religious card, but it has to say Merry Christmas. I really don't remember what kind of card I put in the mail for her. Oh well, let her throw it out if she's butthurt.

I have this one wacky cousin whose Christmas cards often arrive after the new year. One time I received it in March.

I have no idea why people get so twisted about the Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas thing. I always bought Happy Holidays because a large percentage of the friends and employees I had are not Christians.

while we were at Christmas Eve Mass our home alone terrier removed gift tags, and bows

I feel your pain. our 2 cats think it's great fun to remove tags and bows from gifts so this year it's strictly sticker tags and the bows will have to wait until the last day or two to be attached.

my late mom used to tell of the Christmas when my brothers were little (long before I was born) and my oldest brother got up before everyone else to see what santa had brought-apparently he wasn't in agreement with who was getting what (santa didn't wrap the gifts he left under the tree at my childhood home) so db changed all the tags so that all the tags with his name went on the toys while all the tags with my other brother's names went on the less desirable clothing items:rotfl:that was the year mom and dad had to explain to the kids that the reason they knew something was off with the name tags was b/c santa always sent an advance inventory list to moms and dads:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I used post it notes as tags... it is supposed to be temporary until I got some tags, but I am thinking I should just leave them that way just because :rotfl2:

I have no idea why people get so twisted about the Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas thing. I always bought Happy Holidays because a large percentage of the friends and employees I had are not Christians.
I'm Christian, but if there are two items I'm looking at, say a decorative house flag and one says "Merry Christmas" and the other says "Happy Holidays" but I like the design of the "Happy Holidays" one better, I will get it. Some people get too butt-hurt over that. (NOT a fan of "Merry X-mas" though. :sad2:)

My grandmother reuses these very fancy gift tags year after year. Several years ago she was handing out the gifts and got to "Craig's". She kept saying CRAIG, CRAIG? That was my sister's ex husband, finally her new husband Scott said errrr I think that's for me. My grandmother (who was elderly and got a little confused) said "but you're not Craig, where has he got off too".

My brother and I couldn't help but laugh hysterically.

About 10 years ago we received a Christmas newsletter brag, including a photo, from some family we never recalled meeting. Neither me, DW, nor stepdaughters knew who they were. I'm not sure how they got our name and address.

50 years ago nobody, even devout Christians, batted an eye over a Happy Holidays card or greeting. I always thought it was meant to include New Year's Day too. I'm not sure when or why the butthurt over it started.

My brother has 2 boys named Kevin and Kris. My husband's sister has 2 boys also named Kevin and Kris. One year in the rush of heading to my brother's for our celebration I grabbed the gifts and didn't realize until Kevin opened his 3rd gift that I had mistakingly brought ALL of the gifts marked Kevin. My brother wanted me to take the gifts back. I couldn't do that to a 5 year old though. After that last names were put on the gifts.

Santa almost used a different handwriting on the tags than was on the letter he sent. After some practice, the tags were able to match the letter. It was noticed!

As for Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays/Seasons Greetings - I agree that it's nothing to get all upset about.

In our house, santa just writes the name on the wrapping paper in black sharpie!
That is happening this year. I am super busy this year plus I am just tired of taking my time to make things look nice and no one caring. So they will be lucky if things even get wrapped. It won't be as nice as normal, but they can deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter