• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any Credible Reports of Contracting Coronavirus After Disney Trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k5xs

DIS Veteran
I'm not trying to stir up anything here. But I'm curious whether anyone has any first- or second-hand reports of people getting sick shortly after visiting WDW?

I don't think there are any stats on this. Your chances of contracting it at WDW are about the same as if you are at a grocery store in your home town. But you might be safer at WDW.

If you are in crowded situations and are not wearing a mask then you are more likely to get it than if in a crowded area and are wearing a mask. Thankfully WDW has mask requirements when indoors so you are likely safe at WDW than you are in a town that doesn't have an indoor mask mandate.

Since there is no contact tracing involved, it's not possible to know how many persons actually became infected with COVID-19 while visiting WDW. You will find lots of anecdotal stories of persons "getting sick" after visiting WDW. That doesn't mean they became infected with COVID-19. If they did become infected with COVID-19, without contact tracing it is not possible to be certain where they got it and from whom, even if it was proximate to a WDW visit. Walt Disney World is a gathering place for thousands of people from all over the world (now that international travel is set to happen in November, it's going to be the world). Is that riskier than staying in your house with just your family, yes. Is it riskier than going to the grocery store, maybe. Riskier than going to a large concert, maybe not.

There are multiple reports in the “just back” thread, though with the caveats above.

I'm not trying to stir up anything here. But I'm curious whether anyone has any first- or second-hand reports of people getting sick shortly after visiting WDW?
Yes, I know someone who says they got it there.

With hundreds of thousands of people visiting Disneyworld since the pandemic, likely more than a million, it's likely thousands of people have contracted it during their visit.

It's a numbers game. This is a virus transmitted by people, so the more people you are around, the more likely it will be passed along. Some people don't even know they have it.

There are safety measures and vaccinations, but the risk hasn't gone away completely.

I know if I visit the parks the chances of contracting it are greater than if I stay home where I interact with just a few people a day.

What is your comfort level for visiting? Are you going to be stressed about it? Maybe you can go later.

Not really a good way to track this other than anecdotal stories and those really are not helpful. If you come down with CoVid after your trip, did you contract it somewhere after arriving home, on the plane, at the airport, in the park, before you even left for the trip and just had minimal symptoms at that point?

Us! Of course this was last November but we definitely came down with it in the middle of our week stay (had no clue, though since we thought we had a cold). We didn't ever have an elevated temperature (they checked temps everywhere at that time) and didn't have any loss of taste/smell. Found out about two weeks later when we took a covid test for travel. Surprise!

Orange County reports 75% of eligible residents have been vaccinated. I realize that doesn't protect you against out of county guests or employees, but it does give me some peace of mind.

I am triple vaccinated (health care worker) as is my husband. We will wear masks as equired and distance as we're able. That's exactly how we live life at home. If you follow precautions as you do normally you should be okay.

The global COVID pandemic created unprecedented restrictions, disruptions and changes to our travel, work, shopping, schooling, social interactions and so many other aspects of our lives since the beginning of 2020. We’ve all been affected, and we have been inundated with news, information, mis-information, frustrations and opinions. We’ve heard them, we’ve shared them, we’ve argued about them.

The discussions, debates and arguments about the virus, distancing and masking policies, various politicians’ statements and actions have been overwhelming and divisive. Many threads on the DISboards have been derailed or devolved into arguments due to this topic. We understand the passion, but feel that we’ve let the discussions run their course. We are sure there are better places on the WWW to learn about and debate scientific, medical and political issues. The mission of the DISboards is to be a great travel resource and a friendly community.

Now that travel is opening up again, it’s time to refocus on that mission!

From this point on, we will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO TRAVEL. Things like the vaccination policies issued by venues or destinations, the cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for travelers or things they might need to know that are different from location to location are all valid topics. Any official policies issued by Disney, other travel destinations, cruise lines, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for visiting parks or cruising can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: No statistics about infection rates, no ranting about individual rights, no “face-diaper” comments, no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

In summary: COVID related discussion should be limited to actual policy and practical application, and NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the DISboards to do that.

Thank you,
DISboards Administrators

There are no actual stats kept re: Disney and contracting Covid. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter