• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any chance we get a Magic Band redesign?

Can you cut the magic band near the electronics section, leaving a few 'holes' in the band on either side.
Then attach the holes of the MB to a lanyard ?

Or turn the MB into the child size and hang it on a lanyard ?

Would that be a better way to wear/use the MB?
Yes, you can do that. There's no requirement for the MB to actually be on a wrist for it to work.

I wear bracelets often so didn't really mind wearing the band at all. Actually, no complaints from anyone in the family.

But what I did have an issue with was sometimes where the readers were placed was an awkward angle. Whether I had the Mickey part of the band on top of my wrist or underneath, there were certain readers that were just in the wrong spot! I don't like twirling the band around my wrist--I have it snug enough so it won't do that. So my only option was to take the thing off to make sure it lined up correctly and then put it back on. Or you ended up holding your arm/wrist at some weird angle to make sure it lined up.

Maybe it was just me doing something wrong but that seemed to be an issue for us a number of times.

So wearing the MB around your neck - would that be a problem with the ticket readers entering a park or using a FP+ ?

I don't see a widespread appeal for the apple watch...

The smartphone rendered the watch essentially obselete...now they're gonna resurrect it?

I dunno...the luster has rubber off the apple as of late. They are just making mad money selling product in china and India...
Not your core park clientele

I'm going to take the opposite opinion and say that we WILL see redesigns within a year or two.

The investment is likely in the infrastructure that supports the technology. The bands themselves would be very inexpensive and its doubtful that they would keep a needlessly large amount of them in storage -- that cuts into the cost of bulk orders anyway. Production is almost assuredly outsourced and the cost of a retool for a new design would be negligible since it would be competitively bid.

Reasons why they will be updated:
- Disney wants (needs) for this to be a successful program. If they receive many complaints, you can be sure they will look for ways to accommodate their guests. They are not going to allow a mega-expensive program like this to be derailed just because a portion of the public feels the bands are uncomfortable.
- Disney would profit from a new generation of magic band -- specifically one that was not backwards compatible with the doodads they sell to accessorize them. New band styles = more primary sale = more accessory sales. Disney likes a profit, and this is easy money.

I am not so sure the Apple Watch would be able to be used as a magicband. The magicband has a long range transmitter/receiver which I am not sure the Apple Watch has.

I am not so sure the Apple Watch would be able to be used as a magicband. The magicband has a long range transmitter/receiver which I am not sure the Apple Watch has.
Apple pay is and NFC/RFID system that is the same thing magic bands use. Apple just hasn't released the NFC for developers to use yet.

I got back from Disney World recently and had my first experience with the Magic Bands. I was overly impressed with how the entire system worked, and found it to be a simple experience that required little effort on my part. However, I can't say the same for the bands themselves. I know others may disagree, but I found them to be incredibly uncomfortable. A human wrist is oval, but because the top of the band (where the electronics are) is long and has zero give, it creates something that doesn't fit naturally. I found the band fitting overly snug on the top and bottom of my wrist, and very loose on the sides. I kept fiddling with it all day, and found myself happy when I could take it off for the day.

Seeing as the band is a technology product, I don't think it's unfair to say this could be considered a first generation product that could be updated in the future. I was simply wondering if anyone had heard any rumors, or could speculate on the chances we'd see a redesigned Magic Band within the next few years. Ideally, the electronics section could be smaller, that way the band can bend into a more natural oval shape. Any thoughts?

I haven't heard anything yet but I think it's a very good to give it more of a bend design

Apple pay is and NFC/RFID system that is the same thing magic bands use. Apple just hasn't released the NFC for developers to use yet.

Magicband has 2 transmitters. The NFC/RFID chip and a long range transmitter. The NFC chip is used for payments, opening your hotel room, park entry, etc. This can theoretically be handled by the Apple Watch or any other NFC enabled device.

The long range transmitter is for guest tracking. This is the unknown part of the Apple Watch. It is probably just using Bluetooth for this, which the watch would have, but that is something else that Apple would need to open up. It would be a big thing for Disney to lose this data as it seems to me that this was one of the main motivators for implementing magicbands, so this is the key part IMO.

Last edited:
Magicband has 2 transmitters. The NFC/RFID chip and a long range transmitter. The NFC chip is used for payments, opening your hotel room, park entry, etc. This can theoretically be handled by the Apple Watch or any other NFC enabled device.

The long range transmitter is for guest tracking. This is the unknown part of the Apple Watch. It is probably just using Bluetooth for this, which the watch would have, but that is something else that Apple would need to open up. It would be a big thing for Disney to lose this data as it seems to me that this was one of the main motivators for implementing magicbands, so this is the key part IMO.
I would assume that the watch does have that long range ability, but if it didn't the amount of people that had the watch on any given day would probably be much less than those who have bands. Apple and Disney have a good partnership and I'm sure they could work something out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter