Any Advice for taking a child with autism/sensory processing disorder

mommy2allgirls

DIS Veteran
We will be going to WDW in March and my dd, 2 1/2, has been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder but her diagnosis will mostly likely change b/c her therapists and my dh and I believe she has some form of autism, possibly high functioning-we just know that there is something more it is in our gut. Anyways, any tips or advice for taking her and how to help her enjoy her time? She is obsessed with mickey mouse

We will be going to WDW in March and my dd, 2 1/2, has been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder but her diagnosis will mostly likely change b/c her therapists and my dh and I believe she has some form of autism, possibly high functioning-we just know that there is something more it is in our gut. Anyways, any tips or advice for taking her and how to help her enjoy her time? She is obsessed with mickey mouse

Hi,

Go to the allearsnet site, and at the top of the page, click on planning, on the left you will see... For Travelers with Special Challenges and a section on Autistic Spectrum Disorders.

This site explains the special allowances Disney makes for your child, such as shorter wait times in lines, (you'll need a Doctor's note) and offers tips and advice.

My son also has sensory processing disorder and was recently diagnosed with autism. When we went to WDW in Sept.06 (he was 4) we made sure that we always sat on an aisle seat, closest to the exit, for any show, just in case he got too overstimulated. Just go with the flow; stop and smell the roses--enjoy what your child is happy to do and don't get caught up in what you're not able to do. Our little guy was terrified of characters, so we took pictures with statues, cutouts, in front of the castle, etc. You know your child, do what makes them happy and you'll be fine!

Hi,
This site explains the special allowances Disney makes for your child, such as shorter wait times in lines, (you'll need a Doctor's note) and offers tips and advice.
That is not correct.
There is a card called a Guest Assistance Card, which may be useful for your child. Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread on the disABILITIES Board and you will find a section about Guest Assistance Cards and links to some past threads about autism. There are also some current discussions going on about autism in the first 3 pages of the board.

That is not correct.
There is a card called a Guest Assistance Card, which may be useful for your child. Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread on the disABILITIES Board and you will find a section about Guest Assistance Cards and links to some past threads about autism. There are also some current discussions going on about autism in the first 3 pages of the board.

I'm sorry...

I thought you needed a Doctors note to get the Guest Assistance Card.?.?. The following is taken from the allears site -

http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/dis_aut.htm

"Make sure you speak to your child's psychologist and get a note stating that your child is autistic (or has PDD or whatever). This will allow you to get a pass that will greatly shorten your wait time for rides, and will also allow your child (in most cases) to avoid unwanted personal contact in the lines."

Our son was born with a very rare condition, but it doesn't affect touring Disney, but I went to this site for info, when helping friends plan their trip with their autistic daughter. I hope I didn't provide incorrect info.

I'm sorry...

I thought you needed a Doctors note to get the Guest Assistance Card.?.?. The following is taken from the allears site -

http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/dis_aut.htm

"Make sure you speak to your child's psychologist and get a note stating that your child is autistic (or has PDD or whatever). This will allow you to get a pass that will greatly shorten your wait time for rides, and will also allow your child (in most cases) to avoid unwanted personal contact in the lines."

Our son was born with a very rare condition, but it doesn't affect touring Disney, but I went to this site for info, when helping friends plan their trip with their autistic daughter. I hope I didn't provide incorrect info.
You provided what you thought was correct information, so don't worry about it.
The information on allearsnet is not correct. You don't need a doctor's note and the Guest Assistance Card is not meant to greatly shorten the wait in line. It is printed right on the card that it is not meant to shorten or eliminate waits in line.
WDW changed the name from Guest Assistance Pass to Guest Assistance Card in about 1999 because people interpreted the word 'pass' as meaning they would not have to wait.
The Guest Assistance Card will provide help for the needs of people with disabilities. Exactly what help it will provide depends on the needs the person has.
There are some good hints on the allears site about what people have done for family members with autism, but I have found sometimes things are out of date (like trip reports from 1999).
Minniemouse07 said:
Deb Wills has a great book out called Open Mouse for WDW and DCL, Easy Access Vacations for Travelers with Extra Challenges.

I've heard only good things about it!
i was one of the peer reviewers for the first printing of the book in 2006. It is a very good resource.
I would warn though that it is a large book and can be quite overwhelming to look at. I'd suggest going thru it and maybe adding bookmarks to places you want to look at later. Then go thru a second time and highlight the information you want to remember/access.

Thank you all for your help! I will def. check out the disabitlity site. Can you get a guest assistant card for multiple things? I only mean one card but can they put multiple things on it. Last time we went my dd needed one b/c she has albinism and can't be in the sun so this time would they be able to add the autism thing and the sun thing

My little one took his first trip to WDW when he was 19 months. This was before his Sensory Integration Disorder diagnosis. He was still a baby... but we knew something was up. He stayed snuggled in his stroller most of the trip. We brought our own comfy stroller from home that had a mosquito net attached to the shade.... he felt "safe".

We used this same stroller the following year when he was 2 1/2. At this point we saw significant sensory issues..... and doctors and therapists started talking to us about autism. The stroller was his haven again. It was the place he felt safe when things seems especially overwhelming.

I found myself covering his ears a lot because he wouldn't wear the earplugs I brought for him. (My older son has cerebral palsy and a bad startle reflex... I also used the earplugs on him to make him feel "safe") I wish I had brought some sound reducing earmuffs for my little one..... but even then I'm not sure if he would wear them.

My son had a very limited diet at the time. He lived off of Strawberry Nutragrain Cereal bars. I bought BOXES from home because I was afraid I wouldn't find them in Orlando. My son wouldn't eat them if they were smashed or broken.... so I had to take great care in protecting them. (not easy to do) :)

I hope that helped a little. I know some people suggest small breaks during the day.... go back to the hotel to rest. That didn't help us because my son was most overwhelmed in the hotel room. He didn't understand why his stuff was in a room that was not his. Does that make sense?? It was easier to keep him out and busy all day and take an exhausted kid back to the hotel where he would snuggle up and fall asleep in a pack and play. (I covered the top of it with a blanket.... that helped him stay asleep.

I brought my autistic son for the 1st time in 2005 - he was 9yrs old. He also suffers from sensosry issues and is high functioning.
We started preparing him by taking him to smaller amusement parks closer to home (Storyland, Santa's Village - Chuck E Cheese). He did have a hard time understanding that he was staying in a hotel room - but he had his lovey with him that helped (and his own pillow).
Doing a "story board/book" helps prepare for unfamiliar places also. The multitude of websites off pictures of just about every aspect of the trip to help prepare for what you will be doing and seeing. U-Tube can also offer video clips of rides & such.
My son's sensory therapist suggested bringing weighted bean bags to lay on his lap to help with sensory imput or mouth chewies. And we did need some quiet time. We stayed at Fort Wilderness camp ground in a cabin. Those rooms can get nice and dark/quiet when the curtans are shut - it was very helpful.

My son now is an expert on all things disney and is planning trips to Disneyland Paris (yeah right!). He can negotiate Google Earth to view the parks all over the world.

By using the FastPass system we never had to use the Assist Card. Another great tip is when calling for your ADR's make sure they note any food preferences. Mine lives off of waffles & grilled cheese. Our last trip (August 2007) all the restuarants were well aware of his diet restrictions. The chefs each came out to meet him and often cooked more than (1) sandwhich for him. Disney really out does themselves for children with special requirements.

If characters are an issue - let the "handlers" know. My daughter also has disabilities and when some of the children were getting a little rough jostling to see a character, the handler came in and asked the other children to step back for a moment so she could see the cahracter without being knocked down.

If you have any more questions, please let me know or PM me - I would be happy to give any suggestions. I was very concerned my 1st trip because of bringing two children with special needs - I have NO HESITATIONS at all any more. Plan ahead, be familar and listien to your children.

Thank you all for your help! I will def. check out the disabitlity site. Can you get a guest assistant card for multiple things? I only mean one card but can they put multiple things on it. Last time we went my dd needed one b/c she has albinism and can't be in the sun so this time would they be able to add the autism thing and the sun thing
They add different stamps to cover different things.
You explain the needs and the CM will add things that are appropriate for the needs.
Another poster suggested using Fastpass; that is something very helpful to remember and also services like Tour Guide Mike. We have not used him because he started after we had been going to the parks for more than 10 yrs. If you have a GAC, that only helps you cope with the lines; it doesn't do anything to help with the general busy nature of the park. That's where Tour Guide Mike and similar things can help; they let you know when to be where it's not going to be busy.

All of the suggestions are great!!! We did most of the things suggested, especially a smaller park first to try it out. My son started out as sensory integration, developmentally delayed, PDD-NOS and we now are at Autism, high functioning.

GET AN ID FOR YOUR DAUGHTER'S SHOES with all your info on it including her disability.

Have her wear, keep in her pocket a small FLASHLIGHT for all of those darker than usual rides.

Be careful with the 3D movies, even if they are modified for the little ones-they scare the pants off my son to this day (6 yrs old).

Definately rest in the afternoon, break. We went to our pool, my son did not want to get into the pool like we were but instead, in his lifejacket, opened and closed the laundry room door and organized shoes around the quiet pool-hey what ever floats your boat is my motto.

My son has Anxiety State also, so just before anything new happens some odd behavior comes around, but at that time we did not realize it. He started a neck twitch, that magically disappeared as we enjoyed our disney magic!!

Your trip can be just as magical, plan ahead, be prepared to change the little things and enjoy. It will be fine.
Brettgirl

My DS10 has many symptoms of CAPD, although his doc insists it is related to his ADHD. He still has issues with loud noises (even though he is usually the loudest thing in the room). When he was younger, we started him wearing protective head phones. We go to a lot of races and the head phones are like magic... He still wears them and he's invincible with them on, even in the shop with our racecar running.
He has gotten much better as he's gotten older. Some of it is conditioning but he still prefers the head phones as a comfort thing.

j

I have taken my DS (8) to WDW three times now, (4), (7), (8) and the thing that I would say is that every single child with spectrum disorders has their own "issues". Overall, Disney does a great job of working within what you need. We use a GAC every time we go, and it helps, as my son couldn't possibly wait as long as we might otherwise. I like the idea of a little flashlight in your pocket. We have also used the noise-cancelling headphones for the louder attractions, but the thing he has the most trouble with is the 3-D stuff- that freaks him out every time. We usually have to leave before those are over, so we always sit at the end of a row. I would never trade one of our trips for anything, though. Even with all the difficulties, there are those magic moments that make it all worth it. Through their often simpler eyes- it's often more fun!

We are leaving for our first whole family land/sea WDW-Cruise 6 months from today! Even though my son is VERY high-functioning PDD/ADHD/OCD I've had some "trepidation" about such a grand adventure. We've been putting "letters" and "notes" from Mickey and friends in our mailbox for him every week and showing Eli pictures of the boat, but this discussion helped immensely!! I'm almost in tears at the relief I feel at knowing that there are others out there who offer their open-hearted assistance. I had never heard of the card and all friends with kids who have taken the cruise have typical children. Thank you just isn't enough...

Definately go to the Disabilities board too. There are lots of great ideas and tips there. Many people over there have given us great tips and ideas. Our DS (5) has Asperger's Syndrome/Autism. He just came back from his 5th trip to WDW. He absolutely loves it - it's one of his perseverance things.

We tend to take things at his pace. Sometimes we each take a child for 1/2 a day in the park so each can enjoy at their own pace what they really want to see and let them control their needs. We generally then pick another day and switch kids so we can get alone time with both of them. We usually end up meeting for lunch or dinner somewhere.

Know your kids triggers. Loud noises - noise cancelling headphones help; fire - (my son's) Fantasmic has fire on the lake we have not done this yet but hopefully are going to attempt it after watching it on tape several times to let him understand it; the dark- know which rides are "dark" rides; etc....

You will have a great time. I highly suggest the GAC card. We got it last time but did not use it as no wait time was over 10 minutes. My DS can handle short wait times but after 15 minutes we know we are headed for a HUGE meltdown (only happened once on our entire trip!).

Good luck. If there is anything else you would like to know I would be glad to share our many experiences with you! :)

My son has SID (8) and we have a 5yr with atisim. The best advice I can give is to learn some of the rides and how they work. We went when my son with SID was 5 and his dad wanted to go on haunted masion. We were alright until that thing went backwards and he flipped. So that's the best advice I can give is avoid HM and learn what other shows ect. You might want to avoid. Also all cast members were great when we needed to sit in the isle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter