ANY advice for newbie? 5 yr old twins, & 3 yr old

heather4Disney

BEGINNER 2 DISNEY (Family with 3 small kids)
We will be going to Disney Jan. 15th 2013. Staying in a rental house about 4 miles from MK. My kids are twins 5 yrs. old and a 3 yr old (who acts older)

Tuesday 15th we will go to MK

10:10 CRT reservations.

On the 25th January we will go to Hollywood Studios

reservations at Hollywood Vine for 8:55

I've gone through a ton of websites and blogs and the unofficial guide book. I think I have a good idea what to pack to take into the parks. I'm bringing our own double umbrella stroller.

* I'm unsure of the traffic to get to the Parks, park the car and get into MK.
* I'm unsure how to ensure we make it on time for our 8:55 reservations at Hollywood studios.
* Should we get a park hopper to leave Hollywood studios and enjoy MK fire works after a nap ?
* my kids dont' usually nap and have a ton of energy. I think we can get back to the house to nap but I worry with our CRT at 10:10 will we be able to nap and still see the parade at 3 pm ?
* Since we are doing two character dinners I figure we will have less hassle meeting the characters so only Mickey is left. I would like to see the parade and the fireworks. If I can make it to the character dinners on time, see BIG EARS himself, the parade & fireworks .... anything else is just icing on the cake.
* what about napping after the parade, could we make it back for the fireworks & what time are they at ?
* cost for those storage at the entrance ?
* is it best to take the train first thing to Fantasyland since we have a grandparent with us ? keeping in mind our 10:10 CRT reservations.
* last question.... do I need a touring plan (to buy one) we are travelling with my mom (grandma) who is energetic for 70 but the kids will drain us before the walking ever will. I don't have a smart phone which I know touring plans has a phone app.

Would love any suggestions you have for me.

Heather

I find that having park hoppers for my family (6yo triplets and baby) would be a waste. We stick to one park per day and have more then plenty to do there.

I would always plan at least 45 minutes to get to MK. By the time you park, walk to the TTC, take the monorail to MK and open bags at security, I don't think 45 minutes is too much.

A locker is $5 I think. I;m pretty sure that's what we paid in August but I could be wrong.

You can get a fast pass to meet Mickey and Minnie at Magic Kingdon. they meet in the building at your right when you enter MK. that being said, if you go first thing in the morning, there's little wait usually. This August we waited 10 minutes to see the princesses and 5 minutes to see Mickey. We went first thing at 9am.

Can't answer about the napping. We usually return to the hotel around lunch and stay there until dinner. Then we go have our meal and then head back to the park. We usually are able to catch the evening light parade and then the fireworks. We'vr only seen once the afternoon parade. We just happend to see it because we had a later lunch and on our way out we happend to see it. I don't believe you will be able ot go back for nap after CRT and be back on time for 3pm. Your CRT will last at least 1 hour, they often run a bit late with ADR. By the time you walk out of the park, take the monorail, walk to the car drive home and come back later, you will spend most of the time going to and from the car IMO but I could be wrong.

hope this helps

I also doubt you will make a nap & the 3pm parade. I would either nap & do the night time light up parade (which I personally prefer anyway) or skip the nap & see tha parade & go until you drop.

MK takes a long time to enter, I think the 45 minutes is dead on. Studios will be a short entry time, though I would probably leave 20-30 minutes to park, walk/tram to entrance, bag check, entry line & walk to restaurant.

We always get park hoppers, but we do have short attention spans & leave for another park if we find a park too crowded for our tastes. We do not leave to nap, we live out of the car once we leave the hotel in the morning. We don't return until the day is done for us.

I didn't realise that we will need to park the car and then take the monorail. Last time we stayed on Disney and this time we are not. I just assumed there was a parking lot before the entrance.

From the two dates you mentioned, it looks like you will be in Flordia at least 10 days. What type of tickets do you have? Are you going to be visiting other parks as well? Does your condo advertise it as being 4 miles from the MK or from WDW? Sometimes places can be misleading with their proximity to WDW. It may take you longer than you anticipate to get to the parks. Mid January is a WONDERFUL time to visit. Lower crowds make it so much easier to see a lot. As for naps at your condo, I think that depends on how many days you will have in the parks, and how long it REALLY takes you to get back to your condo. Hours in January are much shorter. If your 3 year old will nap in the stroller, you might choose to skip naps unless you are in the parks all 10 days and want to have a more laid back trip.

We are 22 minutes or 19 km from the parking lot (used the Contemporary hotel address). We will be purchasing tickets from Shades of Green (military so no taxes ) We are doing Mk on Jan. 15th and I also booked a character dinner at Disney Hollywood Studios on Jan. 25th. I have never been to Hollywood studios and my kids have seen more T.V. shows than Disney movies so they are more familiar with them.

We will likely will only do 2 Disney days and possibly Seaworld and Bush gardens with some days off to lounge by the pool. (heated of course)

I don't know if I need mosquito spray in January. Should I bring all my own sunscreen, shampoos, soap or just buy it when I'm there ? I'm trying to pack my Disney Park's backpack now since we arrive late on the 13th and will only have a day to buy food for the house and things we need to take into Magic Kingdom....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter