Any A/C knowledgeable people???

Ahhh!!! I know your frustration! I just had to replace my central AC unit, just last month. Just FYI....I had 5 or 6 companies give me quotes and they were so, very different. They ranged from $21,000 to $9,000. So,If you have to replace it, get lots of quotes and ask lots of questions. Most of these companies offer low interest financing and a new unit will cut your utility bill .....I'll let ya'll know how my next electric bill is compared to what it usually is in the summer.

Last edited:
The tenant has a contract with the landlord. The landlord has a contract with the warranty company. It's not the tenant's problem if the warranty company drags their feet. The landlord can fix it in a timely manner, but he'll have to pay for it. I don't believe that would be a covered exception. But it will all depend on state and local laws.

Really no different that having to wait for a part. The courts are very particular about what is reasonable. Is it reasonable to expect a landlord to replace an a/c unit because it's going to take a couple of weeks to get a part? Probably not. I would say the landlord here went beyond what was required by having the service plan. In browsing several renters rights websites, I keep seeing this phrasing which may give some insight into the law.
"A lease agreement does not create an insurance policy against any and all discomfort experienced by a tenant while the landlord is making a reasonable effort to fix a problem. "

I asked for a second opinion and the second company came out today and stated the unit needed to be replaced. They also told me the unit is big enough as it is a 3 ton unit and not a 2 ton as the repair guy stated yeaterday. Waiting for the call in the morning from AHS (if they don't call by 9:00, I am calling them) since the hvac guy finished his report after 5:00. Fingers crossed this gets reaolved quickly

Really no different that having to wait for a part. The courts are very particular about what is reasonable. Is it reasonable to expect a landlord to replace an a/c unit because it's going to take a couple of weeks to get a part? Probably not. I would say the landlord here went beyond what was required by having the service plan. In browsing several renters rights websites, I keep seeing this phrasing which may give some insight into the law.
"A lease agreement does not create an insurance policy against any and all discomfort experienced by a tenant while the landlord is making a reasonable effort to fix a problem. "
Reasonable is going to depend on the state and local laws. The city of Dallas tells tenants not to wait a full 24 hours to report the issue if a landlord hasn't fixed the a/c.

This is one of the ways AHS screws people. They might cover the repair or replacement, but it will take so long, you have to make alternate arrangements.

Angies list for reviews or second opinions. I found someone on there who saved my system

Reactions: HM
Reasonable is going to depend on the state and local laws. The city of Dallas tells tenants not to wait a full 24 hours to report the issue if a landlord hasn't fixed the a/c.

This is one of the ways AHS screws people. They might cover the repair or replacement, but it will take so long, you have to make alternate arrangements.
Yes, it does appear that in Dallas does require cooling, funny thing is though, the law says anything under that brings the unit to 85 degrees or less is sufficient. And that 24 hours notification has to be by mail!
I still think in this situation, the landlord has made a reasonable effort. He paid for a policy to fix broken things, it isn't within his control that the company he paid is refusing to fix it.
Another issue, just getting someone out to look at the a/c My wife's step mom lives outside Houston, and she had to wait 11 days for a service person due to heavy demand, and then another week for a part to come in beyond that..

Rule of thumb is 500sf per ton. We have a 3ton for the first floor and a 3 ton on the second floor. House is about 3100 sf under air.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter