Any 2 year olds afraid of Dumbo?

Gillian

DIS Veteran
I'm a little worried that my 2 year old will not like Dumbo! Is this realistic?

When my dd was 2 1/2 she was terrified!!!! Don't be surprised if yours feels the same.

By 4 she LOVED it!!!!!

I've got a very scared 2 year old who doesn't like darkness and loudness but she LOVED it!!! Of course, our older DD who was also 2 the first time she rode it, always loved it too.

We didn't have a problem with it at all. Now, the Pooh ride and other dark rides she did cry a little. The same with dark shows like "Little Mermaid" those are the ones I have to worry about.

Think positive and it will probably work out fine!

My husband rode with her and just kept saying "Wee!" and she went along with it!

Good luck!

Well, I have taken him on the little roller coaster at our local six flags. The first time he cried. The second time (different day) I tried the "wee" thing & it did seem to work. I let him watch it for a while before we rode, making sure he wanted to go on, even though he didn't like it the time before. He fussed when I put him in, but was fine by the time it was over. I wouldn't say he loved it though!

We took him on the Hershey world factory tour, which is a dark ride. He sat on my lap (no bar or belts) and was very happy after about 10 seconds. I think he'll love pooh as much as I do :)

Anything else to think about with a little one?

We've taken our little ones on most all the MK rides (No thrill ones of course) with the exception of the snow white ride. I can't remember it well myself but others here and lots of guide books say it's very scary!

I think Dumbo can be scary in a different way than some of the ride through dark rides. You are little, and way up high in the air, and have no control over the situation. It has to be a matter of knowing your child. DS did not have the chance to do WDW as a toddler but as a preschool teacher, I like to watch little ones on rides and have noted that vey few kids seems to be afraid of Dumbo.At MK we have seen kids scared at Tiki room (a storm), the pirate ride, and the haunted mansion( this was mostly preschool age kids afraid). We have also seen toddlers scared in all three of the 3-D movies, The little Mermaid show at MGM, the backlot tour, and spaceship earth. Shows are easy to escape but rides can be a problem. This poor toddler was scared to death when spaceship earth went backward and cried the whole time. Again you have to know your child. There is so much that toddlers will love.

Jordan's mom

You know, I spend almost every day with my child, but I'm still not sure how he'll react on the rides! We took him to a loony toons show at six flags & he was on his feet, dancing the whole time, but then he was afraid of the characters when they came down at the end. still, he went pretty close to them. And then Sylvester reached out & hugged him & he was thrilled!

We took him to see Men in Black II. I know, I know, not a good idea, but it was a family trip & everyone except me thought it would work. And he loved it! Sat still for the whole thing, chewing his licorice. I hope he is that good for Little Mermaid :)

He loves cars. Do you think he'll like test track? just kidding!

My son would not ride Dumbo at 4 or 5. He rode Splash Mountain but not Dumbo. He is 14 now and has never been on Dumbo. He didn't like the way it went up and down.

My DS wanted no part of the Dumbo ride at 3 3/4. Wouldn't go near it and we didn't force him. When we returned when he was 6 he rode it and thought it was dumb. Shows what a couple of years can do to change his opinion!

You just never know with 2 year olds. My son is afraid of a lot of silly rides. Dumbo is probably unlikely to be one, but you just never know!

It depends on your child, my 3 yr old sister was okay with it, but we couldn't go up high or she would get scraed. If I remember right, you can control how high you can go up, and as long as you keep it down towards the ground, she should be okay. Also, remember to keep pointing out family members watching and wave at them, or point out the castle, to keep their minds off getting scared. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter