• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anxiety at Disney is not magical!

PugsNotDrugs

Life's full of tough choices, innit?
I've been to all the parks countless times (FL native) and I feel like I know them inside out which has helped me manage my anxiety through-out the years.. but last year I was at a Mickey Christmas party and I got separated from my family! It was one of my worst fears being realized. For years we've had a designated spot in the park to meet up which is where i stayed but it took them like 30 minutes to get to me. I almost went into pure panic mode. Yes, I'm an adult but it seriously freaked me out & kinda scarred me. Now we're going back to the Christmas party this year and I'm scared about it! If I could rope myself to my mom I would :worried: Do any of you have tips for dealing with anxiety in general at Disney?

I had to come and comment because I love your screen name! :hug:

I've never had to deal with anxiety but when I read your post the first thing I thought of was "I wonder if they use cells to keep in contact?" If you get separated from your mom, send her a text and as long as she knows to keep her phone handy if you guys split up, she should be able to text you back quickly.

Last edited:
I deal with my anxiety two ways. 1. I take my Meds on vacation (klonipin) 2. I control EVERYTHING. I set the fast-passes the dining and the pace. I push the stroller holding the youngest hostage and everyone else follows me. Depending on your group this may be no help but that's how i roll:)

I agree with the use of cell phones. My sister has high anxiety. In the past, if she got separated for a bit, she might yell. Now, she pulls out her cell phone and calls. She might be in a panic, but she calms down quickly just hearing someone she knows.

If I am in a busy place with my mom, grandma, or sister, and it is important I do not lose them, I usually hold their hand or link arms. My mom and grandma tend to forget to take their cell phones every time we go out so if we get separated unexpectedly, it can be difficult to find them. Heck, even when we separate on purpose in the same store, it can be difficult to find them.

I make good use of my meds and I no longer go at high season. I've had to be evacuated from my home park twice for panic attacks and that's the end of special events and holidays for me. Panic attacks on Main Street are unseemly. It's awkward and I'm pretty sure people looked at me funny.

Thank you for your tips. I agree about the phone thing! I think that was our main issue last time.. my phone died but I have a back up plan now. I'll be carrying one of those recharge battery cells in my backpack! I don't realize how quickly the battery gets sucked down after a few dozen pictures

to save battery power turn off your WIFI roaming..
Manage Your Settings
  1. Dim Your Screen. Screen brightness can be a major drain on battery life. ...
  2. Turn Off Animations (iOS) ...
  3. Turn Off Location Services (GPS) ...
  4. Manually Update Apps. ...
  5. Disable Background Data. ...
  6. Kill Push Notifications. ...
  7. Turn Off AirDrop (iOS) ...
  8. Turn Off Vibration.

Another thing you could do is have a backup-backup plan. OK, so what's the worst thing that is going to happen if you don't get back together at the parks? You enjoy your away time. Have a planned time to leave, realize that it may take time to get through the crowds, and you meet back up either at the hotel, the car, the bus stop, etc. - whatever you decide. That always helps me with my anxiety.

Having a backup charger for your phone is a great idea too - but don't forget to keep that charged up! It takes time to rrecharge the phone, so make sure you start before the phone is completely dead.

Bring a note with relaxing techniques, reminders etc - ask your therapist for some new ideas. If you don't have a therapist, get one!

Thank you for your tips. I agree about the phone thing! I think that was our main issue last time.. my phone died but I have a back up plan now. I'll be carrying one of those recharge battery cells in my backpack! I don't realize how quickly the battery gets sucked down after a few dozen pictures

I could have written your post, but I am an older lady. The husband and daughter left a store by the front exit, I waited at the rear while they checked for a tshirt. They left me there, i waited at the exact spot they left me. I sat there with a dead phone for over an hour and half. I didn't know if they left the park, thought I left the park, but I never thought threw my tear to have asked someone to call them.

I have a power bank now too. I take a Xanax with me, and I told them I swear if they don't see me longer then 15 minutes and don't go back to the last spot they talked to me, they will be flying home on the front of my foot. I was in a serious melt down from my anxiety, I missed two hours of park time, had no energy to do anything but sit waiting for the Xanax my dh had to kick in.

I wish you a better time and hope the power bank works , is kept charged, and no seperations occur.

it is disney there is something in the air that makes phone de=ie and die fast but glade you have a plan for if you do get separated again ( in disney it is so easy)

Also if you all or at lest 2 of you have iPhone you can get the find my fried app it will show you where your friend are on a map and it works pretty good at disney ( when you get close you will have to look for them) not sure if other phones have this app or if there is one that goes between like apple and android

Last edited:
I've been dealing with pretty bad general anxiety/panic disorder/ptsd for about 15 years now. I would never pretend to know what will and wont work for everyone but here are a few things that help me (both in general and on vacations)
  1. Realize that this is your vacation and it is not bound by the same "rules" you may have for how you manage your anxiety.
    • In particular, talk to your dr. about your meds. In general I have a certain level of medication that balances my anxiety needs and my desire to not be too medicated. While on vacation, it can be useful to consider adjusting that a bit.
  2. If you don't normally have a fast acting anxiolytic handy, consider talking with your dr. about having one prescribed. An anxiety attack is horribly painful on its own and the longer it goes on the more it will affect your general state of anxiety, to the point where it can ruin a whole day or days at a time. Nothing shuts a panic attack down like a benzodiazepine.
  3. I self medicate with hard liquor. An over-proof white rum in a dasani bottle makes a day at WDW go by so much easier. The key is that you must practice this as a skill for weeks leading up to your trip. You need to know how much to drink and how often and exactly how your other meds and even food will affect you in combination with the liquor. The idea is to dial in a low-grade buzz and hold it all day. This takes practice and is certainly not for everyone.
  4. As others have mentioned, keeping a cell phone will let you contact your family if you get separated.
    • They do tend to drain fast in the parks because the signal shifts from tower to tower and there are a ton of wifi signals and all of that gets the phone's attention.
    • Battery banks can help, but be sure to get the right size and charge it fully.
    • The capacity of your phone battery is measured in milliamp hours and is abreviated mAh. For comparison, an iPhone 6 has an 1800 mAh battery. You want your powerbank to have as much or more battery as the phone.
  5. An alternative to relying on a cell phone is to get a set of FRS radios. These look like miniature walkie talkies and work the same way. They have an effective range of about a half-mile. But they work without the need for cellular service and use very little battery.
  6. As much as anything, what is most helpful for me is to practice being around strange people and crowds in a controllable environment a few months before the trip. It's easier to just ignore it right up to the day and then deal with it all at once but going through with the effort to acclimate yourself beforehand will pay dividends in the park.
More than anything, remember that anything you need to feel safe is a human right. Do not deny yourself in an effort to "not be a burden" or draw attention to yourself. Don't let others shame you out of a rest or the medical attention you feel would help you. Be prepared to smack a bishop if that's what it takes.

Good luck.

I like the radio idea because while my phone my not die, that doesn't mean that those in my crew have been monitoring theirs. I have only been doing the anxiety dance for the last year but I find it best to stay put and wait for others to find me. If we get separated I just remain focused on keeping my breathing even and know that they are on their way to get me. Because let's be honest, your family loves you and they will hunt for you anywhere. :)

I don't have anxiety in Disney-like environments but I do have anxiety issues. Heights, elevators and weird, random fears of illnesses, and I've been known to suffer from panic attacks. In addition to traditional treatments such as medication and therapy, I've also found meditation helps. When I feel panicky I now know how to return to my breath and it calms my mind. I had an MRI yesterday which usually would have flipped me out and instead I meditated the whole time. After the first few minutes I stopped feeling scared and actually found it relaxing.

The problem with cell phones is that you often can't hear them at Disney. Even on vibrate, they can go unnoticed.

I've always had issues with anxiety and, like an earlier poster, I planned everything and took control to help ease my mind. Even now that our kids are grown, I tend to do all the planning.

I haven't been to WDW in a bit over 3 years due to an incident that left me with PTSD in addition to my anxiety. Time is healing, and I hope to be ready to return by early next year.

My advice is to never visit at the most busy times a year and keep your medications handy. Xanax is fast acting, although Ativan will last longer. If I feel a panic attack coming on, Xanax is really the only option. No amount of rational thinking or trying to calm myself will work. Actually, trying to calm myself makes things worse.

The problem with cell phones is that you often can't hear them at Disney. Even on vibrate, they can go unnoticed.

I've always had issues with anxiety and, like an earlier poster, I planned everything and took control to help ease my mind. Even now that our kids are grown, I tend to do all the planning.

I haven't been to WDW in a bit over 3 years due to an incident that left me with PTSD in addition to my anxiety. Time is healing, and I hope to be ready to return by early next year.

My advice is to never visit at the most busy times a year and keep your medications handy. Xanax is fast acting, although Ativan will last longer. If I feel a panic attack coming on, Xanax is really the only option. No amount of rational thinking or trying to calm myself will work. Actually, trying to calm myself makes things worse.
I really hope you can heal and feel comfortable to return to this magical place. My grandson suffers from anxiety as part of his Dyspraxia and SPD but it was less so when he was very small - we are returning in October 17 and I'm doing as much as I can to be prepared for him to react in different ways so that we have back up plans as he is not old enough to do that for himself. Let us know how you progress x

I really hope you can heal and feel comfortable to return to this magical place. My grandson suffers from anxiety as part of his Dyspraxia and SPD but it was less so when he was very small - we are returning in October 17 and I'm doing as much as I can to be prepared for him to react in different ways so that we have back up plans as he is not old enough to do that for himself. Let us know how you progress x

Thank you! Things are getting better with time. I also have an adult son with autism and a brain injury, so we have to both be ready. :-) We are about at that place now.

For your grandson, if he is older than stroller age, I would seriously consider renting him a wheelchair. It's something that I wish I had thought of when my son was growing up. It gives those with anxiety a bit of a "comfort zone" and keeps people from inadvertently touching them or getting too close. Best of luck to you, hope you enjoy your trip and that your grandson does great and has a fantastic time!

Thank you! Things are getting better with time. I also have an adult son with autism and a brain injury, so we have to both be ready. :-) We are about at that place now.

For your grandson, if he is older than stroller age, I would seriously consider renting him a wheelchair. It's something that I wish I had thought of when my son was growing up. It gives those with anxiety a bit of a "comfort zone" and keeps people from inadvertently touching them or getting too close. Best of luck to you, hope you enjoy your trip and that your grandson does great and has a fantastic time!
Thank you - we will have stroller for his little sister but he will be too big by then for it - so yes it's something to consider when we get closer to his trip. DH and I are currently wondering if we might get a short trip in this September/October- I am trying to justify it as a "research" trip ready for our next adventure with the littlies! :dogdance:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter