Anticipating ear problems... what to do?

twinklebug

Home is where the heart is.
DS (9) has a history of ear infections, but luckily we've never had trouble on a trip. This year I'm not feeling so fortunate as he has an infection and has been miserable for the last 2 days.

Oy. Crossing my fingers hoping all is well because I know first hand how painful a flight can be with ear problems. (Picture a 22yo adult with tears streaming so long that she had to change her shirt after landing) I will rent a car and drive home before subjecting anyone to that.

What can I do to help?

Either of these two things:

1. Bring a ear cleaning kit with you and wash out your son's ears (rubbing alcohol, straw and a ballon thingy).

2. Before going on the trip, have his pedi clean out his ears thoroughly. Ask pedi for an antibiotic (just in case).

This should eliminate any possible infections or irritations.

Will he still be on antibiotics when you leave?? If so, his ears should be fine. If not, I would just ask your DR for a prescription for an antibiotic just in case. My older dd had the same problem with her ears, and her DR would give us a prescription for Amoxicillion in dry form. If she got an ear infection on our trip we could just mix it with water and give it to her. We actually never had too, but it was a comfort to have it with us just in case.

Hi & thanks for the replies & ideas.

The drops he's on will be for 7 days only. It's a tiny jar and I doubt there will be any left over when done (considering I accidently dripped an earful on the first try) :lmao:

I did ask the Dr about a prescription to fill if need be (after 3 kids I know when one has an ear infection verses other problems) but he wouldn't consider it. Amox is great at nipping the pain in the ... uh... ear :teeth: right from the start too.

I've never considered a cleaning to be preventive for infection, but it does make sense.

My DD had a terrible ear infection right before we flew last time and the doctor gave us something in case the ear ruptured. You may ask about that. I don't remember what it was called though. We never needed it. I hope it all works out.

I wonder if using Ear Planes would help? Just a thought. I hope your dc is feeling better!

Our GP gave us a prescription of Antib's for dd when she had one. I found plenty of pain relief on the flight helped her. I gave her it an hour before take off and then an hour before landing. She was fine most of the flight otherwise. It was a 9 hour flight.

twinklebug said:
DS (9) has a history of ear infections, but luckily we've never had trouble on a trip. This year I'm not feeling so fortunate as he has an infection and has been miserable for the last 2 days.

Oy. Crossing my fingers hoping all is well because I know first hand how painful a flight can be with ear problems. (Picture a 22yo adult with tears streaming so long that she had to change her shirt after landing) I will rent a car and drive home before subjecting anyone to that.

What can I do to help?

Take him to a chiropractor! Trust me, it works wonders! They can clear up 80% of ear infections WITHOUT an antibiotic, plus prevent most ear infections (according to research). Even one visit could help, although if you have time for several, that would be ideal. Good luck! :wizard:

I see you have 15 day before you leave..i think the antibiotics should have it cleared up before then..hopefully.
My DH has REALLY bad ears and his ENT told him he has to do take these steps before going up and coming down...(he has ruptured his eardrum more than once flying(his ears don't release pressure)....
1)He has to take a sudafed 1 hour before the flight(or Benadryl)
2)He has to put Neosenephrine in his nose(they have drops and spray, but not sure if a child can use it..its pretty strong)it clears everything out so you are all clear, nothing is blocked up.
3)And the most important is using Ear Planes..they are a life saver.
We use Ear planes for my 4 yo as well..she got her Daddy's ears :(
Good Luck and let us know how you make out!!! I hope your DS is feeling better soon!

I spoke with the pediatrician this morning and he clarified that DS does not have an ear infection, but rather Swimmer's ear (an inflamation of the outer ear canal). That's why he's not reponding as quickly to the drops as he would if it were an infection and using Amoxocillian. Ahhhhh.

Not that it makes the problem feel any better... just nice to know. :crazy:

I found the info on babymd.com on how to tell the difference between swimmer's ear and an ear infection. The doc said that IF anything were to happen and he could tell by the symptoms over the phone it was an infection, he'd have no problem calling in a 'script to a pharmacy in the area (as long as the state allows this: ie: not SC)

I would still get the ear planes...just in case his ears give him problems on the plane..jmo
Happy to hear it wasn't an ear infection!!!

Ariel8676 said:
I would still get the ear planes...just in case his ears give him problems on the plane..jmo
Happy to hear it wasn't an ear infection!!!

I found purple earplanes in my DH's luggage, but I think they're too big: adult size? Do you know if they make smaller ones?

Decongestant, chew gum, drink liquid.

They do make earplanes for kids - I just saw some in Eckerd. My six year old son has tons of ear problems, too - it used to be just ear infections/ruptured eardrums, and this summer it's swimmers ear and yet another ruptured eardrum. Our ped. also told us to give him Benadryl before our plane ride and to use earplanes - but, she also gave us an Rx just in case. My ds was using Floxin drops last week after the rupture - not sure if that's what you're using or not, but would the dr. consider just another Rx of that to take along? Good luck! Tammy

twinklebug said:
I spoke with the pediatrician this morning and he clarified that DS does not have an ear infection, but rather Swimmer's ear (an inflamation of the outer ear canal). That's why he's not reponding as quickly to the drops as he would if it were an infection and using Amoxocillian. Ahhhhh.

My dd has swimmer's ear, too. This is the 3rd day we're using the drops (3X/day) and her ear still hurts. She is supposed to use the drops for 7 days. It must take a while for the drops to kick in. Maybe you can give it a few more days and see the dr. if it doesn't get better within those days.

I hope that all is well soon for your trip!

I have these drops, just curious if i should take them along - just in case of either -- do they work as good as antibiotic?

lisa

lisaross said:
I have these drops, just curious if i should take them along - just in case of either -- do they work as good as antibiotic?

lisa
What do you mean, does Floxin work as well as an antibiotic. Floxin IS an antibiotic!

benedryl for the plane ride.

I would also see the pediatrician the day before you leave. I know I did this with dd the morning we left since she was complaining her ear was hurting. It was kinda red but no infection. I really hate the idea of antibiotics if not needed so they just gave me a script just in case the pain got worse and she spiked a fever. I took my benedryl, thermometer and child's motrin and surprise- didnt need anything at all..

twinklebug said:
I did ask the Dr about a prescription to fill if need be (after 3 kids I know when one has an ear infection verses other problems) but he wouldn't consider it.
You've got a good, responsible pediatrician on your hands. Antibiotics are SOOOOO over-prescribed, less so now than in the past, now that doctors know about "superbugs," antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Your pediatrician is helping THE WORLD by exercising good clinical judgment and not prescribing an antibiotic without a valid reason. I wish all physicians were as responsible as this.

It's also amazing how misinformed some people (NO ONE HERE!) can be about antibiotics. Misinformed yet terribly passionate. Numerous patients have left my wife's practice because she refuses to prescribe antibiotics for colds (which are not treatable with antibiotics) or for prevention of something that MIGHT happen (in a totally healthy patient0. Generally speaking, physicians who prescribe antibiotics under such circumstances do so to get annoying patients off their backs, to pacify them, even though the doc knows there will be no clinical effect. Doing so is unprofessional, unethical, and just plain wimpy! [On the other hand, seeing something the day before travel that looks like it has a 50/50 chance of needing an antibiotic the next day, that's a valid judgment call and not an irresponsible act, especially if the patient is well-known to the doc.]

My wife gets a lot of disapproving looks and comments when parents bring in their TOTALLY HEALTHY kids before vacations or big holidays, wanting my wife to make sure the kids don't get sick while on vacation, during Christmas, etc. She tells them if she could assure that, she'd do it for our kids, too, but she just can't. When my 3 year old daughter was 4 months old she was hospitalized on New Year's Eve, nothing Mrs. Dr. CleveRocks could've done to prevent it. We've lived the adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter