Another wonderful stay at the Polynesian

lisaviolet

DIS Veteran
Back late last week from a two week stay there.

Standard view. Scored on the room. Quite possibly the second best Standard room. Incredible weather. Truly blessed.

Heads up - my room requests disappeared from the MS. I phoned about a week out to check. A CM suggested that online check-in - I didn't make any requests on it - has been wiping out MS requests lately. Who knows. They certainly don't, laughing. I put them back on and then emailed MS to ask them to confirm that the Polynesian had them, since it was under a week out. And asked them to explain why this is happening and that it is obviously becoming an issue that needs their attention (multiple posts here with vanishing requests). They simply seemed to be confused about what I was questioning about, since they felt that they rectified the issue. Sigh.

Anyway, great service all around. The Polynesian is just incredibly relaxing and the transportation options are fantastic. So many options. It really impacts the vacation experience to have multiple transportation possibilities and with such ease.

Also, I have been to WDW around Christmas/NYE weeks quite a few times. Numbers seemed to be down. In between Christmas and NYE. One evening Epcot EMH was like a personal park experience.

Last edited:
The Poly... the resort with the awesome fountain in the lobby?? Oh wait...
No, it's the resort with the putting green in the back that was once a tropical river.

Sorry... it's a sore spot. I'm sure your trip was great.

MG

Wow, sounds like a wonderful vacation, good for you!

I took my mother Bobbi, who is in poor health. So before leaving it was stressful especially with travel medical insurance. She was vetoed on her desire to stay at the Polynesian in the early seventies. My father got his way and we stayed at the Contemporary. And like any good woman she never ever let him forget. :goodvibes

So this was a forty something year wait to get her stay. :thumbsup2 I'm sure my parents were priced out of the Polynesian by the end of that decade, so yeah DVC!

Couldn't have asked for a better resort for her condition, especially transportation. Made life much easier.

Last edited:
I too miss some of features that you listed Maistre Gracey but wanted to add that that putting green is put to good use! Lots of fun for the kids.
I just can't help but believe it was all done in the interest of cost cutting... while they jacked up the Poly rates.

I sincerely apologize.... I didn't mean to be a downer on your thread.
I'm truly glad you had a great trip.

MG

I just can't help but believe it was all done in the interest of cost cutting... while they jacked up the Poly rates.

I sincerely apologize.... I didn't mean to be a downer on your thread.
I'm truly glad you had a great trip.

MG

There is nothing to apologize for, I was laughing at your comments. And being totally sarcastic. Like any good Canadian.

Glad to hear you had a great trip! Our shorter stay at the Poly just before yours was wonderful too. I went with a pool view request and got it. :thumbsup2

Glad to hear you had a great trip! Our shorter stay at the Poly just before yours was wonderful too. I went with a pool view request and got it. :thumbsup2

Wonderful Kathy.

A lot of my alternate room numbers were of that view. I will ask for it in the future. But I actually thought on this trip that I love the resort so much that I won't care all that much about the view in the future (Of course after I have had two fabulous ones!)

We shall see if I have an ounce of integrity if I get a crappy view!:rotfl2:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I must have been processing THINGS THAT WE MISS AT THE POLYNESIAN. Because I woke up thinking of the hammocks. :love::sad2:

I took my mother Bobbi, who is in poor health. So before leaving it was stressful especially with travel medical insurance. She was vetoed on her desire to stay at the Polynesian in the early seventies. My father got his way and we stayed at the Contemporary. And like any good woman she never ever let him forget. :goodvibes

So this was a forty something year wait to get her stay. :thumbsup2 I'm sure my parents were priced out of the Polynesian by the end of that decade, so yeah DVC!

Couldn't have asked for a better resort for her condition, especially transportation. Made life much easier.

Good for you! I am so happy your mom got to experience something she really wanted.

My mom Passed on Dec 29.. at 97. She had not traveled to WDW since she turned 88, but she always smiled when we came back with pictures. Her favorite resort was Boardwalk, but came to appreciate the VWL.

Good for you! I am so happy your mom got to experience something she really wanted.

My mom Passed on Dec 29.. at 97. She had not traveled to WDW since she turned 88, but she always smiled when we came back with pictures. Her favorite resort was Boardwalk, but came to appreciate the VWL.

Love sent Bobbi. :hug:

There is always some small comfort in a long life but in the end it's your mom. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your mother.

Back late last week from a two week stay there.

Standard view. Scored on the room. Quite possibly the second best Standard room. Incredible weather. Truly blessed.

Wow, that is an awesome "standard" view! Was your room in Moorea or Tokelau? Were you able to see the water pageant from your balcony?

Thank you so much!!!I can feel the hug!!!

Good. Not an easy time.

My parents were on many of my DVC stays. My father wasn't all sunshine and lollipops on a lot of these times away. Just his way. He loved to think that I was responsible for all Disney transportation, laughing.

Yet I am so very happy that I made the choices that I did all these years.

His last one he was like a little boy there out of the blue and very happy. I suggested we go over to the Grand Floridian. He saw the boat rental and no one could finish their lunch!!!!

May your memories there bring you comfort Bobbi. I am sure there are so many wonderful ones.

Last edited:
Wow, that is an awesome "standard" view! Was your room in Moorea or Tokelau? Were you able to see the water pageant from your balcony?

It is Tokelau. And yes I could watch the pageant from the room.

Another nice feature was that the exit right beside this room was an unobstructed view of everything - Magic Kingdom, fireworks, lake. Because of the positioning of Tokelau.

The room beside it 3914 should immediately be assigned as lake view, in my opinion. On its balcony, being the end room, there is a cut out to the north. So it has a better view than most of the first floor Moorea lake view rooms.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you had a good stay. My daughter & her family are staying there in a few weeks. First time in awhile they've gone without us & their first at the Polynesian. She has 3 kids aged 4, 7 & 9. I was expecting to book them a 1 BR at BLT for the extra space & bathroom. They chose the Polynesian...saved us lots of points but I worry a little that they'll be crowded. I'm excited for them though & glad we were able to book it at 7 months. We stayed 2 nights at the end of a trip in April 2015 when Moorea had just opened. There was still lots of construction going on then but it was still beautiful. I'd like to stay again soon. Glad to hear the crowds are down. My daughter's family won't get to go as often now with airfare & park tickets so high for five. I want them to have a great trip.

Glad to hear you had a good stay. My daughter & her family are staying there in a few weeks. First time in awhile they've gone without us & their first at the Polynesian. She has 3 kids aged 4, 7 & 9. I was expecting to book them a 1 BR at BLT for the extra space & bathroom. They chose the Polynesian...saved us lots of points but I worry a little that they'll be crowded. I'm excited for them though & glad we were able to book it at 7 months. We stayed 2 nights at the end of a trip in April 2015 when Moorea had just opened. There was still lots of construction going on then but it was still beautiful. I'd like to stay again soon. Glad to hear the crowds are down. My daughter's family won't get to go as often now with airfare & park tickets so high for five. I want them to have a great trip.

Here's to a lovely stay.:goodvibes

I feel that the extra width makes a tremendous difference in the Polynesian rooms. It just feels different than any other studio to me. So they hopefully they won't feel too crowded. But I'm sure the kids will be fighting over the small pull down bed!

I ordered a cheap camping chair for my Mom, knowing that she wouldn't be safe in any of the other options in the room. But I wouldn't hesitate to bring one again. It was nice to have a portable chair there.

I wonder what made Christmas/NYE down. Frustration over changes at WDW? Price increase all around? Just like you said with air/tickets it is a lot. Some people thinking about terrorism around Chrstmas/NYE holidays? No clue, but the crowds felt very different to me. Who knows what other times of the year will be like.

My biggest piece of advice for them is to really enjoy the resort and not feel like they need to run around. I was there for two weeks and even I wish I had done that even more. The kids will just love it there.

Normally I don't have an issue doing that. In fact, I have done a lot of non-park trips because I simply can't afford park tickets every time. I guess it was because of my mom, such a special trip, that I felt that I couldn't just hang out as much as I usually do. And the fact that she needs 24/7 care so when I had her all ready to go I felt like I needed to go somewhere. There is nothing like the Polynesian for doing nothing. Perfection.

Tell her to order the Twilight Feast/room service if she likes the food from the 'Ohana. Two vacations I have ordered one meal only. It is insane how much food comes. Once it fed two people, with tons of leftovers. This time it fed three easily. Sounds insane but true!

Also, I didn't know this until halfway through my vacation -

One can walk up the sushi bar and order anything off the Kona menu, including takeout. I had tried on the first or second day and the CM just said no to a pineapple upside down cake to go because it is off the menu. He never explained to me that everything else could be ordered and the nope came because they have removed that specific dessert from Kona.

Hope you're able to get back soon GranJan.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter