• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another shoe-related question, but includes ORTHOTICS

MouseMum

Disney Daydreamer
Another poster recently inquired about comfortable shoes for touring the Disney parks. I read through all the posts but couldn't find any definitive answer for my problem. My question refers specifically to finding comfort shoes that will accommodate full-length orthotics. I'm not expecting any lower-priced suggestions, since I haven't come across any that are on the cheaper end that meet my needs. It's been my experience though that many of the highly recommended comfort shoes just don't fit due to the orthotics (even when I am able to remove the footbed). I've sought out many, only to be disappointed time and time again. FYI...I currently have on order through my podiatrist, a sandal, which will have my orthotic built in, so I'm hoping will be good for park touring. Fingers crossed. ::yes::

The problems I encounter -
-most often, the back end of the shoe is not deep enough and my foot slides up and down (slip-ons will never work for me then :(),
-the back end is open (as with Keen sandals) so doesn't hide/accommodate the orthotic,
-the strap on Mary Jane-style shoes become too tight (and I love this style of shoe :worried:),
-toe area becomes too tight (which a 3/4 would help but I dislike the feel of 3/4s).

I'm not alone in wearing orthotics! Surely, there's a number of shoes out there that fit the bill!

FYI...I've been successful in finding comfortable running shoes for park touring (Love my Go Runs and New Balance running shoes) but I'd love a little pair of shoes that look cute with a variety of outfits. Albeit a solid solution to my comfort problem, wearing only running shoes at Disney gets a little boring.

I'm seeking help from all you orthotics-wearers out there...what do YOU wear? TIA!

Last edited:
I've successfully worn my orthotics in Keen mary jane style shoes ... At Disney ... just need to make sure you get a style with a removable insole. My strap has a buckle so can be tightened or loosened as needed.

I also have to wear orthotics in my shoes now(I wear Brooks running shoes per doctor's instructions). When I'm not wearing Brooks in the park I wear Vionic sandals. They have built in orthotics and are comfortable once you get your foot accustomed to them (you are supposed to start with one hour a day and build up until you can wear them all day). I found some that look similar to a Keen or Teva sandal but they also have some that are dressier looking.

I have insoles for my shoes called superfeet. They seem to do the the trick, especially with the new balance Cinderella shoes that I HAD to have, despite the fact that it's a neutral shoe and I need to wear stabilizing running shoes. Not to sure how they would fit with sandals or anything.

I have the same problem, I stick with New Balance sneakers with my orthotics for Disney or any amount of walking. The potential pain is not worth trying anything else for me.

Girl, you're singing my song! I love shoes. LOVE. And then the arthritis hit, and I started with prescription orthotics.

I, too hate the 3/4 traditional orthotic, and the way it feels, like your toes are dropping off a cliff! Then I found these beauties. They are hard cast plastic. They don't give you the toe drop feeling, as they end in exactly the right place. So, I slip these in my ballet flats or cute boots. They also slide underneath the sock liner in my sneakers.

I have the full orthotic for different sneakers, as some sneakers (My Sauconys) work better with the full orthotic, and my New Balances like the 3/4 better.

As for overall comfort without an orthotic, but certainly not a cute park are my Danskos.

UFO-Orthotics-Large.jpg

I did find these beauties, which I can wear in the parks in the summer without my knees screaming in pain.

http://www.ems.com/oofos-womens-oor...6LIKtbDnPFJpUeFLzWapdk6hvbjxH346ITBoCGkfw_wcB

My Keen Whisper sandals would fit an orthotic. The Whispers have good coverage and the heel comes up as high as a tennis shoe would. I love Keens, and I also have a lot of the Vionic sandals.

For the amount of walking Disney requires, I have to stick to my New Balance shoes with my full orthotics. I just bought a new pair and slid in the orthotics to wear them before out upcoming trip. I have not found anything that worked better for me.

Girl, you're singing my song! I love shoes. LOVE. And then the arthritis hit, and I started with prescription orthotics.

I, too hate the 3/4 traditional orthotic, and the way it feels, like your toes are dropping off a cliff! Then I found these beauties. They are hard cast plastic. They don't give you the toe drop feeling, as they end in exactly the right place. So, I slip these in my ballet flats or cute boots. They also slide underneath the sock liner in my sneakers.

I have the full orthotic for different sneakers, as some sneakers (My Sauconys) work better with the full orthotic, and my New Balances like the 3/4 better.

As for overall comfort without an orthotic, but certainly not a cute park are my Danskos.

UFO-Orthotics-Large.jpg

I did find these beauties, which I can wear in the parks in the summer without my knees screaming in pain.

http://www.ems.com/oofos-womens-ooriginal-thongs-mocha/18780600075.html?emssrcid=PPC:gooPLAs:149600847885custom3normal&custom0footwear&custom1sandals&adpos=1o1&creative=79858346925&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiAxfu1BRDF2cfnoPyB9jESJADF-MdJ9rsNDim6LIKtbDnPFJpUeFLzWapdk6hvbjxH346ITBoCGkfw_wcB

These are very similar to my custom orthotics my podiatrist had made for me. They work very well. I do generally wear them in a high quality tennis shoe though. I have found that most comfortable for my feet. Comfort before fashion for me unfortunately.

I would look for a specialty shoe store near where you live. We ship at a store called walk well for my dd. She use to have orthotics but now just has a weird foot and it hard to find shoes that fit her well. They measure her whole foot not just how long then bring her shoes that will fit best. And we start there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter