Another quick dining review, all opinion, no pics

IncredibleboysMom

DIS Veteran
Returned last night from 5 nights of free dining. Here are our two cents:

All Star Music food court: We had one dinner and a couple of breakfasts. I was surprised at how much we enjoyed having a food court at our resort. The kids had chocolate chip pancakes and Mickey waffles. DH and I liked the made to order omeletes and biscuits and gravy (snack credit!). The bacon and sausage are yucky. Dinner for me was the chicken penne alfredo, and maybe I was just really hungry, but it rocked! DH had some kind of turkey sandwich and said it was good. The boys had pizza and didn't complain :goodvibes

Capt Cooks: I had the brilliant idea that we would eat here so DH could get his precious Tonga toast....he got the bounty platter:confused3. The boys and I had Mickey waffles, just like the ones we could have had at ASMu. It WAS pleasant eating outside at the Poly...and oh yeah, deluxe CS bacon is also yucky!

1900 Park Fare: I was a bit nervous about dragging my 3 boys here, but it was great. Druzilla (sp?) decided my 12 yr old was her fiancé and pulled him up to dance with her...priceless! The food while not fabulous, was good by buffet standards. Sushi, shrimp, prime rib...our needs were met. I was glad we ate here, but will probably face a mutiny if I ever tried it again.

San Angel Inn: This was our Candlelight Processional lunch and we paid OOP for it. I thought it was just ok. The appetizers were better than the entrees. We had the shrimp cocktail and the chicken tostadas. The entrees were the sirloin chilequiles and a pork tenderloin special. The kids had chicken tacos. DH liked this meal more than I did. We ate at La Hacienda last time and I preferred it.

Rose and Crown: I snagged this reservation during Illuminations a month before we left. We were still full from lunch so we shared some things and paid OOP. DH and I shared the frise salad (yummo!) and fish and chips which were very good. The kids had grilled chicken, meaty Mac and kids fish and chips. They liked them all. We didn't have dessert, mostly because our server got into a 20 minute conversation with the next table and by the time he came back to us we were ready to leave. We had an outside table with an incredible view of Illuminations. The bill was $55, totally worth it. I would like to return.

It's getting late, so I will update with remaining meals (Mama Melrose, Raglan Road, Cape May breakfast and WP Express tomorrow). Thanks for reading!

Great report so far! Druzilla also grabbed my poor DS to waltz around the dining room when he was 9. Poor kid was traumatized.:lmao:

Mama Melrose F! package:

Again, the appetizers were the best. We had the tomato/mozzarella salad and the calamari for two. I've had better, fresher Caprese salad (like at Flying Fish :worship:) but it was still pretty good. I really liked the calamari because it was only the rings and was served with peppers, onions and 3 different sauces for a bit of variety. DS 12 had chicken parm and I managed a bite before he cleaned his plate...average, possibly below average. The sauce tasted canned. FWIW, we had chicken parm at Tony's last year and thought it was beter. DH and I had the chicken campanelle. Kind of a chicken alfredo with sundried tomatoes, spinach and broccoflower (?!). I was liking this OK until I noticed that alot of the little broccoli flowers or whatever were partially brown. DH thought it was b/c they had been grilled, but it turned me off and I didn't enjoy it much after that. For dessert we had the chocolate cannoli cake. I was excited about this because I LOVE cannoli. This was again, just OK. Two of the boys had ice cream sundaes, but DS 6 had the "spaghetti and meatballs" cupcake. He thought this was hilarious and loved it. The "noodles" are made with icing, there is a chocolate "meatball" on top and strawberry "marinara" sauce. Adorable, and tasty too! All in all, I could eat at Mama's again for appys and possibly try a flatbread, but that's all I would return for.

Raglan Road:

Best meal of the trip for me. DH and I had appys, drinks and dessert here in September, so I was ready to try some entrees. I had the chicken and mushroom pie with a Caesar salad rather than the plain greens listed with it. This was very, very good. Like a chicken pot pie but better. The salad was good too. DH had a lobster risotto special. He liked it alot, but I didn't when I tried it. Can you tell we have different tastes? ;) DS 12 was thrilled to get a cheeseburger and polished it off in about 3 minutes, seriously. I assume it was good. The little guys had macaroni and cheese. One liked it, the other prefers his mac and chez to have an orange color (this was white, creamy cheese) and did not. DH had the bread pudding for dessert. This was what we had in Sept, so though I liked it, wanted something new. DS 12 and I had the chocolate kiss cake. Unfreakinbelievable!!! This is what chocolate should be... The little dudes had ice cream I think. So we loved Raglan Road, our food and service was great, the kids enjoyed the dancers and one even came to the table to talk to us. It is now a must-do for our family.

O'Hana:

It was our first time back in several years. Certainly a good meal, but my kids complained a bit as I refused to allow them to order more mac and cheese or chicken fingers. They finally gave in to hunger and seemed to enjoy the meal as did DH. I liked the salad alot and the steak and chicken. DH loved the potstickers and all the meats. DS 12 ate his weight in broccoli (hooray for mom!) and shrimp. The little guys loved the bread. The bread pudding really is all it's reported to be. The banana foster sauce is to die for. We like O'Hana and will certainly return one day, but I don't think it deserves all of the hype it gets.

Cape May Cafe breakfast:

This was the only place that we had truly never eaten at before. I really liked the calm, quietness here. Chef Mickey's is too loud and chaotic for me to enjoy. The food was great with alot of variety. I like the egg casserole/frittatas they served here as well as their breakfast potatoes. They also had a couple of salads, yes salads on the breakfast buffet as well. I am not really much of a breakfast fan, so I kind of liked having them after everything else. We saw Goofy, Donald and Minnie in their adorable bathing suits. They were very sweet and interactive. I would eat here again.

Wolfgang Puck Express:

I had the turkey melt with sweet potato fries. It was excellent, especially the fries. DH had the meatloaf sandwich and is still talking about it! The boys had cheese pizza and chicken finger... ho hum. Our desserts were creme brulee and cheesecake (yummy) and cookies and brownies. Oddly, my kids did not like the cookie or brownies at all! They took a bite or two and threw them away ?! DS 12 said the brownie was hard. To me, the best thing at WPE is the tropical tea. It is so refreshing!

That's about it. Feel free to ask questions. We are planning our next trip in March for Atlanta Braves spring training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter