• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another luau question… or a few

You can always try and call every day and see. Or some people say they took their name for a cancellation and have actually gotten calls back (we didn’t get a call back) but don’t stress out too much! Paradise cove luau is like a 5-10 minute walk and it’s a really good luau. My kids had an amazing time. We really only chose it over Chiefs because of the proximity to Aulani and that it was at a beach location. Chiefs is a VERY short drive away and has amazing reviews just no beach location.

It wasn’t the OP’s original question but you may want to explore north shore a bit & consider Polynesian Cultural Center as well, though their packages look a bit more pricey than I recall.

We're going to Aulani for the first time in May. I'm honestly behind on planning for this trip, and just checking now, their luau looks booked through August!?! Does anyone know if they save some tickets for sale on site?

Shame on me, but I honestly didn't think I'd need to be booking far out for the luau. Anything else I should be booking immediately?
Booked through August!? Man, I guess I am behind on planning too. We are taking the family there in June. Thanks for the heads up!

One more plug for the local kine mom & pop businesses all over Oahu. Highway Inn (Waipahu & Kaka’ako), Sushi King in Kaka’ako, Golden Pork (ramen) on King St, Green Papaya on Keeaumoku St., Off the Hook Poke in Mānoa to name a few. Please don’t hit only the chain restaurants we’re all used to, you’ll be very happy you tried some of these places.

You can always try and call every day and see. Or some people say they took their name for a cancellation and have actually gotten calls back (we didn’t get a call back) but don’t stress out too much! Paradise cove luau is like a 5-10 minute walk and it’s a really good luau. My kids had an amazing time. We really only chose it over Chiefs because of the proximity to Aulani and that it was at a beach location. Chiefs is a VERY short drive away and has amazing reviews just no beach location.
Thank you very much. I am looking at Paradise Cove now. We might not bother with a car on this trip, so I am with you on the walking distance being important.

Booked through August!? Man, I guess I am behind on planning too. We are taking the family there in June. Thanks for the heads up!
I should say booked into August. There are a few August dates left. Hope it works out for you!

Just a thought,,as I have not been yet....but could they maybe still limiting the number of people attending and that is why it is booked till Aug. But as things open up,,and then they start sitting different families together, they might increase the numbers that can go and open up spaces.

We are doing paradise cove in may because Aulani is booked. However I called last week they had some reservations on the 28th of may but we don't arrive till the 29th. So try calling even if its booked online as it was if you going before memorial day

I don't know if you're still deciding, but here is my take. We were at the Aulani Luau last month, and it was just okay. Average food; nice storytelling to keep the interest of littles; but unfortunately bad service for us. Our server forgot our drinks and our desserts. When we gently reminded her, it was more "oh, woops" instead of "I'm sorry." And we're not impatient. We waited to ask for desserts until after all the tables around us had theirs cleared away.

We did not do VIP, because for us, the value in that would have been early entry for our kids to do activities, but there still weren't any activity stations when we went. We were seated in the back half of the lawn, and viewing was fine.

The only other Luau we have been to was the Smith Family Luau in Kauai, and Aulani's was not even comparable to that, in my opinion. Not sure about Paradise Cove, but if I went back today, I would definitely try that instead of returning to Aulani's.

Glad I can help! I know it's so hard to make a decision. Disney definitely goes above and beyond with food/dietary requirements, but I'm sure you will have a good experience with whatever you decide! :)
I am lactose intolerant - and we booked the Aulani luau. I wondered if that was one of your allergy issues or not. I find it hard to find things not bathed in butter or cream sauces.

I was not impressed with the Paraside Cove luau. The show was good- but the food and buffet area were gross. I also didn't like that I was walking around in dirt, sitting at plastic tables and chairs, and had to pay for drinks. We spent almost 45 minutes in line to get a drink. I wish I would have booked the Aulani luau instead.

We did the Old Lahaina luau in Maui after leaving Oahu and WOW. What a huge difference. Private wood tables and chairs, plated dinner served course by course, all drinks included, banana bread when we left for breakfast the next day. For pretty much the same price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter