James souder

Earning My Ears
Annual passes

Let me start off by saying I’m aware of how COVID-19 has affected the tourism and the theme parks or any other business were large groups of people congregate.

I’m an annual passholder and I renewed my pass at the beginning of April and at the end of March, thanking that this was going to be over with at the end of May.. I currently hold the Platinum Plus Annual Pass, currently I cannot use the waterpark option and Not sure about the ESPN option. I’m OK with not park hopping I do like the fact that currently we have 30 to 40% off some resort stays. However a platinum pass pretty much has the same thing and when I called to try to get them to downgrade it the answer was no they could not do that; currently I pay month by month and I’ve been a Passholder for over 10 years. The month by month was just more convenient for me.

My options are I can cancel my pass currently if I do it before the 11th or 12th or I can add 30 days to it for free. well I feel a little jaded, I feel like I’m having my arm twisted to cancel my pass. A lot of people have the Platinum Pass they’re paying less for, I have the Platinum Plus which I’m paying a lot more for. This is the cost of the waterpark option and ESPN option.

What I’m not OK with is not being able to enter the park when I want to or at least have a chance of getting in. When they put together the park reservation system I don’t think they did that great of a job.

And here’s why.

One .
Currently day today or multiday tickets are not being sold out and those reservations are not being made, also nor is resort stay spaces are not being reserved either, so the spaces are open for passholders.

Two.
Currently with the park hours changing within the next few weeks, just as an example after 1 2 or 3 PM, I’m pretty sure no one’s going to spend $109 or more to enter the park for a few hours.

Three.
After a certain time in the day the spaces that were not reserved could be moved over to the annual passholders so that they may come in in the evenings.

All I’m saying is the spaces that have not been reserved should be moved over for the annual passholders. No need to make computer changes etc. etc., , Go through security and temp checks and walk up and scan your bracelet Or pass. If there’s space you get to come in if there’s not you don’t. Pretty much for Floridians But it works for other passholders as well. And if you wanted to make reservations for after that on that day after a certain hour in the pm, since it’s the old Fastpass system it already has the capabilities.. This is a day by day system, and does not allow you to make this reservation in advance..

Four.
This reservation system that you have put together for the park which is a good idea, But I feel that it was put together too quickly with a lot of knee-jerk reaction. Not really sure how to word it and not sound Bourgeois.

Well I’ve said what I had to say and I hope somewhere down the line that Disney will put aside this knee-jerk reaction of always saying no, and start looking in the ways that they can better serve there pass holders which have been there for a very long time. There are people who have a lot of money invested in these passes for them and their children, unfortunately with COVID-19 I still feel that they’re being pushed aside.

Last edited:
I think they do notice, since they already did adjust the % to each category to provide more for annual passholders. I also suspect part of the frustration is due to folks making reservations and not showing up to the park. They can only reserve up to 'x' % of capacity per their agreement with the unions and the state. However, if half the passholders reserve, then don't show, it's simply gone. (Please note, folks reserving and not showing, I have no article to link. Simply a verbal rumor) Since they COULD simply show up in the evening, or stay all day, they aren't able to allow non-reservation guests in after a certain hour. If they allow non-reserves in the afternoon, if suddenly all of the reserves showed up, they're stuck. Can't deny a reservation, can't kick the non-reserves out.

I agree it's an issue, but I think their hands are tied until the capacity is raised to give them a bit more flexibility.

What I’m talking about is the spaces that have not been reserved, such as Park Ticket sales, and resort guests who have not reserved. If someone makes a reservation and chat chooses not to show up until about 3 o’clock that’s OK they already have the reservation. I’m talking about the spaces that have not been reserved. They could be moved over to the passholder, this entire thing is very frustrating.

Sounds like cancelling the pass is the best option for you.
If you keep it, you'll feel disgruntled and cheated.

Sounds like cancelling the pass is the best option for you.
If you keep it, you'll feel disgruntled and cheated.
I feel disgruntled and I am about to cancel my AP, because I don’t know, with any certainty, whether the travel bans will be lifted by October. I have a 14 night WDW resort RO reservation at a ‘closed’ resort, but have just booked a 7 day WDW package with tickets at an ‘open’ resort, both of which I can cancel if the travel ban remains in place. I am holding on to the first reservation, just in case WDW offers a price protected upgrade. I have also booked 7 nights at UOR HRH as I have a UOR AP.
I feel disgruntled because I feel that I am being forced to make a decision about my AP today, before I know whether the travel ban will remain in October, will BA fly etc. I think WDW should have distinguished between those who cannot fly due to government restrictions and those who choose not to visit due to Covid concerns. Also, UK APHs have not been sent any correspondence by WDW, so we only know about today’s deadline from third party forums.
Anyway, when I have finished my internal whinging, I firmly remind myself, that Covid is no more WDW’s fault than mine and that they are actually being very generous offering any refund at all. Pick myself up, dust myself down and get on with life.😂

As a local annual passholder, the only option I see to get a park pass when AP’s are blocked out is to make a resort reservation or buy a single day ticket. Neither choice is appealing to me.

As a local annual passholder, the only option I see to get a park pass when AP’s are blocked out is to make a resort reservation or buy a single day ticket. Neither choice is appealing to me.
That is some of the options I was given when I called the annual passholder line. Wasn’t very happy about it. However I was nice to the lady on the other end.

That was very nice of you. We all have to remember that the front line cast members don‘t make the rules, but have to enforce them. They are underpaid and in most cases under appreciated. I try my best to be extra nice to them. My son was CP, PI and then full time cast member before moving on. We are patient, but very disappointed in their lack of concern for APs.

I recommend cancelling. Glad we did as it'd be frustrating and impossible for us

I live 15 miles from parks and used to go frequently. I will hang in there and hope “Disney powers that be” come to their senses. Would love to spend money on dining and shopping at the parks again. It was very nice that Disney gave APs 30% discount, but I would have spent a whole lot more at one of the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter