Annual Passes or Not?

Pocahottie

Mouseketeer
So this is completely new to me but my hubby and I are thinking about doing TWO trips next year. Something neither of us has ever done and I'm wondering when does it come to the point where we should be considering Annual Passes.

So far we are planning most likely 10 days in the end of Jan or early February at a Moderate Resort.
Then probably 2 weeks in the Fall at a Mod. We hope to hit the Food & Wine Festival and maybe MNSSHP. Usually, we would go for the dining plan for our Fall trip but I would be willing to forgo it if AP saved us some money.

So is AP worth considering? Also, have to take in that Canadians are getting a decent discount on tickets right now... But AP gives resort, merchandise and food discounts... And I know for sure our Jan/Feb trip, we will need to be paying for our food.

Help! Please! Any suggestions?

We wouldn't buy the AP with waterpark since we don't tend to hit the waterparks anyways. We only ever did that when my two younger sisters came with us.

i get an AP when i think i will hit 2x in one year. you get discounts on your room, souvineers and some restaurants. and i would check because i "heard" that now the disney photo package is included with an annual pass. my last fast pass was purchased 10-3-14 and was there for 10 days...then went back in sept 2015 and stayed 21 days ending on 10-3. again discounts on room some food and souvineers. lots to consider...

So this is completely new to me but my hubby and I are thinking about doing TWO trips next year. Something neither of us has ever done and I'm wondering when does it come to the point where we should be considering Annual Passes.

So far we are planning most likely 10 days in the end of Jan or early February at a Moderate Resort.
Then probably 2 weeks in the Fall at a Mod. We hope to hit the Food & Wine Festival and maybe MNSSHP. Usually, we would go for the dining plan for our Fall trip but I would be willing to forgo it if AP saved us some money.

So is AP worth considering? Also, have to take in that Canadians are getting a decent discount on tickets right now... But AP gives resort, merchandise and food discounts... And I know for sure our Jan/Feb trip, we will need to be paying for our food.

Help! Please! Any suggestions?

We wouldn't buy the AP with waterpark since we don't tend to hit the waterparks anyways. We only ever did that when my two younger sisters came with us.

The general belief, not considering exchange rates, is for more than 10 Park admissions, an AP saves money. Even with an AP you can get the Dining Plan by booking a "ticketless package " on the telephone.

The general belief, not considering exchange rates, is for more than 10 Park admissions, an AP saves money. Even with an AP you can get the Dining Plan by booking a "ticketless package " on the telephone.

Does this count the Free Dining Package? Because that's what we usually do in Fall but I'm guessing, no?

Does this count the Free Dining Package? Because that's what we usually do in Fall but I'm guessing, no?
You can get free dining if you want. You just need to purchase two day tickets, but you can save them and use them another time if you already have an AP.

Personally I don't see how the break even point is 10 days unless you need hoppers and need parking. You definitely won't need parking while staying on site.

The ancillary discounts don't really add much value IMO.
What *could* amount to a nice discount is an AP room discount, but that is hit or miss.

ETA: Obviously in your case you will have far more than 10 days though.

MG

i get an AP when i think i will hit 2x in one year. you get discounts on your room, souvineers and some restaurants. and i would check because i "heard" that now the disney photo package is included with an annual pass. my last fast pass was purchased 10-3-14 and was there for 10 days...then went back in sept 2015 and stayed 21 days ending on 10-3. again discounts on room some food and souvineers. lots to consider...

With the Platinum Pass (the lowest level that we can purchase as Georgia residents) you get the Memory maker/PhotoPass included. All of your pictures are available to you for one year, not the 30 days that you get when you purchase it separately.

In my opinion if you're doing two full trips then you are probably going to break even on the AP. We are ending our first year as AP holders and will probably not renew. There are many reasons. Some personal reasons but a lot due to the condition of the parks. With so much closed for refurbishments and new construction it's going to be a mess for the next year or two. We will have gotten our moneys worth with three full trips and several weekend ones. We just feel it's not worth the money to renew.

We loved having our APs last season. It was wonderful not having to limit park days and being able to park hop. If you would break even or even pay a little more for APs than you would for base tickets, then I would go with the APs. We loved going to the parks for a few hours each day rather than having to feel as if we needed to stay all day to make the tickets worth it.

Memory Maker was awesome. Had so much fun stopping at every photographer.

Warning: Because of our APs, we went five times last year. Wanted to use our passes. Spent a small fortune on the resorts as we stayed on property each time. Think value rather than savings. We spent so much more than we would have with regular tickets, but we got a lot of value for our money.

I can't really address the financial break even point, but just wanted to add we're nearing the end of our first year with APs and have been totally happy campers. Very pleased with AP room discounts thorough the year and the flexibility it gave us over the general public discount, even for some relatively last minute trips.

We definitely went more/stayed longer than without APs, that's for sure. Ultimately it cost me alot more money on rooms, but totally worth it! Note I have not mapped out "worth" in the financial sense, just speaking from my gut reaction. I'm probably Disney's target audience that isn't quite doing the real math.

Memory maker is a big plus. I appreciate the small discounts on things like some party tickets, merchandise, etc. I also really like the total freedom/flexibility to come/go/hop as we please.

Definitely renewing!

Last edited:
Warning: Because of our APs, we went five times last year. Wanted to use our passes. Spent a small fortune on the resorts as we stayed on property each time. Think value rather than savings. We spent so much more than we would have with regular tickets, but we got a lot of value for our money.

I 1000% agree with this statement. Our experience exactly!

We loved having our APs last season. It was wonderful not having to limit park days and being able to park hop. If you would break even or even pay a little more for APs than you would for base tickets, then I would go with the APs. We loved going to the parks for a few hours each day rather than having to feel as if we needed to stay all day to make the tickets worth it.

Memory Maker was awesome. Had so much fun stopping at every photographer.

But, if you only hit a park for two hours a day, how is that any different??

Don't get me wrong.. I'm an AP fan. I just try to understand some of the logic used here about AP's. For example the 10 day break even...??

MG

But, if you only hit a park for two hours a day, how is that any different??

Don't get me wrong.. I'm an AP fan. I just try to understand some of the logic used here about AP's. For example the 10 day break even...??

MG

For me, it is value for dollar. If I have a 5 day park hopper pass on two separate trips, then the cost per day is much more than if I have an AP (provided I go fourteen days or more with the AP and only go ten with the tickets).

We have typically purchased four or fewer day tickets in the past and used other days for mini golf, restaurants, resort activities, etc. That meant we had to be there at RD and leave at close to get the value I wanted for what I paid. With the APs, the per day cost was so much less that I was okay with only being in the parks a few hours per day.

If the OP goes for two weeks on two different trips, the per day cost will be less than if he/she buys two ten or fewer day passes and goes 20 days than if he/she buys an AP and goes 28 days.

And he/she will get MM as an added bonus.

Value for dollar has always been more important to me than cost. While two trips with two different sets of tickets can be about the same cost (or even less) as two trips with an AP, you get more value with the AP.

But, if you only hit a park for two hours a day, how is that any different?? MG

Because you can go anytime. When you only go for a few hours per day on ten day tickets, you feel like you're not getting your money's worth. It feels much more relaxed knowing you have an AP.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm an AP fan. I just try to understand some of the logic used here about AP's. For example the 10 day break even...?? MG

One 10 day ticket with park hopper costs about $500. To upgrade to an AP would be an extra $250. But you get memory maker worth $150 and food and merchandise discounts of 10-20% with your AP. It may not be worth it for a family of four to upgrade over a ten day period, but it may be worth it if one person in your party upgrades.

I got my AP just before the prices went up in oct 2015. That first trip which was about 10 days we barely broke even but it was on the second trip.. There was a lot of factors of where it saved money and where it barely saved anything.. It really comes down to the total cost of the trip overall when I do the math and if I save anything, it's still saving money.

1: if you can break it even vs the price of your tickets, no brainer, get it. if you do those 2 trips you will save money with the AP but the first trip will cost you more than if you went just tickets or get really close to breaking even.
2: factor in the discounts and for hte next year they are increased. If you purchase a lot of things, do a lot of table service (and some quick service) your going to knock a good amount of money off your spending in other places.
3: if you get memory maker for your trips, you no longer need to purchase that anymore.
4: if you do any tours or ticketed events, there is some savings on that stuff as well..
5: rooms are a little rougher to get a nice discount as they are very limited
6: parking is free for AP holders.

There their is other value to the card.. not as plentiful but still there..

1: exclusive merchandise that I find is nice designs than the anyone can but it stuff more often than not.
2: free stuff at events like food and wine and flower and garden (nothing fancy but free is free).
3: AP holders are usually the first to get some benefit to entice you into the parks to spend more money like recently it was near half priced 1 day tickets you could buy for friends and family to get into the parks. so when disney is doing bad, we benefit.
4: if your lucky to be around and notice the offer, there is a lot of AP things like screenings of new movies early or limited entrance to new things happening (usually for the disneyparks blog to record it with a small crowd also there like they did with osbourne lights). They go really fast though and rough to get in.

You also get eligible for tables in wonderland which is a discount card oyu can purchase. If you do a lot of table service dining around property this card alone can quickly break you even on getting an ap even with just a normal week long trip. it's a little more hazy right now with the new AP discounts on food being basically the same thing but this card also includes alcohol and it's hte only discount for alcohol that is available on property. Also recently they did 20% off merch if you had TiW at select stores, and they do their own dining events like special dinners in lesser known but high quality places (like the restaurants in golden oak) or the preview buffet for the epcot food and something shows. costs you more but depending on how you dine it might be better but you need to research this a lot more as the AP discount for the next year might be all you need.

For rooms, I have had some nice last second rooms but they are fewer and not really easy to plan with very limited stays... like most discounts you book and deposit and then hope something better comes out in time to change without a fee to do so. I find it's only a minimal amount more from what has been offered to everyone and only used the discount once for a last second extension of a trip when my daughter got sick and we had to stay 3 more nights for her to be able to travel home.

now you mention free food.. this gets really tricky because you've seen value in the past without a food discount of some kind. When you start to get 10 or 20% off, it's not that great and i've found the other discounts or room only discounts to make the trip be the lowest price possible. It really depends on how you dine though so you need to do the math. One thing not really mentioned offer is there is generally a ticketless version of every discount for ap holders but only available when booked over the phone. It may not be a 100% matching deal but generally the overall cost of the trip will come out similar with the discount offered. (so instead of free food, it might be additional discount on the room of similar price to what you might spend on food or value you get from having free food).

Also you can apply ticket to the cost to renew or a future AP purchase so if you want the free food deal you just hang onto the tickets and use them for a future trip. Just only buy the minimum needed for the discount.

** buyer beware **

This has already been said in this thread but when you have an AP, you will probably end up taking extra trips making the total cost you spent for the year even higher than you thought it would save you. It's going to burn a hole so your going to be watching what's going on, something is going to close or open and you'll decide lets do a long weekend at disney. You'll see some interesting event and decide it's time to check that out. You'll happen to look up airlines for a business trip or just to see what it would cost to run to disney when your a little down and if it's a can't pass up deal, it's a lot easier to suddenly come to disney when you have your park tickets already...

That's my take on AP in a nutshell.. good luck with the math to see if it works out (if you do both those trips, it works out).

Last edited:
Another GA AP holder chiming in here. I purchased APs for myself and my younger college aged daughter. We will have used them for four visits, albeit short trips but still the knowledge that we were able to go four times within a 12 month period is somewhat remarkable. We have stayed twice at the Polynesian, once CL at Boardwalk Inn and in two days will check in at Yacht Club. This time around with the APs I've noticed that they are giving more discounts, like the ability to purchase discounted 1 day hoppers at the gate for friends and family last month. Also, adding Memory Maker and upping the merchandise discount to 20% is an added bonus.

For me, it is value for dollar. If I have a 5 day park hopper pass on two separate trips, then the cost per day is much more than if I have an AP (provided I go fourteen days or more with the AP and only go ten with the tickets).

We have typically purchased four or fewer day tickets in the past and used other days for mini golf, restaurants, resort activities, etc. That meant we had to be there at RD and leave at close to get the value I wanted for what I paid. With the APs, the per day cost was so much less that I was okay with only being in the parks a few hours per day.

If the OP goes for two weeks on two different trips, the per day cost will be less than if he/she buys two ten or fewer day passes and goes 20 days than if he/she buys an AP and goes 28 days.

And he/she will get MM as an added bonus.

Value for dollar has always been more important to me than cost. While two trips with two different sets of tickets can be about the same cost (or even less) as two trips with an AP, you get more value with the AP.
Well the key lies in your first paragraph. Obviously you can make an AP work if you go enough days. In your case 14 is beyond the magic number, especially when talking about multiple 5 and 4 day tickets.

That said, when figuring cost per day it's irrelevant if it's a five day tix or an annual pass.
Where I do see an advantage is if a family has a 7 day trip with 5 day passes and 5 parks planned. With the AP now you can just enter Epcot for Rose & Crowne on a sixth day without stress.

MG

Because you can go anytime. When you only go for a few hours per day on ten day tickets, you feel like you're not getting your money's worth. It feels much more relaxed knowing you have an AP.

One 10 day ticket with park hopper costs about $500. To upgrade to an AP would be an extra $250. But you get memory maker worth $150 and food and merchandise discounts of 10-20% with your AP. It may not be worth it for a family of four to upgrade over a ten day period, but it may be worth it if one person in your party upgrades.
Memory maker... okay. We have been too many times for pictures, but I understand different situations for different families on that.

The merchandise.... I don't get that. Who still buys that crap?? It's made in China and falls apart in three months.
Plus a number of other venues get you similar discounts.

Park hopper. I have been to Disney more times than I can count and maybe hopped twice. But again, different strokes....

The room AP discount is another story. That can truly pay for the pass all by itself... if you're fortunate enough to get the discount.

Also if not staying on site the parking privelidges can be a good bargain.

MG

The merchandise.... I don't get that. Who still buys that crap?? It's made in China and falls apart in three months.
Plus a number of other venues get you similar discounts.

It depends on the person but not all merch is trinkets that fall apart. If you get a bottle of soda, water or powerade at the park, if you get it from the merch store you get the discount. If you get something the candy, apples and other confectioneries they are also considered merch and you get the discount unless it's a place considered counter or table service then it's the meal discount for those things. If you get popcorn every trip, generally 1 store per park sells it inside with other things and that location you get the discount but the popcorn stands you don't. ponchos, shirts, etc.. I don't buy much either but if you get anything and buy it smart it's a discount. and some thigns are worth it to people when it's 20% off. at springs the discount goes pretty far with money of just about everything there including movie tickets if your family likes donig that when visiting.

for example every year I get a coffee mug with the year on it. it's not much savings but I can rely on it being money back on the trip when I have a discount to buy it.

It depends on the person but not all merch is trinkets that fall apart. If you get a bottle of soda, water or powerade at the park, if you get it from the merch store you get the discount. If you get something the candy, apples and other confectioneries they are also considered merch and you get the discount unless it's a place considered counter or table service then it's the meal discount for those things. If you get popcorn every trip, generally 1 store per park sells it inside with other things and that location you get the discount but the popcorn stands you don't. ponchos, shirts, etc.. I don't buy much either but if you get anything and buy it smart it's a discount. and some thigns are worth it to people when it's 20% off. at springs the discount goes pretty far with money of just about everything there including movie tickets if your family likes donig that when visiting.

for example every year I get a coffee mug with the year on it. it's not much savings but I can rely on it being money back on the trip when I have a discount to buy it.
Indeed... soda and popcorn are fine.
Point is the savings are minimal, and likely do not sway the difference to an AP. Especially if you have one of the many other discount devices.

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter