• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Pass Renewals - Policy Change! (Updated 8/25)

Check Post #18 of the Everything About WDW Tickets locked sticky in this forum. You can get directly to the sticky by clicking on the link in my signature.

There is always speculation about everything. This policy was only announced July 30. That was just a week ago. But the notice did not give any ending date but did say that the dates could change without notice.

The policy said "Effective August 2, 2009", as well as saying renewal had to be within 30 days on either side of expiration, which kind of gives a hint.

Are you implying that this deal will likely be over within 30 days, or just that it is for passes which expire beginning July 2? Forgive me, I haven't gotten much sleep lately...

It is only for renewals actually done on or after August 2, 2009 until such time as Disney decides to (without notice) end the program. And the renewal must be within 30 days of either side of the old pass expiration date.

My AP expired 8/18. I renewed on 8/14. I received my renewal voucher which shows a 12 month period only. I assume when I activate the voucher in Dec that my actual AP will show a 15 month period.

It should show to November 18, 2010, which is 15 months from the original expiration date.

You might want to look at the Everything About WDW Tickets locked sticky in this Forum. Especially the items bolded in the list below.

Post and Contents

1. This Table of Contents
2. Magic Your Way (MYW) Ticket Basics Including Definitions
3. Annual Passes and Water Park Tickets
4. Tickets Available Only to Florida Residents
5. Tickets Not Available to the General Public
6. Upgrading MYW Tickets (Not to Annual Passes)
7. Upgrading Tickets to Annual Passes
8. Dealing With Tickets Issued Prior to 1 January 2005 (Pre-MYW)
9. Children and Adults
10. Special Events
11. Comprehensive MYW Ticket Example
12. Hotel Card (Key To The World (KTTW))
13. Lost Tickets
14. Finger Scans
15. Frequently Asked Ticket Questions.
15A. Hopping Rules
15B. WPF&M With No Expire
15C. No Expire Upgrades
15D. Upgrading an Unused Ticket
15E. Upgrading Special Tickets
15F. Checking on Old Tickets
15G. Renewing Annual Passes
15H. Upgrading a Completely Used Ticket
16. 2009 Free On Your Birthday Promotion
17. Information on Disney's Armed Forces Salute 2009
18. Prices Effective August 2, 2009

To get there directly, follow the link in my signature.

The newest information is this program will run until August 31, 2010 unless Disney decides to end it at a different date. The information now does give the date range but still says it is subject to change without notice.

The newest information is this program will run until August 31, 2010 unless Disney decides to end it at a different date. The information now does give the date range but still says it is subject to change without notice.

That is so good to hear and only fair to everyone whose passes happen to have expiration dates that did not fall within the original date range.

Thanks for keeping us updated Cheshire Figment.
:thumbsup2

Got a question, we're here now on free dining and tried to renew our annual passes and wanted to use the 1-day tickets we purchased to upgrade for our renewal.

We were told that we needed to wait until the end of our trip after we had used all of our dining credits, otherwise, once they stripped the ticket from our room key, the dining credits would be lost.

It's not really a big deal because it so happens our APs expire on the last day of our trip, and we can do the renewal after our last in-park meal before heading to the airport, but I don't think this is correct, cause I know folks have booked the free dining promotion and purchased a 1-day ticket, then upgraded to annual passes at the beginning of their trip.

So how do we go about doing this before the end of our trip. Because after our last in-park sit down meal, we will probably have 2 counter service meals remaining, and had planned to pick up something to go at the Food Court to eat at the airport while waiting for our flight.

Obviously, we need to renew our AP at a park, and won't have time to go back to a park.

So how do we go about doing this before the end of our trip.

Probably the easiest thing would be to go to your hotel and ask the front desk or the concierge to remove the ticket from your KTTW card. Then bring the seperate ticket to Guest Relations at a park to do the upgrade/renewal.

Alternately you could just go back to Guest Relations and try again. I haven't heard of people being refused like that, so I suspect that another cast member would probably be happy to try it for you.

However, I do understand why the first CM was a hesitant to do it because I have heard of people who have had problems with their dining credits after doing a transaction like this. Of course, even if that happens the dining credits aren't lost forever... you can just go back to the hotel and get them fixed, but if you're at a park and want to use the credits it could be pretty inconvenient.

By asking the hotel to seperate the ticket first I think you'll have the best luck... you won't get a CM who refuses to take the ticket off of your KTTW card, and because the hotel does it your dining credits shouldn't be affected (you can always ask them to check the credits after the transaction to make sure that they're still good).

HTH,
Brett

Hi Cheshire,

First of all - thank you for all the information that you provide for us. It's GREATLY appreciated!
I do have a question- our passes are set to expire the 11th of September. If I renew them now over the phone, am I able to get the extra 3 month promotion? We will not be back down until the 17th of September to activate the renewal. I'm just not sure since you stated the promotion would end August 31st. EDITING....to say I'm sorry! I didn't see the whole "2010" ending period. Thanks again for all the information!

That is indeed good information...now some of us that just missed it will have to keep our fingers crossed that Disney will keep the promotion open until Aug 2010 and doesn't decide to chop it sooner. Mine expires 5/23/10, having just renewed this past June...that would let me stretch through 8/23/11 on the next renewal, which would cover 1-2 more Disney trips under that annual pass. :)

That is indeed good information...now some of us that just missed it will have to keep our fingers crossed that Disney will keep the promotion open until Aug 2010 and doesn't decide to chop it sooner. Mine expires 5/23/10, having just renewed this past June...that would let me stretch through 8/23/11 on the next renewal, which would cover 1-2 more Disney trips under that annual pass. :)

Hey, Justin! We have another group for Boma on 12/13. Any chance you'll be there?

Just wondering, if I use an unused 1 day pass that I have and go to Guest Relations to upgrade to an AP, will I receive 12 or 15 months? It sounds like 15. THanks.

Hey, Justin! We have another group for Boma on 12/13. Any chance you'll be there?

Oof! Missed it by THAT MUCH! I'll actually be up there Dec 3-7 this time. Since Mousefest was canceled, those of us who were into the photography group and wanted to still go that time of year joined together for Pixelmania! instead. But I'll probably eat at Boma while I'm there...so I'll eat in your honor. ;)

Oof! Missed it by THAT MUCH! I'll actually be up there Dec 3-7 this time. Since Mousefest was canceled, those of us who were into the photography group and wanted to still go that time of year joined together for Pixelmania! instead. But I'll probably eat at Boma while I'm there...so I'll eat in your honor. ;)

Excellent! It's our same group from last year (all but you I think), plus about another dozen Disers! Sorry to miss you.

Just wondering, if I use an unused 1 day pass that I have and go to Guest Relations to upgrade to an AP, will I receive 12 or 15 months? It sounds like 15. THanks.

12 months on your new AP, the 15 months if for renewals only, not upgrades.

An renewal is having had an AP and buying a continuation. This gets the 15 months.

What you are doing is a simple purchase of a new AP and using a partially or fully used ticket to upgrade to the AP. You will get 12 months from date of first use of your ticket (or date of purchase of the AP if the ticket is unused).

Got a question, we're here now on free dining and tried to renew our annual passes and wanted to use the 1-day tickets we purchased to upgrade for our renewal.

We were told that we needed to wait until the end of our trip after we had used all of our dining credits, otherwise, once they stripped the ticket from our room key, the dining credits would be lost.

It's not really a big deal because it so happens our APs expire on the last day of our trip, and we can do the renewal after our last in-park meal before heading to the airport, but I don't think this is correct, cause I know folks have booked the free dining promotion and purchased a 1-day ticket, then upgraded to annual passes at the beginning of their trip.

So how do we go about doing this before the end of our trip. Because after our last in-park sit down meal, we will probably have 2 counter service meals remaining, and had planned to pick up something to go at the Food Court to eat at the airport while waiting for our flight.

Obviously, we need to renew our AP at a park, and won't have time to go back to a park.

Probably the easiest thing would be to go to your hotel and ask the front desk or the concierge to remove the ticket from your KTTW card. Then bring the seperate ticket to Guest Relations at a park to do the upgrade/renewal.

Alternately you could just go back to Guest Relations and try again. I haven't heard of people being refused like that, so I suspect that another cast member would probably be happy to try it for you.

However, I do understand why the first CM was a hesitant to do it because I have heard of people who have had problems with their dining credits after doing a transaction like this. Of course, even if that happens the dining credits aren't lost forever... you can just go back to the hotel and get them fixed, but if you're at a park and want to use the credits it could be pretty inconvenient.

By asking the hotel to seperate the ticket first I think you'll have the best luck... you won't get a CM who refuses to take the ticket off of your KTTW card, and because the hotel does it your dining credits shouldn't be affected (you can always ask them to check the credits after the transaction to make sure that they're still good).

HTH,
Brett

Great question! :thumbsup2 And one that I hope I hear some positive responses on. We have tried in the past - unsuccessfully - to have our tickets separated from the room key when we checked in. In one of the cases, I was told (after the CM discussed it at length with a supervisor/manager) that if I were to separate the tickets, I would then be canceling the package deal I had and would have to pay the difference in price because it would basically be the room at rack rate and tickets at full price. :headache: I'd already waited quite a while for them to come to this conclusion and didn't feel like taking it further.

This trip however, I really need to use the ticket media toward our AP renewal at the beginning of the trip. Our AP's expire a few days before the trip. We have the dining plan as well, so I'm really hoping they can do this this time. I am not going to do the online check-in since they will have already done the cards if I do that. If they can't seem to be able to, I'll have to add the hopping option (does that mess up dining credits?), which will in turn put our ticket cost above the AP price. (We currently have 10 day, no expiration tickets.)

1- I was told...it would basically be the room at rack rate and tickets at full price.
2- I'd already waited quite a while for them to come to this conclusion and didn't feel like taking it further.
3- I really need to use the ticket media toward our AP renewal at the beginning of the trip.
4- If they can't seem to be able to,
5- I'll have to add the hopping option (does that mess up dining credits?),
6- which will in turn put our ticket cost above the AP price. (We currently have 10 day, no expiration tickets.)

1- They made up that answer on-the-spot to get you to leave them alone.
(Shame on them.) :eek:
2- It worked.
(Shame on you.) ;)
3- You can do it.
4- They can do it.
5- You can, if you like. It won't affect the DP in the least.
6- That might cost you money.

1- They made up that answer on-the-spot to get you to leave them alone.
(Shame on them.) :eek:
2- It worked.
(Shame on you.) ;)
3- You can do it.
4- They can do it.
5- You can, if you like. It won't affect the DP in the least.
6- That might cost you money.

Thank you so much for your response Robo! I'm going to stick to my guns this time. :thumbsup2 I'm also not doing online check-in since I need to talk with them anyway to do this. I don't want to make it any more complicated than it already is. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter