• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ann Arbor, MI

StirlingSilver83

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! My 10yr old son and I will be traveling to the Brighton, MI area in February. My 10 yr old son is extremely intense for his age and has his "whole" life mapped out lol. Anyways he is already talking about going to College and he wants to be a vet but what schools can he go to and what colleges are outthere and what do they look like for him to go to for pre vet. Anyways since we are already going to be out in Michigan I thought it would be fun to take a drive through Ann Arbor and show him around the University of Michigan bc I've heard its absolutely beautiful there. Can anyone give me some cool places to go that would be fun to take him. We are only going to have a few hours on a Sunday afternoon to visit so please no suggestions that would take all day to see. Thanks so much!

I'll write more later but park and see the student union on State st. And walk through the diag across the street. I think there are trophies in the union. U of Michigan takes over the whole town.

I would park on Main st., walk down to Zingerman's Deli and have lunch there. I would then walk up to State St., pass some of the campus buildings and as the poster above suggested, walk through the Diag. You may be able to stop into the student union when you pass it to take a peek.

Just to be fair Brighton MI is right between UofM and Michigan State.

Really? When I looked at the map it looked like Brighton was way closer to Ann Arbor than it was to Lansing. We are going to Michigan bc we are looking at some horses in Howell and Brighton was the closest hotel to Howell. I looked at staying in Ann Arbor (even though my son would of probably loved that, I ultimately decided on Brighton, lol). I am not much for staying in a city type of person. I am a suburb/country girl, lol. Plus I have a massive 2500 Dodge Ram pick up that I am driving so parking is definitely an issue when driving anywhere in a city lol. We live in NJ so whenever we have to go into Philly I have to either borrow my mom's car or rent a car for the day to go into the City bc I would never find parking for my truck lol. Same thing goes if we go into NY but with NY its a bit easier bc we can easily take a train into NY. When I bought my truck never thought about where I was going to have to park if I need to drive into the city, lol

I would park on Main st., walk down to Zingerman's Deli and have lunch there. I would then walk up to State St., pass some of the campus buildings and as the poster above suggested, walk through the Diag. You may be able to stop into the student union when you pass it to take a peek.

Also, Brighton is 30 mins from AA, East Lansing, the opposite direction, is about an hour drive with traffic.

Thanks I will have to remember that! Do they have good subs and stuff there? I was looking for a good lunch place but there are sooo many places how do you choose? LOL

Thanks I will have to remember that! Do they have good subs and stuff there? I was looking for a good lunch place but there are sooo many places how do you choose? LOL

Their sandwiches are outstanding, as all of their food is. It is pricey for a sandwich but worth it. It's an AA institution.

Also, Brighton is 30 mins from AA, East Lansing, the opposite direction, is about an hour drive with traffic.

30 minutes is not that bad, an hour might be pushing it bc thats technically 2 hours worth of driving when we might only have 4 hours to spend. We only have 2 half days to explore Michigan...we are spending the other half of the days looking at horses, so its not a long trip just a weekend thing but I want to do what I can while we are there

Yes many MSU faculty live in Brighton. Or dual MSU and UofM faculty couples. After I posted the first time I re-read your post about pre-vet and MSU would have a lot to offer. Sheep research, dairy, etc.

really? I will have to look more into it, I did read that UofM does offer some prevet courses but not a lot. They mostly suggest taking premed classes and then adding in 2 of their animal science bio classes they offer. But if MSU offers more I might have to look into it.

I have to agree with everyone about Zingermans, they have good stuff. If you're looking for something more upscale, Aventura is our new favorite haunt. As for what to see (I'm assuming you're not familiar with the campus at all):

1. The Diag is the big open space in the middle of campus. There's a bunch of diagonal sidewalks through it, hence the name. There's some really old Elms there (which is only cool if you're a tree nut), the University did a lot of work to protect them from Dutch Elm Disease. There's a big metal 'M' plaque in the center of the Diag. Don't step on it. It's bad luck to do so before completing your first exams.

2. The Law Quad is just beautiful. As is the old above-ground portion of the library. It's like something straight out of Ccambridge. I had my engagement photos taken there.

3. I encourage you to wander through some of the class buildings, and definitely the libraries. You can really get lost in the grad library.

4. It's small, but the Natural History Museum is nice. There's dinosaur bones, and a lot of stuffed "Michigan Native" animals. The lion statues out front also have legends attached to them.

5. The student Union is worth a look to see where and how students really spend their time. You want to go into the basement, that's where people really go.

6. Next to the Union in a little square is a giant cube (it's called The Cube, very original). It spins. The story is that the president has to spin it every morning to start the school.

7. You probably can't go inside, but it's worth it to do a drive-by of the stadium. You can't really get an idea of its size from the outside, but it holds a LOT of people. Every parking lot around it, every golf course, every driveway for miles, will be filled with cars on game days.

8. In the downtown area you never know what you'll see. The stores are quirky. There's this gorilla that plays the violin (though probably not in February). If you look close, you'll find "fairy doors" hidden all over the place.

I could go on. I gave the best 8 years of my life to that town. I, my husband, my parents, his parents, and one of my SIL's are all alumni. So, I'm partial, of course, but you'd seriously be hard pressed to find a better all around school for your DS. Some schools have better academics, and some have better social/school life, but none have a mix as good as Michigan's. Ann Arbor is a great town.

Really? When I looked at the map it looked like Brighton was way closer to Ann Arbor than it was to Lansing. We are going to Michigan bc we are looking at some horses in Howell and Brighton was the closest hotel to Howell. I looked at staying in Ann Arbor (even though my son would of probably loved that, I ultimately decided on Brighton, lol). I am not much for staying in a city type of person. I am a suburb/country girl, lol. Plus I have a massive 2500 Dodge Ram pick up that I am driving so parking is definitely an issue when driving anywhere in a city lol. We live in NJ so whenever we have to go into Philly I have to either borrow my mom's car or rent a car for the day to go into the City bc I would never find parking for my truck lol. Same thing goes if we go into NY but with NY its a bit easier bc we can easily take a train into NY. When I bought my truck never thought about where I was going to have to park if I need to drive into the city, lol

Haha, there is a HUGE rivalry in MI when it comes to UofM and MSU.

You are correct....Brighton is MUCH closer to Ann Arbor than it is to Lansing.

GO BLUE!!!!!

As for UM, that is also DS16's dream school - he will be going there in 18 months! (I also went to UofM for undergrad, but to the Flint Campus) We have only ever been to the Ann Arbor campus for football-related activities (camps, clinics, games, etc), but will be making a trip out in the next 6 months or so to do an "official" campus tour. DS16 is very familiar with the campus already having gone there for several years for football camps and staying in the dorms for the week. The high school players are allowed to leave the dorms and wander on their own after camp is over for the day and DS16 fell in love with it.

Brighton hotels will be cheaper than Ann Arbor - I'm assuming you will be staying in the 96/Grand River area.

Ann Arbor is not really that big of a city when compared to Philly/NYC/Chicago/etc. Parking won't be as hard as it is in the big cities.

Everyone has had great ideas so far - Have fun! Brighton/Howell is really mostly rural - we lived 15min east of there off of I-96 for 10 years, and 25 min north off of US-23 for 8 years. Nice areas!

Last edited:
If he's dreaming of a veterinary career MSU is tops for that discipline.

Zingerman's is absolutely delicious, but the wait to get in and order is a serious time commitment in itself. I would count on at least a half hour in line.

Brighton is 45 minutes from East Lansing.

Just a note, Michigan begins Spring Break on Saturday the 25th of February through March 6th, you didn't say which weekend, but the University will be mostly closed then.

Well vet school is still 12 years off for a 10 year old. Ann Arbor is about 20-30 minutes or so away from Brighton and a nice side trip. Finding the fairy doors might be a fun activity. Just keep in mind that between Michigan and Michigan St., it is MSU that has the top notch vet School. East Lansing is about 45 minutes to an hour away from Brighton.

And when it comes time to start looking for a college about 6 years down the road, if he's still interested in being a vet, as long as he gets the required classes in, he can go anywhere for undergrad. Each vet school has its own requirements but obviously they will all be heavy in bio chem. And you'll find top notch vet schools in places that may not instantly come to mind. For example, You won't find the top vet school in the country at well known Stanford or UC Berkeley or USC or UCLA out west. You'll find it at UC Davis.

My DS is a senior at MSU majoring in horticulture and ag business, and his DGF is a senior at MSU majoring in animal science, so I will throw in my vote as MSU being a GREAT school for anything animal related. DS's interest in it was first sparked at about your son's age when he started attending summer camps for middle school (and then high schoolers) there.

Go Green!

Terri

Yes, yes....MSU has an excellent vet school. And an excellent education department, too. I can certainly agree to that. All the vets I know, and >50% of the teachers have MSU degrees.

And when I was 10 I wanted to be an architect.

WOW Thanks for all the feed back everyone! I have a very determined 10 year old, lol. He's been around horses since he was 4 days old and has been on a horse since before he could walk so he absolutely loves horses. He's in 4-H and loves every minute of it, but in September I signed him up for Equine Science/Horse Bowl and thats really when his infatuation began to take off. He loves learning about everything about the horse and all the parts and diseases and everything. When most 10 years olds are reading fiction novels about Harry Potter my 10 year old is reading Equine Science books about infectious diseases and intestinal worms, LOL. It really sounds like MSU is our best bet. We will be in MI looking at new horses for my son. His horse had to be retired in August due to a genetic disorder, but she's still a good trail horse, she just can't really be shown anymore. Anyways we will be in MI for 2 days so hopefully we will have all Sunday afternoon to walk around MSUs campus and see whats up. My son is looking forward to this trip so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter