Animal Kingdom on New Year's Eve?

kiapepito

DIS Veteran
Are we crazy to attempt AK on New Year's Eve? For those that have been on that day what was it like? Tips? Advice?

Are there special Christmas meet and greets with characters and/or entertainment?

Thank you!

AK used to be the quietest park on NYE (relatively speaking), but that was before Pandora opened this year.

Historically, AK closed on

8:30 in 2016
10:00 in 2015
10:00 in 2014
8:00 in 2013

Because of the early closing times, there was no celebration to ring in the New year at that park. Therefore, most people didn't go there, instead, opting to go to Epcot or MK, and, to a lesser extent, HS.

Now with Pandora open, it's been drawing more people into AK, and the hours have been extended to reflect that. Even with the summer extended hours where only Pandora was open, the crowds have been much higher this year than in years past.

What does this mean for NYE? We're not sure, yet. Right now, I have very little faith in the park hours for anything past October. On NYE, AK currently posts a closing time for 9:00, but will that go later? Probably.

As for Christmas activities, the decorations will still be up, but virtually all of the Christmas specific activities for all parks end on the 30th.

Because of the early closing times, there was no celebration to ring in the New year at that park.

You've got that backwards. There is no celebration to ring in the New year because of the stress it would cause to the animals. Because of that, the park has always been the least popular park on NYE, so there was no reason for it to stay open late

You've got that backwards. There is no celebration to ring in the New year because of the stress it would cause to the animals. Because of that, the park has always been the least popular park on NYE, so there was no reason for it to stay open late

True. I did think about that. I get really verbose on my posts, also, so I left it out for that reason.

Thank you everyone! We aren't big partiers.. lol... so a low key park with being able to leave at an early closing is perfect for us! I was able to book us ROL Tusker House for lunch and our favorite Yak and Yeti for dinner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter