Animal Kingdom Lodge question

rebeccam31

DIS Veteran
In Disney, we have always stayed in one of the resorts located on the monorail. Coming from that perspective, how frustrating would you think the bus-service-only (I realize that the AKL is sort of far from most of the action) transportation situation would be? We would be coming at a relatively low crowd time of year (but on a weekend) if that helps in assessing it. I have always wanted to stay in AKL and think the girls (two twelve year old animal lovers) would adore it, but I don't want to regret it due to super-long bus wait times. Please tell me I'm worrying unnecessarily. ;)

You are worrying unnecessarily. I've stayed at AKL on multiple occasions and the bus service has been fine; no better and no worse than any other resort I have stayed at. There may be long wait times for buses from time to time, but there are also times where the wait times are very short.

AKL is a bit out of the way and a longish way from everything else at WDW (except AK), but is well worth a visit. It's a beautiful resort, with great theming and amenities and your animal loving girls will really enjoy it.

AKL is amazing and the bus ride really is not that big of a deal. Just make sure you get Savannah view. We loved our stay last year at AKL.

Thanks to both of you! I figured I was being silly. We just only have 3 days, so I didn't want to spend most of it waiting in bus lines. But it sounds like that will not be the case. I am pretty decided on AKL. Thanks for validating that the savannah view will be worth paying for, too. I was thinking that was so.

The buses are really gd and the wait times are really not that bad... Keep in mind you said that you usually stay at monorail resorts and remember they are not as convienant or as cool as taking the Monorail to the MK or Epcot, but they are not something that would make me not stay at the AK... Like previous poster said make sure you get a savannah view rm, after all thats why your staying there..

I honestly feel like people make way too big a deal out of the bus rides. :confused3 I have not stayed at AKL, but on a few occassions we have gone there and then taken a bus ride back to various resorts. The ride is no longer than any other resort. At least there is no appreciable difference.

And really when it comes down to it, my family looks at it as free, pretty reliable transportation provided during the course of your vacation, to take the stress out of you having to navigate around an unfamiliar area, having to deal with traffic, parking, etc... And, with all of the issues that the monorail has, I would rather take a chance on the buses quite frankly! :rotfl2: At least when buses break down, another one can always be called in pretty quickly.

The AKL is truly a beautiful resort. I am honestly thinking about switching my CR reservation over to AKL, because we like the theme more and think it offers alot more for our kids.

I think you will be just fine at AKL. :goodvibes

I have always wanted to stay in AKL and think the girls (two twelve year old animal lovers) would adore it,

There is your answer.

It is my favorite resort. No it does not have a two minute monorail ride to the MK like Poly does. But where else do you eat breakfast on your balcony while watching Giraffes 30 feet away. The busses are pretty good and you really will not notice the extra ten minutes or so to get to MK.

It is truly an escape and it so beautiful that the wait for the bus is not big deal...It never really seems that bad at all..We never wait long at all at the parks before a bus is right there to pick us up...:thumbsup2

The resort bus stop is very convenient and easy. The only place that seems to take a while to get to is Downtown Disney...Allow 30 minutes for there.

We are back there again in October!! can' wait!:goodvibes

Enjoy!! The lobby is so amazing and Mara has great food options. We just love walking around the pool and visiting the Flamingos..There is nothing like it!

"I just realized this is my 2500 posts!!! Woot!!! " Love the DIS boards

In Disney, we have always stayed in one of the resorts located on the monorail. Coming from that perspective, how frustrating would you think the bus-service-only (I realize that the AKL is sort of far from most of the action) transportation situation would be? We would be coming at a relatively low crowd time of year (but on a weekend) if that helps in assessing it. I have always wanted to stay in AKL and think the girls (two twelve year old animal lovers) would adore it, but I don't want to regret it due to super-long bus wait times. Please tell me I'm worrying unnecessarily. ;)

As others have experienced during their stays, we thought the buses were fine as well. AKL is kind of out away from everything, but the buses only go to AKL and Kidani so there's no sharing with any other resort(s). We didn't find it to take more than about 5 extra minutes to get around compared to other resorts we've stayed at. I think your DD's will love it. Have a great trip......AKL is a beautiful resort and well worth a stay :wizard:.

We've stayed at AKL, Poly (twice) and ASMo. Of the 4 trips, AKL by far had the best bussing, IMO (followed by Poly then ASMo). I would not hesitate to stay there because of the busses.

I usually stay at one of the Epcot Resorts, so I'm used to being able to walk into Epcot or take a boat to DHS. So it did cross my mind that it would be different when I stayed at AKL for the first time last March. The bus system was fine. It's pretty much like any of the other buses, except you rarely have to share the route with any other resort (unlike the Epcot buses). The wait times for a bus to arrive weren't any shorter or longer than the buses to any other resort.

AKL itself is an amazing resort! Enjoy your stay!

I stayed at AKL in 2010 the week after Labor Day, one of the slowest times to go. I really LOVED AKL. It was beautiful, it really was. But honestly, the bus ride was 25 minutes at a MINIMUM. There was literally NO ONE at the parks! I have only ever been to WDW during the high seasons and I am telling you NO ONE was around! I didn't wait on any lines for attractions. So seeing that we went during the lowest season and the bus still took a long time... that worries me for any other time! Back then, we shared a bus w/ the villas [not sure if they still do], but they usually drop them off first. We had a bad experience being on a bus during a torrential downpour and the bus driver letting us off and not telling us where we were. Well, we were at the villas! We had to walk all the way back to OUR part of the lodge, which was pretty bad. If this doesn't bother you, I really do suggest staying there, as it was so incredibly beautiful. :love:

But honestly, the bus ride was 25 minutes at a MINIMUM.

The length of the ride doesn't really depend on the crowds. It's about 20-25 minutes or so on the bus to MK due to travel time (i.e., driving, stop lights, making turns, etc.). So that's something to keep in mind. It's kind of a trade off, the ride to MK is long, but the ride to AK is very short. The opposite is true for the MK resorts (short monorail to MK, but longer bus to AK).

For the route, yes, the buses drop off at Kidani first and then head to Jambo. DTD is the opposite (Jambo -> Kidani -> DTD).

The buses at AKL are fine. Since they do not share buses with other resorts, our experiences have been that the buses come often and we've never waited more than 15 - 20 minutes even during busy periods of the year. Both AKL and AKV are gorgeous and we actually like that it's farther away from the parks for its quietness. You'll like staying there.

But honestly, the bus ride was 25 minutes at a MINIMUM.

Unless you get stauck in bad traffice, it's not 25+ minutes via bus from AKL to any of the parks. I've stayed there on multiple occasions. I've recorded the travel time via bus to/from all the parks many times and it generally goes as follows:

To/from MK: 18 - 21 minutes
To/from DHS: 11 - 14 minutes
To/from Epcot: 12 - 15 minutes
To/from AK: 3 - 5 minutes

This is travel time only and does not take into account wait time for the buses.

Unless you get stauck in bad traffice, it's not 25+ minutes via bus from AKL to any of the parks. I've stayed there on multiple occasions. I've recorded the travel time via bus to/from all the parks many times and it generally goes as follows:

To/from MK: 18 - 21 minutes
To/from DHS: 11 - 14 minutes
To/from Epcot: 12 - 15 minutes
To/from AK: 3 - 5 minutes

This is travel time only and does not take into account wait time for the buses.

This is exactly what we found on our stay at Kidani too!

We bought into AKV DVC sight unseen because of the animals. Our kids love the animals and we all enjoy sitting on the balcony just watching the critters. I end up getting up around/before dawn and enjoy sitting outside listening to the animals waking up.

The bus rides have never been a problem for us and we have been at WDWW during slow and busy times. If you are at a monorail resort, you have a long trip to AK just as much as it is a long trip to MK from AKL. Six, half a dozen the other. I never see people complain about going from CR to AK but the trip time would be about the same to go from AKL to MK.

From a distance point of view and the time it takes to get from a resort to a park, the EPCOT resorts would be best if travel time was important since those resorts are about halfway to MK and AK. Travel time between resort to park has just not been an issue for us.

Later,
Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter