• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"And of course, these little beauties"...Two chicks hit the World July 2012 w/pics

alexxussss

Mouseketeer
Day 1: Arrival and Downtown Disney

Day 2: Magic Kingdom: There's a Hidden Mickey in My Burrito!

We got to the Ticket and Transportation Center around 8:15 am. I was all ready to hear my favorite monorail announcements, when I see a rope blocking the entrance to the monorail! There was a cast member there directing everyone to the ferry! Whaaaaatttt?!? In all of my many trips to Disney, I've never taken the ferry because (1) I need to hear the monorail guy and (2) I am way too excited to wait for the slower-speed of the ferry. The monorail gets me there lickety-split! Alas, I had no choice. Fortunately, it wasn't as slow as I expected (it took maybe 15-20 minutes) and it was fun to experience something different, but it was certainly no monorail!

While waiting for the opening, I noticed this plaque for the first time and fell in love...doesn't it just say it all?
f3780e8e.png

I had read some posts about the parks opening a few minutes early some days, but not today. :sad1: That's okay, we're at Magic Kingdom!!!
4c5b3daa.jpg

We went on a lot of rides all before 12:30:

• Big Thunder x3
  • the new Dumbo with a fp
  • Aladdin Magic Carpets (I just love that squirting camel!)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Splash Mt
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Peter Pan
  • the Barnstormer

While the new 'double' Dumbo area is cool, is it just me or is it strange not having it right near the Carousel and Castle?
c44819ec.jpg

It was so hot, I just wanted to dip my feet in the pretty little fountains at the bottom!
f06e7386.jpg

I love how they did this!
853fee23.jpg

We also enjoyed exploring (and getting drenched!) in the new Casey Jr. splash area.
d0696932.jpg

4c456fe3.jpg

2f2b1dd2.jpg

At first there were just kids getting wet, but as the day went on and the temperature rose, it was just as crowded with adults!

Tip: One of the advantages of visiting during a busier time of year is that all the 'seasonal' restaurants are (usually) open! For example, the Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace was open, which I'd never seen, and Tortuga Tavern (yay!). Be sure to check the schedule, however, because they may have special hours; Tortuga Tavern is only open from 11 am-3 pm.

We ate lunch in Tortuga Tavern and look what I found in my vegetarian burrito! A HIDDEN MICKEY!!! I love you, Disney. :love:
26b1a7ed.jpg

In Adventureland, I spotted these:
5f968b1e.jpg

I'll take one of each, please!

Next, we decided to become recruits!
c30d9058.jpg

3853594b.jpg

We got our very first pack of Sorcerer cards and enjoyed playing in Frontierland (me) and Main Street (my mom).
3d761708.jpg

cb53b38c.jpg

We went on Splash Mt. again (fp) and then..."There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow..." time for the Carousel of Progress! Definitely a classic.
66f8b5f9.jpg

We were shocked to find it pouring rain when we went outside; the sky was blue and showed no signs of rain, but that's pretty typical this time of year. It was raining so hard, everyone in Tomorrowland just squeezed under any kind of cover they could find. After about 20-30 minutes, it stopped and the sun came back out. Within an hour or so, you couldn't even tell it had rained!

We rode one of my favorites, the People Mover, but I am still so sad that they changed the announcer. "Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders..." oh I miss him. :sad2:

We rode Buzz Lightyear and I got a perfect score...if only I were that good on Toy Story Mania!
e3736732.jpg

We shopped on Main Street and went in the Confectionery. Ooooo....ahhhhh....
893be615.jpg

Apple pie coated caramel apple (why didn't I buy this?!)
ea536e37.jpg

I love these apothecary jars!
9cd7a9ea.jpg

f3120b93.jpg

Finally, we went to Pinocchio's to try the caprese flatbread. Mmmmm!
74ecc9ea.jpg

It was about 7:30 pm and we decided to have an early night back at the hotel.

Next stop...Blizzard Beach! :)

Mmmm that flatbread looks delicious! It sounds like you and your mom got a lot done in MK for it being July. I can't wait to read more about your trip! :thumbsup2

I love all your pictures!!! I can't wait top see and hear about Blizzard Beach. I have been reading TR's for a while now, and have seen NO pics of the water parks! Can't wait for your next post!

Sounds like you guys had an amazing 1st day! :thumbsup2

that caprese flatbread looks amazing. your first day sounds so much fun-i hope the rest of your trip went as well. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter