An end to tipping?

Do you support an end to "required" tipping?

• Yes

• No

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
OK, I'm putting on my flame suit.

In my OPINION, restaurants, hair salons, valet parking, etc should raise the pay of the workers to at least minimum wage, raise the cost of the services to their customers to pay for that increase, and truly make tipping optional.

Yes, people might say tipping is optional now, but do you really believe that? Look at all the threads that say "if you can't afford a tip, don't go out".

Another argument I head is "tips ensure good service". Really? :confused3 I try my hardest at work, not because of a possible end of year bonus, but because I WANT to do a good job. If I don't get the bonus does my work suffer? No.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against tipping. I'm against tipping for "standard" service. OK, waiter, you greeted me, took my order, filled it correctly, waited some time, then presented me with the check. Isn't that your JOB?

Again, in my opinion, tips should be reserved for going "above and beyond" your standard job duties. Do I think this will ever really happen? No. But I wonder if other people agree with me.

For those of you who don't... flame away.

Yesterday, my wife and I dined in a lovely restaurant, had a lovely meal, and had absolutely wonderful service. We tipped well above the standard 15-20%. Why? Because of everything I listed above.

I disagree that tipping should be reserved for only a job where someone goes above and beyond what you expect. What is above and beyond?

I tip because I appreciate those people that work in the service industry. I tip because the jobs are tough. I tip because I understand how the service industry works. I tip because I appreciate good service and a job well done.

If dining establishments, etc. were to raise their workers' pay, that cost would be passed on to us, the customer. Regardless, you're paying this cost. If you have the option to tip over paying increased prices for food or a specific service, the "extra cost" has been handed to you for you to decide the amount. Sounds like we're coming out ahead. :confused3

I also don't think tips ensure good service. I think good servers ensure good service, and for that, they should be compensated well.

I'm on the fence. A good argument can be made either way, but I think the best is that any worker should get a fair wage for doing a good job with tips as a reward for doing an exceptional job. Some argument can be made that automatic or required tipping can be counter-productive.

There are countries where tipping is not expected.

Yesterday, my wife and I dined in a lovely restaurant, had a lovely meal, and had absolutely wonderful service. We tipped well above the standard 15-20%. Why? Because of everything I listed above.

I disagree that tipping should be reserved for only a job where someone goes above and beyond what you expect. What is above and beyond?

I tip because I appreciate those people that work in the service industry. I tip because the jobs are tough. I tip because I understand how the service industry works. I tip because I appreciate good service and a job well done.

If dining establishments, etc. were to raise their workers' pay, that cost would be passed on to us, the customer. Regardless, you're paying this cost. If you have the option to tip over paying increased prices for food or a specific service, the "extra cost" has been handed to you for you to decide the amount. Sounds like we're coming out ahead. :confused3

I also don't think tips ensure good service. I think good servers ensure good service, and for that, they should be compensated well.

Agreed! Well said!

:thumbsup2

I'm the one person (so far) who voted other, because it doesn't matter whether I support it or not. For a variety of reasons it's not going away, so unless you're going to be like Mr. Pink in "Reservoir Dogs" and not tip on principle, the question's moot.

The problem now is that tipping, while "optional" legally, isn't really from a community (for lack of a better term) standpoint. Again, look at the posts that say "if you can't afford to tip, don't go out". Isn't that basically saying a tip is required?

Keep in mind, I'm not saying tipping should be outlawed, but simply that it should truly be optional. You got the service you wanted, tip away.

Plenty of jobs are tough... firefighters, policemen, steelworkers, highway maintenance, etc. Somehow those industries find employees without having to say "you'll get so much money through tips".

And I agree good servers should be compensated well. I just think their level of compensation should be determined by their employer. If you want to give them some extra, go for it.

IN MY OPINION, even if they raised the wages of these service positions and made tipping "optional", tipping would still be expected, many would still tip, and all it would serve to do is end up costing the customer more.

I'm the one person (so far) who voted other, because it doesn't matter whether I support it or not. For a variety of reasons it's not going away, so unless you're going to be like Mr. Pink in "Reservoir Dogs" and not tip on principle, the question's moot.
I know tipping's not going away. I just thought it would be a good discussion, and I wanted to know if I was the only one who thought like this.

I've lived overseas where tipping is not done and waiters make a decent wage. I much preferred it. Not because I don't like to tip, I just like to have the restaurant charge what the meal costs to include all the people that serve the meal.

I'm on the fence. If restaurants have to pay their employee's more then they'd most likely raise the prices on their menu. It may only be a dollar or two per item but the price would go up.

On one hand I hear people say pay people minimum wage so tipping can be optional and then when you swap to that, people say - I don't need to tip them, they're already making minimum wage. (perfect example being housekeepers at Disney).
Personally, I side with the group of if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out, and I can't understand why the thought of tipping bothers people. Historically and traditionally it's the custom here in the US. So suck it up, and leave a tip. To do otherwise, is just plain cheap. If you think the service is so horrible to not warrant a tip, you let the manager know, and you don't go back.

Yes, wholeheartedly.

Pay people what they are worth. Yes, that will increase the cost of food.... but the tipping situation is ridiculous.

And it doesn't even make sense. A friend and I went out to dinner last night. We would have received the same service if we had both ordered the cheapest thing on the menu or the most expensive thing. But our tip is supposed to be a percentage of the total? Idiotic.

Every day we (hopefully) encounter workers who are doing a great job, and we aren't expected to tip them (and in some cases, we aren't even allowed to tip them).

I think it is optional. Except when I go out to eat, I'm tipping unless the service was absolutely horrible.

Not every client tips me when I cut their hair. Most do, some do not. Some will tip and bring me something---I've been given lunch, GCs, Starbucks, treats, dinner, lol. Heck, I've been given a box of treats for my dog! lol

Tips aren't necessary in my business. And people on the DIS are HUGE tippers, lol.

The problem now is that tipping, while "optional" legally, isn't really from a community (for lack of a better term) standpoint. Again, look at the posts that say "if you can't afford to tip, don't go out". Isn't that basically saying a tip is required?

I suppose I don't really bother with the reasons others tip and what others say. I tip for the reasons I outlined above. And quite simply, it baffles me that there are those who disagree with compensation for those in the service industry.

Firemen, police officers, and the like are salaried employees. Those in the service industry are not.

And for what it's worth, after a particularly bad car accident, I sent the firemen who helped my son and I a thank you note. Why? Because I appreciated the service and help they provided to us. That's the same reason I tip.

Firemen, police officers, and the like are salaried employees. Those in the service industry are not.

Not all non-food workers are salaried.

The person working at Wal-Mart who you stopped on his way to the breakroom to find an item that's clear across the store for you is not salaried.

The bank teller who realizes that the reason you want to withdraw your money is because you're being scammed is not salaried.

The preschool teacher who spends hours of her own evening and money to make the experience wonderful for your child may be salaried, but she's probably not pulling in much more than minimum wage.

The mechanic who's working on your car and could easily sell you the widget that you don't really need because he knows you know nothing about cars may or may not be salaried... but he just made your life easier.

The person in the bookstore who finds your book for you even though the only thing he had to go on was that the author's first name was John isn't salaried.

THAT is why I hate tipping. There are so many people I encounter on a daily basis who go above and beyond... we don't tip those people.

I'm on the fence. If restaurants have to pay their employee's more then they'd most likely raise the prices on their menu. It may only be a dollar or two per item but the price would go up.

Of course the price will go up. And not just a dollar or two. It will go up 20%, which they will turn around and give the server. So your still in the same place expense wise.

I suppose I don't really bother with the reasons others tip and what others say. I tip for the reasons I outlined above. And quite simply, it baffles me that there are those who disagree with compensation for those in the service industry.

And for what it's worth, after a particularly bad car accident, I sent the firemen who helped my son and I a thank you note. Why? Because I appreciated the service and help they provided to us. That's the same reason I tip.

My DH is a FF/paramedic. He has received many a note and phone call. Years ago, he helped a little girl who was about 9yo in a car accident. She was very aware of everything going on and scared and hurt. He stayed right with her. Even as a little girl she had this huge heart and was so thankful. She remembered his nametag and sent him a note from the hospital. After she was released her mom called and asked if there was anyway that we could come to their house and see her--she had a gift for him. (so sweet)

We rode quite a ways out into the country, went into a trailer that was nothing fancy but filled with love and she gave him his *gift* of a huge box of frozen sausage! lol I believe she called the firehall and talked to the FF and they told her how much he liked cooking breakfast for the other FFs at the firehall. :laughing::lovestruc It was so sweet and so unexpected. Let me tell you--that little girl was so very proud of being able to give him that box of sausage!
Years later, he saw her at a HS football game and she knew him right away. She introduced him to her friends as "the man who saved my life." She was never that hurt but to her, that's what he did.

Showing your appreciation should come from the heart, not because you feel like you have to.

Let me also point out I find it strange that we are expected (and if you don't believe a tip is EXPECTED I don't know what to say) to tip a waiter, but not the fast food (or CS at Disney) worker. They are doing the same thing, taking your order and filling it correctly.

Let me also point out I find it strange that we are expected (and if you don't believe a tip is EXPECTED I don't know what to say) to tip a waiter, but not the fast food (or CS at Disney) worker. They are doing the same thing, taking your order and filling it correctly.

Yes, you are expected to leave a tip at a sit down restaurant and not a counter service restaurant. Though many counter service places have a tip jar, so there you get your wish. Someone getting you food for minimum wage, but the tip is truly optional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter