An Asian Disney & Universal Adventure - A January 2017 Pre-Trip Report includes Shanghai Disneyland

Finally made it over to your PTR :thumbsup2

I grew up in Perth, but moved across the country when I was 24 to be with the love of my life (now my DH, so good move lol!). Funnily enough, I also used to do ballroom dancing over there. We now live in Melbourne with our four beautiful fur babies and like to visit Disney locations around the world as part of other holidays. Perth may be the most isolated capital city in the world, but it's a lot closer to Asia than Melbourne is!

We have also discovered the awesomeness of flying business class on points. We got that great Velocity bonus points offer too! We're happy to fly economy during the day, but always try to fly business on overnight flights. Unfortunately for my solo Shanghai trip I will be flying overnight in economy both ways :crazy2:

Because my DH has his own business, we can only get away for a week or two at a time. I'm so jealous of people who go away for 4-6 weeks or more at a time! Your trip sounds amazing :goodvibes

Glad you found the report :) My family did the move the opposite way - we moved from Melbourne to Perth when I was young (3 years old actually) but we get back to Melbourne regularly to visit family :) I think if I had to live in any other city in Australia it would be Melbourne (and yes, I actually like the weather!). You are absolutely correct about Asia being more convenient for us though. But more South East Asia than countries like China and Japan. We used to be able to fly direct to Japan (and it was a 10 hour flight, about the same as the flight from Melbourne) but now you can only fly through Singapore, which means a total of 12 hours flying, plus whatever stop over you have in Singapore. Of course, as we are going to Singapore first we only have the 5 hour flight from Perth - which is absolutely awesome and I'm so excited to have a similar flight time to when we travel over East for a big holiday!

I'm glad you are aware of the awesomeness of Business Class and the sneaky ways of getting more points to do it, and I totally agree it's way more worth it for an overnight flight. I would say it will always be worth it to LA as well because of the length of the flight and the time difference, you always end up needing sleep on the flight. Our BC flights to Singapore are probably not the most productive use of BC points (only 5 hours, during the day) but there is something about starting of your trip on a Business flight we've really come to love (we can handle connecting flights economy but like to start and end the trip in Business). On the way home from Japan it will be really worth it because it's 12 plus hours of flying and it's overnight too.

Hopefully one day if your DH's business takes off (and he has lots of staff) you could get away for longer :) - I do really enjoy travelling for 4 weeks or so because it really feels like it makes going all that way worth it. I guess if all I could manage was a week or so I'd still happily do it because I love to travel! It would make it cheaper too. Still I'm supremely grateful Jared and I are in the position to be able to travel the way we do and try to remember never to take it for granted :)

I never thought about an Aulani type resort - a theme park probably wouldn't be profitable but a resort which much less overhead could be! I'd imagine it would go somewhere on the Gold Coast (which is our cross between Hawaii - tropical islands and further north rainforests and Miami - a city strip on the beach) .. Also just wanted to say I LOVE Hawaii - it must be wonderful to live there - such a beautiful and unique place
Since I was born and lived in Hawaii all my life, I just don't see that it's that special a place. However, I do admit, it's a nice place to live, if you like mild weather year round, and if you're an a beach or outdoors type of person. I always thought Australia would be similar to Hawaii, except you all have the cute koala bears and kangaroos!

Since I was born and lived in Hawaii all my life, I just don't see that it's that special a place. However, I do admit, it's a nice place to live, if you like mild weather year round, and if you're an a beach or outdoors type of person. I always thought Australia would be similar to Hawaii, except you all have the cute koala bears and kangaroos!

Australia is generally dryer and less mountainous than Hawaii I think (though we have everything from rainforests, to desserts, to beaches, to farmland and Australian bush and swamp lands too), and Hawaii is a lot more tropical (though of course I'd say Hawaii is a little bit like the tropical part of Northern Queensland on Australia's east coast). But Hawaii has gorgeous stunning mountains and sweeping vistas which Australia doesn't really have (we have mountains but nothing like what Hawaii has). Hawaii i found fascinating in that it's landscapes could change so quickly, and where you might have rainforest 5 minutes later you might have a beach comb area or a mountainous range! It was fascinating how quickly the landscapes changed around you :)

We don't really have mild weather all year round either, unfortunately! A lot of Australia's middle to Northern regions are tropical, and have wet summer like Florida, with lots of tropical storms. Cities like Melbourne and Sydney are quiet cold during the winters (though not the kind of cold you get in snowy regions) and Perth, where I live has horridly HOT and humid summer and we get quiet frequent thunder storms too (we also regularly have weeks of 110 degree weather from December - March). Generally though Australia's climate is never too cold, although it can get awfully hot. Hawaii just seems to have the nice not too hot not too cold weather down all year round :)

I actually saw a Kangaroo last night - where we live we are close to the Perth hills area and we have a lot of bushland and a lot of Kangaroos hop about around the bush. Unfortunately they are considered a bit of a pest here in Australia, and can be very dangerous to drivers in country areas. Still I think they are very cute too (I had a wild one hop up and nuzzle into me once, that was pretty special). We don't really have a lot of Koala's here in Perth (I've never actually seen one in the wild) but my mum did see one in the Adelaide Hills once when we lived in Adelaide. You're more likely to see a Kangaroo in the wild than a Koala though :)

Sorry if my environmental thoughts on Australia are off topic - I like talking about my country though - it is a very wonderful place to live :)

Tokyo Planning

Hotels
There are two parts to our Tokyo trip, our visit to the Tokyo Disney Resort and site seeing in Tokyo itself. As the Tokyo Disney Resort is approx. 1.5 hours’ drive from the main city areas like Shinjuku it doesn’t make any sense to stay in the city and take public transport out to the resort if you are spending 4 full days there. Tokyo Disney resort is very big, very popular and demands a lot of time, so we want to be based there, as on our last trip, to remain in our Disney bubble during our Tokyo Disney visit. I’ll talk more about the Tokyo Disney hotels we plan to stay at in a minute, but for now go into a little about the Tokyo hotels we plan to stay at.

I’ll start with our final hotel in Tokyo. For those of you who are unaware Narita Airport, Tokyo’s main international terminal, is about a 2 hour drive/public transport ride from Tokyo city area so on our last trip we booked into an airport hotel on our last night before our flight the next day, and we plan to do the same thing on this trip. It makes sense as it means you don’t tack on another 2 hours sitting on top of an 8 hour flight to Singapore. Of course as our flight is the next evening it may seem counterproductive to waste what could have been a half day of touring in Tokyo, but we will probably be so exhausted by this point a restful morning sounds great, and we have access to the Singapore Airlines lounge at Tokyo Airport, so while we are waiting we will be very comfortable (and hopefully editing some of those great photos I’m sure Jared will have taken so we can show you all :)). The hotel we’ve picked at Narita is the same one we stayed in last time, the Tokyo Hilton Narita Airport. Honestly I don’t remember much about this hotel, the last trip we were flying from Tokyo to Orlando (through LA) and our night at the Tokyo Hilton Narita is a bit lost in that giant travel burr that is known as jetlag (and 2 full days of travelling). I’m sure like most airport hotels it will be comfortable, and that’s all you need for an airport hotel.

In Tokyo proper we are planning to stay at the Tokyo Hilton Shinjuku. If you are planning to visit Tokyo for the first time I highly recommend staying in the Shinjuku area. It’s the entertainment district of Tokyo, near to Tokyo largest train station and you can easily get to any of the tourist sites on Tokyo’s awesome metro (subway) system. We stayed at the Tokyo Hilton Shinjuku on our last trip and LOVED it. This time around, it seems to be a lot more expensive than our last trip, but given our savings in accommodation in other cities we have decided to spend the money, especially as we know the area and the hotel and know that both will suit our touring needs.

Siteseeing
Before we get into our site seeing plans I thought here might be a great place to talk about our experience with Tokyo’s metro subway system. It’s super easy to use and can get you anywhere in Tokyo proper. I wrote this description in my last trip report after our visit to Tokyo which pretty much sums up how to use the metro:

Simply remember the letter (line), colour (line) and stop number (platform) of the train station you needed to get to. Find that colour and letter on a sign, follow the signs to that platform and hop on the side of the line which is going towards your stop number. It really is that simple. There is plenty of signage to point you in the right direction. There are even arrows on the platforms indicating which stop is next from that side of the platform (i.e. if your station is 12, 11 will be one way and 13 will be the other. So, if for example, you were going to 17 you’d know to get on the train going towards stop 13 as that way the numbers are going up, whereas if you were going to 8 you’d know to get on the side going towards 11, where the numbers are going down etc). As there are so many lines and stops you really do need to know which line (colour/letter) and platform (number) one you were headed to and where or how you needed to transfer to a new line

The subway even had signs (in English no less) pointing out tourist spots, government offices and buildings and hotels close to each subway platform!

On our last trip to Tokyo we visited the following sites; Kamakura, Senso-Ji Temple, the Edo-Tokyo Museum, Rikugien Garden, Ginza shopping district and the Robot Restaurant in Shinjuku. All of these places we visited on our last trip (bar Kamakura and the more local Rikugien Garden) are all major tourist destinations, but, for the most part, are the kind of places you only need to visit once. Still, on our last trip we didn’t get time to do a number of the ‘major’ touristy things in and around Tokyo so those things are on our list for this trip. This includes a day trip to Hakone and the famous Mt Fuji, visiting Shibuya Crossing (the famous crosswalks/square that’s the Japanese answer to Times Square) and visiting the Tokyo Skytree, the Meiji Shrine and possibly the Tokyo Imperial Palace. The Senso-Ji and Meiji Shrines are probably the biggest and most popular in Tokyo, but we only had time to visit one last time around, so we choose Senso-Ji (on Culture Day no less, never have I experienced such crowds!). We also only got time to tour half the Edo-Tokyo Museum, which is a great museum which has two sections, one showing the history of the Edo period of Tokyo from the mid 1600s to mid 1800s and one showing the modern Tokyo period from the mid 1800s to recent. We would love to go back and see the parts of that museum we missed, time allowing. In addition to these very touristy activities we want to visit the Owl Café, which one of those ‘only in Japan’ type places where you can visit with owls for an hour or so. We also can’t pass up another opportunity to see the Robot Restaurant show again (which has apparently changed a bit since our last visit).

We aren’t much for shopping so probably won’t bother visiting Ginza again, the only shopping destination that may end up on our list is Akihabara, because it would satisfy Jared’s inner geek to see so many electronics together in one place.

Our tour to Hakone and Mt Fuji will be with the amazing touring company I discovered on our last trip, the Backstreet Guides to Tokyo. As I said in my Kyoto Siteseeing section, this guys know Tokyo and surrounding areas so well, are amazing guides and provide wonderful information (in English) on the local culture and sites because they are locals! I can not recommend them highly enough and they offer lots of tours in and around Tokyo and in Kyoto.

Tokyo Disney Resort Planning
Ok first up, hotels. For those of you who don't know there are 3 official onsite Disney hotels at the Tokyo Disney Resort. The Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, The Miracosta Hotel and the Ambassador Hotel. There are also about 6 unofficial onsite hotels, which are much cheaper than Disney's official ones. We LOVED staying at one of Disney's Official Hotel, the Miracosta, on our last trip. To say it was opulent, beautiful and divine would be an understatement. We had 4 different rooms with 4 different views on our last trip (due to the difficulties we had getting a Porto Paradise Harbour View Room) so we were able to look out onto different views of the Piazza, the harbour and the Venice side of the park. Having a Harbour View room on the one night we managed to get it (they are VERY popular and VERY in demand so we only managed to score the room for 1 night out of the 4 we stayed in the resort) was wonderful. Looking out over the beautiful Disney Seas park was like a dream come true (check out the pictures of our views below). It is expensive but if you have the budget for it it’s totally worth it.

DSCN5354_zpse48a5fc1.jpg

(sorry about the quality of the pictures - they were taken before we had our good camera - we are hoping to get better shots this time around!)

This trip, we decided to split our stay between the Miracosta and the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, which we’d admired on our last trip but not visited. This way, we can enjoy a Harbour View (hopefully) and the beautiful Tokyo Disneyland Hotel architecture and will hopefully have less room switching than on our last trip (one switch rather than 4). The Toyko Disneyland Hotel rooms are also cheaper than the Harbour View room at the Miracosta , which is another reason why we decided to split our visit between both hotels.

Of course this all depends on our ability to actually get that covered Harbour View room at the Miracosta on the night we want it. Certain popular rooms at the Tokyo Disney Resort hotels (including all rooms on the Porto Paradiso side of the Miracosta Hotel) can only be booked exactly 6 months before the date of your stay. Also if you are staying for multiple days you have to book each day one at a time as that 6 month window opens up. We will be on the website as it opens (9am Tokyo time which is 8am Perth time) in July, 6 months out from our trip dates, for each of the 4 nights, in order to try secure the rooms we want.

In order to spend a full 4 days in the parks we decided we would need to spend a 5th night at the resort, but we didn't want to spend the money for another night at one of the Disney official hotels so we are moving to one of the unofficial onsite hotels, the Hilton Tokyo Bay Hotel. This hotel is very reasonably priced and can be accessed from the Tokyo Disney resort monorail line and is at least half the cost of the official onsite hotels. We are glad we are doing this, so we can spend a full evening in the parks taking pictures and not have to worry about travelling 2 hours after the close of the parks into the city that same night.

The Tokyo Disney Resort is a little like Walt Disney World, in that it requires a lot of thought and planning to tour well. Not in the sense that you have to make a ridiculous number of reservations 180 days and then 60 days out from your visit, but in the sense that you have to understand how to tour what is arguably one of the busiest Disney theme parks in the world successfully, and find ways to one up the Japanese who are ALL savy in the art of Fastpass, arriving early and are will willingly wait in lines for hours for certain attractions. On our last trip in November 2013, we visited at a fairly moderate time of year for crowds, and EVERY attraction generally had waits between 1.5 – 2 hours after about an 1 hour of the park being opened. All guests knew how to make the most of Fastpass and as a result they were mostly sold out after 1-2pm and I swear that the majority of the guests visiting each day always showed up 30 minutes – 1 hour before park opening and RAN to their first attraction. You may think, that sounds awful, BUT we managed to beat the crowds every day on our last visit by doing a few simple things:

· Staying at an official onsite Disney hotel. They are expensive, and they aren’t for everyone, but they do allow you to enter the parks 15-20 minutes earlier than the regular guests and be held at a rope drop (FYI, regular guests to Tokyo Disney not staying onsite have no rope drop, they just open the gates and people run!). Being inside the park when the ‘running of the Japanese Disney tourists’ begins allows you to avoid that mess and beat all those people to your first Fastpass and attraction for the day

· Using Fastpass efficiently and effectively. We would get a Fastpass first thing in the morning each day, and as soon as we were able to get another we did, and then as soon as we were able to get another after that we did. In doing this we’d be able to skip lines at 3-4 attractions and not risk Fastpasses running out before we had made our best use of them. The Japanese KNOW how to use the Fastpasse system, and they do, so you have to be as aggressive as they are with it!

· Using the Single Rider Lines. Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones – the Temple of the Crystal Skull and Raging Spirits have single rider lines and the Japanese DO NOT seem to use them (at least that was our experience). We walked onto both Splash and Indy when the waits were 70-80 minutes in the late afternoon.

· Having a plan. Know which attractions are your priorities for Fastpass each day (for example, we knew our first FP priority at Tokyo Disneyland was Pooh’s Hunny Hunt, followed by Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek – as they are original attractions for Tokyo Disney) so we prioritised those as our first Fastpasses on our two days visiting Tokyo Disneyland. We then had second and third prioritise for each day as well. Use Fastpasses for those unique attractions you can’t find at any other Disney resort and over at Tokyo Disney Seas, skip Toy Story Mania (it’s the same as in the US and all the Japanese visitors rush to it first thing, so if you are happy to skip it because you’ve done it before you can use your Fastpass options for more unique attractions like Journey to the Centre of the Earth or Tokyo Disney’s VASTLY different Tower of Terror or it’s much superior Indiana Jones ride).​

Our visit in January we will be going at a much quieter time of year according to my trusty Tokyo Disney Crowd Calendar which you can find here.
(FYI the website is in Japanese but if you translate the page to English you get a fairly good Idea about whats going on - for those of you interested here is how you read the ride the wait time estimate pop ups for each park (from left to right):
Tokyo Disneyland:
Monsters Inc - Hunny Hunt - Splash Mtn - Big Thunder - Buzz - Space Mtn - Haunted Mansion
Tokyo Disney Seas:
Toy Story Mania - Tower of Terror - JTTCOTE - Indiana Jones - 20,000 Leagues - Raging Spirits - Storm Rider
Still, we want to have a plan in order to make sure we don’t have to wait in lines at all, so we are making use of all of the tricks we used last time to make sure we are ahead of the crowds again.

Other Tokyo and Tokyo Disney Resort Planning Update

Last edited:
Sidebar – The Long Countdown to Disney! - Part 1

So today I am in one of those ‘I just want to be at Disney, and if I can’t be at Disney life is not worth living’ moods! I think it’s all the Walt Disney World ‘awaken summer’ ads we’ve been seeing on our streaming service! I am reading another wonderful trip report at the moment entitled ‘Adulting is hard, so I’m running away – to Disney World’ and that is so what i feel like doing right now (I wonder if any of you can relate!). Anyway, to get my out of my ‘I’m not at Disney’ funk I was looking over pictures from our last trip, and then I thought, hey I’ll share them with you all too, just in case you are all feeling the same ‘not at Disney’ blues! 272 days and counting until we leave for our Asian Disney Adventure (and 191 days until I start my long service leave- 13 weeks off – wohoo!)

We start our ‘I want to be at Disney (or in this case Universal) at Universal Studios Florida in Diagon Alley

And quickly head out to London

https://flic.kr/p/BjyuYm
And then over to Hogsmeade and the very beautiful Hogwarts Castle

But – I am REALLY missing Disney after all so let start at the Magic Kingdom.

Could really use a bit of the grey stuff right now! YUM

We are also going to try improve our Dark Ride photography technique so we can get better focused shots on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in Shanghai!

Also, is there anything better than night-time in a Disneyland style castle park (it really doesn’t matter which one, night makes the park MAGICAL!) – obviously these next shots are at the Magic Kingdom

And now we hope over to EPCOT. I’ll admit, EPCOT is the park we’ve probably spent the least time in, photography wise. There are so many gorgeous things to photograph so I don’t know why that is. I’m sure the next time we head to EPCOT (don’t know when that’s going to be which makes me sad!) we will focus on getting some better shots!

Ah, Disney’s Hollywood Studios – the weakest of the 4 Disney World parks, I think we might have to hold off any future visits to Disney World until Star Wars Land and Toy Story Playland are done, I think those areas will be HUGE improvements to the park! Still there’s lots to love about Hollywood Studios, especially the Sci-Fi Dine in Theatre, the Tower of Terror at Star Tours! And let’s not forget the Fantasmic (while arguably better at Disneyland at least you can always get seating at Hollywood Studios). And the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights was fun while it lasted.

Last edited:
Sidebar – The Long Countdown to Disney! - Part 2

Ok so continuing on my virtual tour through Disney World (because I wish I was ACTUALLY touring Disney World) we get to Animal Kingdom.

My favourite thing about Animal Kingdom is the beautiful attention to detail EVERYWHERE. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about Avatarland and the addition of more attractions, but I don’t think Animal Kingdom NEEDS attractions, it’s the kind of place you are supposed to amble through and soak up! So let’s do that shall we….

Let’s start with the animals J

I love Kilimanjaro Safari’s – it’s such a unique Theme Park attraction

We also love Flights of Wonder – it’s informative and funny!

The details on the Tree of Life are spectacular aren’t they!

And of course I LOVE the Festival of the Lion King show – very excited to see Hong Kong’s version of this, apparently it’s superior to it’s Animal Kingdom counterpart.

On our last trip to Disney World we stayed at the beautiful Animal Kingdom Lodge – our first Deluxe Resort experience J

Now we get to my favourite Disney park, the original Disneyland! These next lot of photos were taken at the beginning of March on our last visit, and let me say spring is my new FAVOURITE time of year at Disneyland. The beginning of March was great as well, as crowds were super light and those GORGEOUS pink cherry blossoms were out in full bloom!

Chim-Chimeny Chim Chim Cha-roo!

I actually took this photo! I was super proud of myself!

We also attempted a few dark ride shots at Disneyland and were somewhat successful (you really need a good quality camera and lense to do this!)

If you think the Magic Kingdom at night was beautiful…..

We never had the opportunity at either the Magic Kingdom or Disneyland to stay long after closing and get an empty Main Street picture (Magic Kingdom was open too late and there were annual passholder events at Disneyland!). We are really looking forward to having a go at that on our Asia trip.

https://flic.kr/p/AwSyvn

https://flic.kr/p/BjAJCG

Last edited:
Sidebar – The Long Countdown to Disney! - Part 3

I hope you are enjoying my trip down memory lane of all the Disney and Universal parks we visited on our last Disney trip in February 2015. I am less angst about the 272 wait until we are on our way to our next Disney trip after looking at those photos, so if you are counting down the days to your next Disney trip I hope you get the same kind of pleasure looking at them all.

Now to California Adventure, this park has improved leaps and bounds and is one of the most beautiful of Disney’s theme parks now.

A quick jaunt through some of the attractions at the park…

And into my favourite part of the park, Carsland. We were so lucky to manage to be at the very front of rope drop on our last visit to get this next photo!

And Carsland at night almost rivals Main Street USA at night (it’s ok, I said almost!)

And lastly, here are some shots from our time aboard the Disney Fantasy

Wouldn’t it be nice to be lounging on a beach chair at Serenity Cove on Castaway Cay right about now!

https://flic.kr/p/B332qu

Last edited:
Diversion - A tour of Shanghai Disneyland!! - Part 1

Ok - so I don't know about you but I have been GLUED to the internet over the past few days and all the details, photos and videos that are emerging about Shanghai Disneyland, since soft openings began on 6 May.

I was already excited about visiting Shanghai Disneyland based on the previous press releases and concept art, but now, having seen photos and video, I'm ecstatic!

The next part of this update I am going to preface with the words SPOILER ALERT. If you plan of visiting Shanghai Disneyland and don't want to see any photos or videos of it before you visit please STOP READING NOW!

For those of you who, like me, can't wait and must see the awesomeness now - read on!

Ok, so first things first - the new Pirates of the Caribbean Ride - Battle for the Sunken Treasure looks AMAZING! Ok not just amazing, but maybe the best ride Disney has ever put together! I know that's a bold statement (and I haven't even been on the attraction yet) but check out this video of the ride.

Now tell me you didn't just have the same reaction as the guy riding it did! The way they've blended the screen with the live sets, animations and other special effects looks amazing! Lets just say I CANNOT wait to experience this attraction!

Ok next up we have the Tron Lightcycle Coaster! This looks like so much fun, and the effects are super well done! I love that it looks as though it's a launch coaster too!

Now we have Peter Pan's Flight! Does this ride not look 10 times better than Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom's version? The effects look amazing, and everything is so new and crisp and, well I love the original version of Peter Pan (it's probably my favorite of the old style dark rides) but this takes it to a whole new level!

And then we have the Voyage to the Crystal Grotto ride, this looks like Shanghai Disney's version of the Enchanted Storybook Boats, so it's not hugely impressive but it's beautiful and charming and I'd imagine will add a wonderful atmosphere to Shanghai Disneyland's Fantasyland.

And next up, Soarin' Over the Horizon.

The video quality is pretty bad here but you can see the places that are visted which, from what I can tell are Antarctica, Sydney Harbour, Neuschewanstein and Valley, African savannah somewhere, Great Wall of China, Pyramids in Egypt (I think Giza), Taj Mahal in India, Valley with giant rocks and balloons (maybe Monument Valley in the US), Island (maybe Tahiti or Hawaii), Niagara Falls, Paris at night, Somewhere that looks like an Asian city (not sure where) and this is the finale scene (perhaps it’s Shanghai). No New York or London interestingly enough (I thought film had been shot of these two cities), but then again I don't think this footage covers the whole ride, so perhaps they were right at the begining. I'm also surprised by the final scene, I figured they'd at least fly over Shanghai Disney - but perhaps they haven't filmed that yet. Anyway I'm super excited to report that refrains from the original Soarin' score appear to have been included.

Ok scratch that - I've found footage of the whole attraction

Yep, looks like the footage from the previous version is all there is! Perhaps the US versions will be different. The theming the line looks great though doesn't it!

I don't have any footage of Roarin' River Rapids, or the Buzz Lightyear Ride (which looks like it's going to be a huge improvement on the current Buzz rides in the US parks too) and no footage of Seven Dwarf Mine Train either (though I assume that's pretty much a copy of what's at the Magic Kingdom) but so far every attraction video I've seen just makes me all the more excited to visit Shanghai Disney! I love how new everything is, how modern technology has been incorporated everywhere. I think that's going to be the strangest thing for me visiting Shanghai Disney. While other Disney parks world wide still impress and excite, certain things are dated, even while timeless, but Shanghai won't have any of that (I'm guessing Hong Kong Disneyland's newest attractions have elements of that too).

I've also just discovered this walkthrough of the park, but haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet (it's over an hour) so looking forwarding to viewing it later!

I've also found a photo report of the park here

Ekk - so excited!

Last edited:
Diversion - A tour of Shanghai Disneyland!! - Part 2

So photos of Shanghai Disneyland have been popping up everywhere on the internet, which is hugely exciting, so I thought i'd take you through a tour of this amazing looking park, especially since all the pictures are getting me so excited for our visit in January. I'm just going to preface this by saying none of these images are mine (obviously) and are screen shots, mostly from Instagram, so may not be great quality! They'll give you the idea though! Also a warning, I'll be analyzing my thoughts on the new park from these pictures. Obviously, I haven't been to the park and my opinion has only been formed from the images I've seen. I'm no expert either, just a fan who loves Disney and enjoys talking about it. I'll give you more indepth thoughts after I've visited. But I like the idea of being able to give commentary on a brand new park before it's even open to the public! And of course, while I love to research things before I see them, I try to never form a final opinion based on second hand information or, in this case, pictures. I'll reserve my final judgment of the park for after I see it myself.

Let's start with some aerial shots I found of the park at dusk.

Ok first the whole resort.

First thing I notice in this photo is the AMAZING paving in the atrium in front of the entrance gate, the floral arrangements look gorgeous! I assume the fountain in the middle is the Mickey 'steamboat willie' fountain that I've seen photos of. Off to the left is Disney Town, Shanghai's Downtown Disney. It's quite strange how close that area is to the park, it basically runs parallel with the entrance plaza and turnstiles and Mickey Avenue, which is strange. I bet the second stories of some of those buildings have great views into the park!

The other thing you notice is how huge the hub (aka Gardens of Imagination) really is. This becomes more apparent in a few more photos!

Now for a close up of just the park entrance, and hub (with a bit of Tomorrowland)

Moving down to the Train Station, first up is a picture of the Station from outside the main gate.

Then we move into the entrance plaza inside the main gate.

And finally some close up detail of the train entrance way.

A few things about the train station stand out to me. The first is it's whimsy. It's very different in design from all the other Disney train stations, and a lot more whimsical, but it still has that gravitas to it which allows it to look like it could be a real station about to take you on an adventure into magic (which is what I always feel when I see any castle park's train station for the first time). The colour scheme is interesting too. Not sure about the Mickey clock though.I don't know why but it just reminds me of those cheap Mickey face watches you can buy in the parks, and I've never really liked their 'camp' style.

The other thing that I think is really different is the way the entrance tunnel to the park is open under the whole station, rather than just on the two sides. It's so interesting to see into Town Square and towards the castle as you pass under the train station. It does destroy the classic 'reveal' of the castle other Disney castle parks have when you round the corner of Town Square onto Main Street, but at the same time it has the ability to draw you in a lot more as well.

Anyway onto Main Street aka Mickey Avenue.

Town Square is first. It's less of a Town Square and more of a slightly wider entrance way to Mickey Avenue I think.

Now some details of the buildings

And it looks beautiful at night! The castle looks beautiful at night too!

I think Mickey Avenue looks interesting for a few reasons. First of all, it's much shorter than the average Main Street and lacks a distinctive Town Square. Secondly, it curves out around the top of Gardens of the Imagination or the hub area more so than any other castle park's Main Street does. And thirdy, and probably most obviously, it's architecture is so different from any other Disneyland style park. I'm still not 100% sure I like it. I don't think it fits together thematically (it looks like a whole pile of different buildings from different periods were toonified and cobbled together). But as I said above, I'll leave my final judgment of whether I like it or not for my actual visit!

After Mickey Avenue we see the hub area (Gardens of the Imagination)

I like the water, I think that will be really great for night photography. The gardens themselves don't look quite finished (they are a little lacking in foliage). I'm hoping that a good 6 months from opening (which is when we will be visiting) this will have been rectified.

Anyway this shot is looking back towards Mickey Avenue and you can see the buildings curving along the edge of the hub, and how close the Train Station is to the hub area.

The partners statue is the version from California Adventure of Walt Disney in 1922. I like to call it the 'Suitcase and a Dream' Walt and Mickey statue. I think in reality it's called the Storytellers statue.

It's also so interesting to see the water between the partners and the castle.

Then we have the entrance to the Gardens, which I actually think is a little 'meh' for lack of a better word. Perhaps once the foliage comes in a little more it will be better. It's just a strange and very sterile entrance way to a garden.

This is a gorgeous shot from one of the angles in the garden - Love the cherry blossoms

There are two attractions in the Gardens, Dumbo and the Fantasia Carousel, which are classic Fantasyland carnival style rides that have been moved out of Fantasyland and into this hub area. I like this shot of the Dumbo spinner because it shows you a lot of the garden area. The two things that stuck out for me in this photo were;
  • the continuation of Mickey Avenue all the way along to the castle drawbridge (see the very left before the Dumbo tent wait area); and
  • the carefully laid out standing area in front of the castle, which I assume is the viewing area for shows (which is a super smart thing to include in the park!)

And here's a shot of the other attraction in Gardens of the Imagination, the Fantasia Carousel

And last up is a picture of the Wandering Moon Tea House which is on the right hand side (when facing the castle) of the hub area (near Adventure Isle and Treasure Cove).

The Gardens of the Imagination looks like it has great potential. As a viewing area for castle shows and for the purposes of interesting photography angles it's brilliant. The area itself looks like it could use a little more work, mostly in the foliage area but I'm sure that will come with time. I really like the addition of water here too. While I realise Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom both have small bodies of water in their hub areas they are nothing like this. I also feel Tokyo Disney really suffers from it's lack of water and greenery in it's hub area which is why I'm glad these elements have been added at Shanghai Disney.

Now to the castle. Wow - just WOW! First of all it's HUGE. Secondly, it's supremely well detailed. I love how there is no entrance way coming up the front of the castle. I'm hoping this means during shows and other entertainment you'll still be able to walk through the castle thanks to this design. The rock work is also a really clever way to incorporate a stage in front of the castle and to create a sense of the size and grandeur of the thing.

A shot from the Gardens of Imagination across the water.

Some of that amazing rock work

I've not been to Disneyland Paris, but it looks like this castle has taken elements of that particular castles style (a little more realistic and chateau like) but bigger. I know people were concerned the castle, being as big as it is, would lack personality and charm but I think the imagineers have done a great job at keeping the charm of a Disney castle while portraying a grandeur no other Disney castle has! The thing looks like it would be beautiful from all angles too!

And the inside of the castle look amazing!

Look at the detail, especially in the second shot, of the floor! And just take a look at the mosaic work inside!

Beautiful!

Last edited:
Diversion - A tour of Shanghai Disneyland!! - Part 3

So moving on to the right of the hub we have Adventure Isle, Shanghai Disneyland's answer to Adventureland. It's on the opposite side of the park from most Adventureland's (as is Tomorrowland) and, from the little I've seen of it, surpasses all other Adventureland's in terms of attention to detail, cohesiveness and theme. Adventure Isle is a mythical place, rather than just a collection of exotic locations mushed together like other Adventureland's. It's detail reminds me a little of the African and Asian areas of Animal Kingdom. That being said, while Harambe and Anandapur villages evoke a sense of place within the countries they represent (Africa and Asia respectively), Adventure Isle is a little more fantastical. Anyway, Roarin' Rapids is the major attraction here, but Soarin' over the Horizon is also located with Adventure Isle as well.

This is looking back at Adventure Isle from Treasure Cove I think, the Roarin' Rapids mountain looms particularly well!

The attention to detail in the rock work is stunning - it's perhaps even better than Radiator Racers at California Adventure by the looks of things!

If you've watched the video of Soarin' Over the Horizon in my earlier post you'll see that it looks as though the queue and theming of the attraction here surpasses any of the Soarin' attractions in the states!

Roarin River Rapids looks great, this next shot reminds me a little of Big Thunder Mountain!

Heading right again is Treasure Cove, which shares a lagoon area with Adventure Isle. This land is the very first pirates themed land in any Disney park and looks incredible! The attention to detail looks pretty amazing!

One thing I have noticed about Shanghai Disneyland's lands is how far apart they seemed to be spaced, which should hopefully mean the transitions between lands are a little more gentle.

First up are some high up shots of the Cove which look great

Look at all the detail on the docks and pirate ship!

I'm noticing in all the photos how wide the pathways seem at Shanghai Disneyland. I noticed this when we visited Tokyo Disney as well, and it seems these paths were designed for the larger crowds expected at Shanghai Disney. I'm glad they've made space to cover the throngs of people that could descend upon the park should it gain popularity however there is something about these wider paths that I don't really like. I noticed it in Tokyo too, it takes away some of the charm and intimacy perhaps. Either way it's a minor quibble!

The marooned Pirate Ship is going to make for some great photos methinks!

Some of the gags around the dock are adorable, and definitely make for a lot of great photo ops - this was one of my favourites

After Treasure Cove we make it to the centre of the park and Fantasyland. I have to say, Shanghai's Fantasyland excites me for a number of reasons. First of all, it includes the largest Disney castle ever made, with a restaurant and boat ride in and around it. Secondly, with Voyage to the Crystal Grotto and Seven Dwarfs Mines Train the area has more of a woodland, river style, rather than just a village area which I think will make it feel more immersive and broadens the Fantastical elements (like the New Fantasyland area at the Magic Kingdom did). Thirdly, the attraction line up is stellar. While the classic dark rides are still there (Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan), it has more of a rounded attraction line up than other Fantasyland's and less carnival style attractions. Also the plussing of the Peter Pan attraction looks like it has made it a headliner dark ride. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train adds a few thrills to the area and the Voyage to the Crystal Grotto adds that atmosphere that echoes what I love about the Storybook Canal boats at Disneyland. Of course there are no where near as many dark rides as at Disneyland, but what dark rides there are (well Peter Pan at least) do seem hugely improved over Disneyland dark rides. While I will do think a few more dark rides may have been beneficial, I won't miss it's a small world! My only disappointment would be that, given the awesomeness of Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland, they decided to go with the Winnie the Pooh static dark ride from Disneyland and Magic Kingdom (I assume, no videos or photos or reviews have been forthcoming so that is still to be seen. Still based on what I've read I'd imaging this is what the ride is - it has the same name as the Disneyland and Magic Kingdom versions after all). The addition of the Alice in Wonderland maze is a great one too. While it's low budget, it adds atmosphere to the area and looks like it offers some really fun photo opportunities (yes, you may have noticed I like things if I think they'll make for good photos). Anyway, here are a few shots I found of Fantasyland (I haven't found too many of this area yet).

This is the view from the loading area for Voyage to the Crystal Grotto

And some pictures of the Alice maze

Last up is the Tomorrowland area of the park. This land looks GREAT because of the fact it currently looks modern. Still, it may have the issue of ageing badly like all the other Tommorrowland's around the world (except maybe Disneyland Paris'). Time will tell I guess but for now I think it looks amazing!

The TRON Coaster looks particularly exciting - I love the lighting. This attraction is interesting because the theming is minimalistic but in no way minimal, and work so well with a coaster ride!

Overall I think Shanghai Disneyland raises the bar for Disney castle parks world wide. It looks like the attention to detail could possibly be on par with Tokyo Disney Seas (and that's a high compliment). I am hoping that the wide thoroughfares and lack of foliage in places don't take away anything from the park. Those minor things would be my only quibbles so far with what looks like a beautiful and well made park! Anyway, that is it for Rachelle's tour of Shangahi Disneyland! It's making me all the more excited to visit!

Last edited:
Touring Plans

So I’ve done a lot of research about the attractions at each of the Asian Disney parks, and about the crowd levels and popularity of each attraction, and based on that, and our preferences, I’ve done up the following touring plans for what we will try do each day at the parks. Obviously, at the moment, the Shanghai Disney plan is based on very little except my ride preferences, which rides we will prioritise for Fastpass each day of our visit. You’ll notice in a lot of our touring plans I pencil in time for photography, especially at night. This is simply because to get decent photos it takes time and reflection, and you have to really have able to think about your shots. We make this a part of our touring plans because photography is a priority for us, and something we really enjoy. For us photography is a great way to slow down and take in the details and beauty of these parks, and notice them in ways we may not have while running from attraction to attraction. This is why, even if you aren’t a photographer, I think everyone should pencil in breaks in their plans like this where their ultimate goal is to slow down and take in the atmosphere and details around them.

Obviously I have no idea if these plans will be successful or not (I can only really say with some certainty that I know the Tokyo Disney plans will work because they were successful on our last trip). When I write the trip report I’ll let you know how these plans worked out.

The basic gist of these touring plans is:

• Prioritise attractions in order of preference, and note which attractions are the top three or four attractions we’d like to visit. We will then make sure those attractions are prioritised as attractions to use Fastpass for, spreading those attractions out enough on our list to try anticipate the wait time between Fastpass tickets. I’m making note of any attractions with Fastpass (FP) and single rider lines (SR) in these plans as well
  • Note opening and closing times of the park and our arrival time at the park (we always attempt to arrive 30 minutes – 1 hour before opening)
  • Note lunch and dinner restaurants/eateries – if these restaurants require reservations I will note to make those in advance
  • Note show times of any shows that we want to see and which one we plan to see. Obviously this information is not based on actual show times at this point, because we are too far out, but for the time being it is based on the same day/date from the previous year’s (2016) show information RE the regular show times of these attractions at that time of year.

You’ll also note that we did our best, where possible, to avoid the parks on the weekends (we are visiting Shanghai Disney on a Sunday as part of our three day stint there, which I’m sort of dreading, but as we have three days at the park I think it will be ok, even if we skip the attractions that day and simply take photos. We are also spending an evening at Hong Kong Disneyland on a Sunday night, however this is to take advantage of the longer hours for night photography , and this park is usually quiet anyway so I’m not too worried about that)

Universal Studios Singapore – 1 Day Plan

Day of visit – Friday, 6 January 2017 – expected opening hours 10:00am – 6:00pm

Universal Express Pass (EP) will be purchased

· Arrive at 9:30am

· Transformers the Ride – use EP

· Battlestar Galatica: Human Coaster – use EP

· Battlestar Galatica: Cyclon Coaster – use EP

· Revenge of the Mummy Coaster – use EP

· Photos

· Lunch at 1:00pm – Mel’s Diner

· Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure – use EP

· Madagascar – A Crate Adventure – use EP

· Treasure Hunters Ride

· Re-ride any favourite attractions

· Photos/Shopping

Last edited:
Hong Kong Disneyland – 1.5 days Plan

Days of visit

Day 1 – half day Sunday 8 January 2017 – expected opening hours 10:30am – 9:00pm

· Arrive at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort 1:30pm

· Hotel pictures

· Dinner at 5:30pm at Enchanted Garden Restaurant – Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel

· 7pm into Hong Kong Disneyland for night shots

Day 2 – full day - Monday, 9 January 2017 – expected opening hours 10:00am – 7:00pm

· Arrive at Hong Kong Disneyland 9:20am

· Mystic Manor x 2

· Photo Mystic Point

· Big Grizzly Runaway Mine Cars x 2

· Photos Grizzly Gulch

· Iron Man Ride x 2

· Mickey and the Wondrous Book at 12:30pm

· Space Mountain – FP and get FP for second ride

· Lunch at 1:00pm – Explorers Club Restaurant

· Gardens of Wonder

· Jungle River Cruise

· Festival of Fantasy Parade at 3:30pm

· Festival of the Lion King – 4:30pm show

· Photos Toy Story Playland (Ride any rides that look interesting)

· Sunset and Blue Hour photos

· Find spot for Paint the Night Parade

· Paint the Night Parade at 7:00pm

Shanghai Disneyland – 3 day Plan

So some nots RE these plans, obviously there is no crowd information on Shanghai Disney yet, but I'm betting it will be busy so I am basing these plans on the Fastpass information, Single Rider information, and assuming the parks will be really busy. This has been my strategy when working out my touring plans for each day:

1 - Prioritise first attraction and first Fastpass of the day to cover all of the headliner attraction I really want to see at least once
  • Day 1 - Soarin' (FP) and Pirates (1st Ride)
  • Day 2 - Roarin' Rapids (FP) and Pirates (1st Ride)
  • Day 3 - Tron Light Cycle (FP) and Peter Pan (1st Ride)

2 - I'm also assuming, like the busy Tokyo Disney, Fastpasses will run out around midday so I have to have my first three ride choices for FP each day (you'll note Pirates isn't on this list but is on the 1st Ride list twice and that's because FP is not offered on that attraction), and will make sure to get them all before midday.
  • 1st day FP priorities are Soarin' Over the Horizon, Roarin Rapids and Seven Dwarves Mine Train
  • 2nd day FP priorities are Roarin' Rapids, Tron Light Cycle Coaster, Peter Pan's Flight
  • 3rd Day FP priorities are Tron Light Cycle Coaster, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Buzz Lightyear.
3 - I am also noting that the headliner attractions we do later in the morning and afternoon will require us to use the single rider lines, and we will use these single rider lines to avoid the long waits. Minor attraction I have listed further down our attractions list that don't have single rider (Buzz Lightyear and Voyage to the Crystal Grotto) we may have to wait a bit for!

4 - We are going to make sure we arrive 1 hour before park opening so we can be the first one's through the gate and be ahead of the crowds, hopefully all day!

So hopefully this helps us stay ahead of crowds. In addition, as January is apparently the quietest for tourist in Shanghai (it's very cold that time of year - but it's not in the wettest season, it's not the driest month but it's by no means in the top 5 wettest either!) so I'm hoping that will help keep crowd levels manageable.

So Actual Touring Plans now
Days of visit
Day 1 – Friday 13 January 2017 – expected opening hours unknown, guessing 10:00am – 10:00pm?

· Arrive at park 1 hour before opening

· Get FP for Soarin’ Over the Horizon

· Pirates of the Caribbean – Battle of the Sunken Treasure (SR)

· Roarin Rapids (SR)

· Get FP for Seven Dwarves Mine Train - Ride Soarin Over the Horizon with FP

· Tron Lightcycle Coaster (SR)

· Get FP for Peter Pan’s Flight – Ride Seven Dwards Mine Train with FP

· Voyage to the Crystal Grotto

· Peter Pan’s Flight with FP

· Buzz Lighyear Planet Rescue

· Lunch at 1pm Barbossa’s Bounty

· Tomorrowland spinner Ride

· Wonderland Maze

· Gardens of the Imagination – Photos

· Tarzan – Call of the Jungle Show

· Adventure Isle – Photos

· Sunset Photos

· Dinner at 6:30pm – Royal Banquet Hall

· Watch Ignite the Dream

· Night Photos

Day 2 – Sun 15 January 2017 - expected opening hours unknown, guessing 10:00am – 10:00pm?

· Get FP for Roarin Rapids

· Pirates of the Caribbean – Battle of the Sunken Treasure

· Get FP for Tron Light Cycle Coaster

· Ride Roarin Rapids with FP

· Ride Soarin Over the Horizon unless lines are too long

· Ride Tron Light Cycle Coaster with FP

· Get FP for Peter Pan’s Flight

· Ride Buzz Lightyear Planet Rescue

· Ride Peter Pan’s Flight with FP

· Lunch at 12pm – Tangled Tree Tavern

· Photos – Fantasyland

· Photos – Tomorrowland

· Photos – Treasure Cove

· Eye of the Storm Stunt Spectacular

· Photos – Castle

· Photos – Gardens of the Imagination

· Sunset Photos

· Dinner at 7pm

· Night Photos

Day 3 – Mon 16 January 2017 - expected opening hours unknown, guessing 10:00am - 10:00pm?

·

· Get FP for TronLight Cycle Coaster

· Ride Peter Pan’s Flight

· Ride Soarin’ Over the

· Get FP for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

· Ride Roarin’ River Rapids

· Pirates of the Caribbean – Battle of the Sunken Treasure (SR)

· Get FP for Buzz Lightyear’s Planet Rescue

· Ride Tron Lightcycle Coaster with FP

· Lunch at 1:30pm – Wandering Moon Tea House

· Visit Star Wars Launch Bay

· Visit Marvel Meet and Greet

· Photos

· Once Upon a Time Adventure

· Dinner at 5pm

· Ride-ride any favourites with short lines

· Night photos

Universal Studios Japan – 1 day

Universal Studios is apparently one of the busiest Universal parks in the world. To combat that we will be purchasing the 7 attraction express pass which will cover the following attractions; Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Flight of the Hippogriff, Jurassic Park - The Flying Dinosaur, Spiderman, Hollywood Dream - The Ride/ Backdraft, Jurassic Park – The Ride/Terminator 2: 3D. In addition I have made note of the single rider lines on certain attractions, and I’m hoping like at Tokyo Disney the Japanese audience doesn’t take as much notice of these lines. We will again be arriving an hour before opening to try and get through the gates before the crowds.

Day of visit – Tuesday 17 January 2017 – expected opening hours 9:00am – 7:00pm

· Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey x 2 – 1 with EP and second with SR – get timed entry for WWOHP for later in the evening

· Photos – Wizarding World of Harry Potter

· Jurassic Park – The Flying Dinosaur – use EP

· Space Fantasy – The Ride – Use SR

· The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman x 2 – use EP and second with SR

· Hollywood Dream – The Ride – use EP (SR is also available)

· LUNCH

· Jurassic Park – The Ride – Use EP (SR is also available)

· Photos and ride any favourites again using SR lines

· Sunset/Blue Hour Photos (sunset at 5:11pm)

· DINNER – Azzurra di Capri

· Night Shots – Wizarding World of Harry Potter

· Night Shots - Lagoon

Tokyo Disney Resort – 4.5 Days Plan

Tokyo Disney is the park I’m the least worried about RE crowds and touring plans, because I know we will be going at a quieter time of year than our last visit, and our plans worked excellently last time around.

I’ve already noted our touring strategies for Tokyo Disney in the planning section above, but in case you missed them, here they are again:
  • Prioritise attractions in order of preference, and note which attractions are the top three or four attractions we’d like to visit. We will then make sure those attractions are prioritised as attractions to use Fastpass for, spreading those attractions out enough on our list to try anticipate the wait time between Fastpass tickets. I’m making note of any attractions with Fastpass (FP) and single rider lines (SR) in these plans as well
  • Note opening and closing times of the park and our arrival time at the park (we always attempt to arrive 30 minutes – 1 hour before opening)
  • Note lunch and dinner restaurants/eateries – if these restaurants require reservations I will note to make those in advance
  • Note show times of any shows that we want to see and which one we plan to see. Obviously this information is not based on actual show times at this point, because we are too far out, but for the time being it is based on the same day/date from the previous year’s (2016) show information RE the regular show times of these attractions at that time of year.
Days of visit

Day 1 – Monday 23 January 2017 – Tokyo Disney Seas – Expected opening hours 8:00am – 7:00pm

· 5pm until close – take night photos Tokyo Disney Seas – stay after close for empty Mediterranean Harbour pics

Day 2 – Tuesday 24 January 2017 – Tokyo Disneyland – Expected opening hours 8:00am – 10:00pm

· Arrive 30 minutes to 1 hour before opening

· Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek FP and Ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt

· Space Mountain

· Star Tours

· Monster Inc Ride and Go Seek

· Big Thunder Mountain FP

· Splash Mountain (SR)

· Pirates of the Caribbean

· Big Thunder Mountain with FP

· LUNCH – Grandma Sara’s Kitchen

· Climb Swiss Robinson Tree for photos and views

· The Haunted Mansion

· Photos Fantasyland

· Sunset/Blue Hour Shots – Castle/Hub

· DINNER – Blue Bayou (Priority Seating)

· Find spot for Tokyo Disney Electrical Parade

· Dreamlights – Tokyo Disney’s Electrical Parade

· Once Upon a Time Castle Show

· Night Photos – Fantasyland/Castle-Hub/World Bazaar

Day 3 – Wed 25 January 2017 – Tokyo Disneyland – Expected opening hours 8:00am – 10:00pm

· Arrive 30 minutes to 1 hour before opening

· Pooh’s Hunny Hunt Ride and FP

· Peter Pan’s Flight

· Space Mountain

· Ride Pooh’s Hunny Hunt again with HP

· Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek FP

· Star Tours

· Big Thunder Mountain

· Splash Mountain - SR

· Photos – Westernland/Critter Country

· Cinderella’s Fairytale Hall castle walkthrough

· LUNCH – quick service and find spot for Happiness is Here Parade

· Happiness is Here Parade

· Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek with FP

· Photos – Tomorrowland

· Photos – Adventureland

· Sunset Photos – Westernland/Critter Country (sunset at 4:59pm)

· Blue Hour Photos – Westernland/Critter Country – Castle Hub – Tomorrowland (get quick service DINNER which taking photos)

· Night Photos – Critter Country, Westernland, Adventureland and Tomorrowland

Day 4 – Thursday 26 January 2017 - Tokyo Disney Seas – Expected Opening Hours 10:00am – 7:00pm

· Arrive 30 minutes to an hour before opening

· Get Tower of Terror FP – attempt Lottery for Big Band Beat and Out of Shadowland

· Journey to the Centre of the Earth

· Indiana Jones (SR if necessary)

· 20000 Leagues under the Sea and Photos of Mysterious Island

· Tower of Terror with FP

· Photos – American Waterfront

· Photos – Mediterranean Harbour

· LUNCH – Magellan’s (Priority Seating)

· Big Band Beat (if lottery was won)

· King Triton’s Concert – Mermaid Lagoon

· Out of Shadowland

· Transit Steamer Boat from Lost River Delta to American Waterfront

· Sunset Photos – American Waterfront/Cape Cod

· Mermaid Lagoon inside photos

· DINNER – quick service to room

· Watch Fantasmic from room

Day 5 – Friday 27 January 2017 – Tokyo Disney Seas – Expected Opening Hours 10:00am – 10:00pm

· Arrive 30 minutes to an hour before opening

· Attempt Lottery for Out of Shadowland

· Journey to the Centre of the Earth and grab FP for later

· Indiana Jones (SR)

· Journey to the Centre of the Earth with FP

· 20000 Leagues under the Sea

· LUNCH – New York Deli

· Explore S.S.Columbia (and Photos)

· Explore Fortress Exploration and Photos

· Photos Mediterranean Habour

· Ride Sinbad x 2

· Photos Arabian Coast and Mermaid Lagoon

· Sunset Photos Lost River Delta, Arabian Coast and Mermaid Lagoon and Mediterranean Harbour

· Blue Hour Photos - Mediterranean Harbour, American Waterfront, Cape Cod

· DINNER – Ristorante di Canaletto (Priority Seating)

· Night Photos – Tokyo Disney Seas

Another Shanghai Disneyland Update!
So more exciting news is popping up about the new Shanghai Disneyland everyday, which has been helping me with planning!

Yesterday I discovered that Shanghai Disney has released a park app, which is available in English (YAY) which displays park information, wait times etc. I am hoping that it is going to display wait times for anyone anywhere (like the Walt Disney World app does) and if this is the case, I am going to keep my eye on those wait times over the next few months to get an idea about crowd levels etc (yes I have already made a spreadsheet to track it). It's fairly easy because Perth is actually in the same time-zone as Shanghai so when I check the wait time information it will actually correspond with what time it is. I thought I could check a few times a day (at opening, midday, mid-afternoon and evening) and keep notes on wait times. Whether or not I actually do this EVERY DAY will remain to be seen, still I report back here with my observations.

In addition to including wait times for attractions, the app has listed park opening hours all the way through to mid-August, which I note the website has not done yet. While the hours are pretty standard (8:00am - 10:00am Friday - Sunday and 9:00am - 9:00pm Monday - Thursday, bar the first week when every day the park is open 8:00am - 10:00pm everyday), it is finally good to see an idea of what they think their hours will look like. I'm hoping that these don't decrease significantly during the quieter periods though. We will have to wait and see. Opening day the park is listed as being open from 12:00pm - 10:00pm. I guess that they will adjust hours as they see what kind of crowds they are dealing with in the first few weeks.

Did you know that the Japanese Disney parks have an app too? It was fantastic when we were there. Pretty accurate. It's called TokyoDMap.

Did you know that the Japanese Disney parks have an app too? It was fantastic when we were there. Pretty accurate. It's called TokyoDMap.
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know Tokyo Disney had a lines app - doesn't look like it's an official one like Shanghai Disney's so I'm guessing data is sourced similarly to the is touring plans Disney apps, where users report wait times - sometimes actually more accurate than the "official" wait times anyway thanks again for the tip

So have just read an article that some of the wait times for Shanghai Disneyland attractions during the pre-views were around 195 minutes! (Soarin' was the attraction said to have had those kinds of waits!) - Ekk! Hoping I can follow along with the waits on the app and get an idea of just how bad they might be!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter