• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An Afternoon @F&W (8 booths & Pumpkin Funnel Cake!)

BlovesC

home is where the Yeti is
DH and I hit Epcot this afternoon for the first time since F&W started to finally try the offerings. As much as I LOVE Disney food, I'm not really that big on F&W for several reasons...I don't drink much, I'm unfortunately picky when it comes to food, and I have a really weird issue with eating hot foods outdoors. :lmao: But I'm one of those weird pumpkinaholics and I knew I HAD to try the mousse that everyone's been raving about!

We got a wristband with a $40 limit. I worried the amount was going to be too low when we bought it, but it wound up being almost more than we needed. Although DH could have easily spent another $20 or so I'm sure! :rolleyes1

When it comes to food, I have a massive sweet tooth and an aversion to salty/sour. DH however is a salty/sour fiend, but he'll eat just about anything.

I brought along a new camera I'd just gotten that I wanted to test before an upcoming trip. It's a cheap novice model, but since my old camera was a model from 2007, it's a huge improvement. DH, being convinced I will find a way to break everything I touch, panicked when he first saw me holding the camera with one hand and food in the other. So he helpfully held most of the food items while I took the pics. Thanks sweetie! :rolleyes:

China was our first stop. DH got the Black Pepper Shrimp with Sichuan Noodles;
china2.jpg

This was served a little colder than lukewarm, and DH thought it would have been better hotter. He did enjoy the flavors, but felt the portion was too small, and kept telling me how he could get a giant takeout meal for the same price.

Unlike DH, I don't care for Chinese food. Which is apparently what's kept me in the dark on this little gem here;
china1.jpg

Caramel Ginger Ice Cream. I LOVED this. I thought the ginger flavor was very subtle, but DH thought it was overwhelming. Apparently I have a higher ginger tolerance as well as sugar. This was so smooth and creamy but with that wonderful hint of spice.

And then I noticed the "Lotus Blossom Cafe" logo on the lid and looked at the menu and realized this amazing stuff has been hiding its glory in Epcot all this time. Serves me right for shunning an entire cuisine! DH is very happy that I'm now willing to try a meal in China next time we're there.

On we went to South Korea, where DH got;
southkorea.jpg

I asked him to show a little more enthusiasm in his food modeling, so he gave me this very forced smile and pose;
foodmodel.jpg

:laughing: Anyway, that's the Barbecue Short Rib with Steamed Rice and Cucumber Kimchi.
This was his favorite item of the day. The meat was tender and the kimchi had a wonderful kick! I tried a bit of the kimchi and it definitely was hot to me.

Next we stopped at Germany. I'm not a big fan of sausage, although I've enjoyed a few meals at Biergarten, but I really wanted to try this;
germany.jpg

Nurnberger Sausage in a Pretzel Roll.
It was delicious! The sausage was perfectly hot and had a nice mild flavor which went perfectly with the mustard. And I don't think I've ever had a pretzel roll I didn't like. :thumbsup2 DH ate most of this even though we were supposed to share! Boooo hiss!

germany2.jpg

I'd also wanted to try the apple streudel with caramel, because that's one of my favorite combinations, but they looked really small and I was being stingy with my money. Unfortunately, not stingy enough...

I had to try a cannoli from Italy. I knew it wasn't a good choice as soon as I picked it up. I grew up in NJ, I've had plenty of cannolis and I love them, but the chocolate covering the shell on this felt like steel.

italy.jpg

The sight of this little hard cannoli was enough to make even donkeys weep.
Needless to say I took one bite and passed it to Hubs. Sigh! But there was no time for sadness, because next up was hops and barley!

Which meant...PUMPKIN MOUSSE TIME!

mousse1.jpg

Straight outta the kitchen in my Barbie Dreamhouse! :lmao:
OK, it may have been small, but for $1.50 it packed a lot of flavor;
mousse2.jpg

:worship:
Delicious, delicious explosion of autumn goodness! I don't know how to describe it. It was like a slice of pumpkin pie, mashed up, with more spice, and an orange twist. Even the craisins were good in it. DH sadly finished his on his own, not taking a page from all my food generosity so far, pffbt. I could have eaten five more of these!

And while I was debating ordering those five, I remembered a coworker telling me about Pumpkin Spice Funnel Cake in Epcot...and we happened to be right in front of the kiosk, so I had to check...and voila!

funnel.jpg

Pumpkin Spice Funnel Cake!
I've never even heard of this before, but hey, everything's better with pumpkin! I've never liked funnel cake, but DH is a big fan. This was super moist and chewy and warm, like a giant pumpkin cookie. As far as funnel cake goes, it was definitely the best I've tried, but I couldn't eat much of it. DH said he preferred regular funnel cake. Heathen.

Next we stopped at France, where I decided for $5 I could expand my horizons and be a little more worldly and adventurous!
snails.jpg

Escargots Persillade en Brioche!
When we first looked inside the snails seemed dry, but they were anything but! I really enjoyed this! It honestly tasted like mushrooms in a heavy garlic sauce inside soft bread. It was tasty but VERY rich. DH wasn't too thrilled with them, which surprised me.

A stop at Ireland for a cheese platter for DH;
ireland.jpg

Kerrygold Cheese Selection; Aged Irish Cheddar, Dubliner, and Ivernia Cheese with Apple Chutney and Brown bread.
This was a pick that came out of left field to me, but he liked it. He didn't really have much to say about them other than they were good, and that he would have liked more bread. They were all too potent for me but DH does like a lot of strong cheeses.

Lastly, we hit the Desserts & Champagne booth for;
desserts.jpg

Dessert Trio; Lemon Chiffon, White Chocolate Macadamia Mousse with Dark Chocolate Pearls, and Tres Leches Verrine.

My favorite by a landslide was the White Chocolate Mousse! It was rich, but not too rich, and had a wonderful texture. The lemon chiffon was a little boring, and I didn't like the tres leches at all except for the frosting. DH liked the lemon chiffon the best because it was tart and not too sweet for him!

We had $5 left on our card still so I decided to make a repeat trip to....China! Yes, for more caramel ginger ice cream that I can get year-round! :lmao: What can I say? It was just really hitting the spot today!

The entire time we were in Epcot, the sky was filled with ominously black clouds. Tuesday night we were supposed to have gone to MNSSHP, but there were severe storm warnings all over the news, so we changed our tickets to Thursday night. Of course, it wound up hardly raining on Tuesday and now today, which is supposed to have been sunny with nothing showing on the radar, has a sky like this;
clouds.jpg

so now I'm expecting our sunny and clear MNSSHP to be rained out tomorrow. Oh Florida weather, you fickle thing you! :lmao:

One last shot, of the bog you pass on the way in...brought to you by Craisins, of course!
bog.jpg

Wow, great review! The short ribs looked fantastic and the ginger ice cream sounds yummy!

Always wanted to try the F & W Festival. Hopefully, next year...sigh. I think your pictures are wonderful. No worries there.

And I must agree, we do have excellent Cannolis here in NJ! :goodvibes

Jennie

Thanks for the great review. We just returned from our own F&W trip. We spent 5 of our 12 days at Epcot on this trip trying different items from the food booths. I also loved the Escargots Persillade en Brioche from France .

OMG thanks so much for the F&W pics but most importantly thanks for the pumpkin funnel cake! Pumkin is my fave and we should arrive in less than 12 hours!!!

Thank you for introducing me to the pumpkin funnel cake. I had no idea they had that!! We will certainly be grabbing one when we go in early Nov.

And I must agree, we do have excellent Cannolis here in NJ! :goodvibes
Jennie
Oh yes! Two things I really miss since my move down here....cannolis and REAL PIZZA! :laughing: And thank you!!

Ron from Michigan said:
I also loved the Escargots Persillade en Brioche from France .
I was really surprised how much I liked those! That's the best part of F&W, it's such a great way to experience new foods that would otherwise be too intimidating or too expensive!

MickeyNicki said:
OMG thanks so much for the F&W pics but most importantly thanks for the pumpkin funnel cake! Pumkin is my fave and we should arrive in less than 12 hours!!!
Oh you're very welcome! Anyone who loves pumpkin has excellent taste indeed. :laughing: If you try it I hope you like it! Be sure to get the pumpkin mousse too! You'll want at least...five or six of those, trust me! :thumbsup2

janabananas said:
Thank you for introducing me to the pumpkin funnel cake. I had no idea they had that!! We will certainly be grabbing one when we go in early Nov.
YVW, but thank my coworker, I had NO clue this existed and was sold there either! I've never even looked at the funnel cake kiosk menu. :laughing: I love fall flavors, I hope to find even more things like this around the parks before the season's over!

sounds like you both had an amazing time eating around the world! the pumpkin spice funnel cake looks delish, and I totally want to try it right now, lol! i hope to make it to the F&W festival one year. :)

Can I just say I am hoping your hubby has giant hands! The potion size for the pumpkin mousse will make me sad otherwise. But the portion of the caramel ginger ice cream looks nice and generous.

One of these days we'll make it to the Food and Wine....:rolleyes1 Thanks for sharing. Everything looks sooooo good!

Everything looks amazing! I gained 5 pounds looking at the funnel cake :lmao: looks soooo good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter