Amazon shipping -- caution

Ranger111

DIS Veteran
I just placed an order on Amazon....the product page said free ship.

When I got to the last ditch, pull the trigger page and charge my card, I noticed shipping was $34.xx.

What the heck.

Well, Amazon had nicely selected standard shipping. Free shipping, which was showing the exact same delivery dates as standard was not selected.

I changed it to the free ship option with the same delivery dates as the standard. Whew.

If I had not been paying attention....

Is this something any of you all have experienced? I thought it was a bit underhanded.

I just placed an order on Amazon....the product page said free ship.

When I got to the last ditch, pull the trigger page and charge my card, I noticed shipping was $34.xx.

What the heck.

Well, Amazon had nicely selected standard shipping. Free shipping, which was showing the exact same delivery dates as standard was not selected.

I changed it to the free ship option with the same delivery dates as the standard. Whew.

If I had not been paying attention....

Is this something any of you all have experienced? I thought it was a bit underhanded.

Amazon always does that. You always have to pay attention and pick the free shipping.

I can get caught with this on my iphone due to the small screen! It's like on ebay also the amount of times I bought an item only to realise it was coming from China. 3 months later it arrives... Not the real deal.

I ordered items that qualified for free same day shipping, but it automatically was set for two day. Actually, I originally had two items that didn't qualify for same day, I chose prime 2 day, and it said my items would be delivered in 5 days! However, when I added items to get the order over $35, I could get it same day.

I might email them - usually if I email about an issue (like my package not being delivered in time), they give me a free month of prime.

Yeah I have had that happen to me, really confusing too when items ship direct from buyers and you have multiple shipping options with different timelines and different things as "free" vs "standard". I actually scrapped the idea of using them for a baby registery because the T&Cs stated items needed to be sold directly by them to qualify for the after registry discount, which nothing these days seems to ship from them. Thankfully my husband is prime so I have him order things now for me. We live right outside NYC and they put an Amazon Prime locker next to our apartment building (which those prime lockers are like something out of a sci-fi movie, ours is named Patricia lol).

I cancelled my prime membership last year because my packages weren't arriving for 5 to 6 days. Amazons excuse was it's two days from the shipping date (they chose not to ship the items for 3 or 4 days) it just wasn't worth the $100 a year to get 6 day shipping. Has this improved at all?
When I first got prime it was awesome, I could order something on Wednesday and it be on my doorstep by Friday. I would happily pay the hundred dollars a year to have that service back.

I've been an Amazon member since 2009 but a Prime member since 2012. When I search for things I tend to default to Prime only items though from time to time I order things that are not prime.

It's not really Amazon issue as far as the shipping goes. I can't blame a company that doesn't default to a shipping option that is free. Some people have preferences with their methods like ground shipping versus air shipping for example. It's not underhanded at all. Amazon is pretty open and honest with their shipping charges. You can clearly see when you are browsing for an item if it is free shipping versus + $X amount for shipping. They also have several options for shipping available and they'll give you credit for like e-books/audio books, etc if you choose longer shipping for certain items. As with anything a consumer should pay close attention when ordering online.

I cancelled my prime membership last year because my packages weren't arriving for 5 to 6 days. Amazons excuse was it's two days from the shipping date (they chose not to ship the items for 3 or 4 days) it just wasn't worth the $100 a year to get 6 day shipping. Has this improved at all?
When I first got prime it was awesome, I could order something on Wednesday and it be on my doorstep by Friday. I would happily pay the hundred dollars a year to have that service back.
I rarely have an issue with an item not getting to me in two days and we order all the time from Amazon prime. There was one time last year that my husband ordered something and it took longer but it was pretty clear next to the price that it said extra processing time was needed.

Amazon doesn't "choose" to send items late. There are a multitude of reasons an item may take longer to ship. There are plenty of items that show "fufilled by Amazon" and they may not be in a warehouse that is closest to you.

Prime is clear in that it says "two day shipping" that doesn't mean get to your door in two days. I will say 95% of the time items get to me in two days. They also have a deal with USPS and will deliver packages on holidays and sunday.

I rarely have an issue with an item not getting to me in two days and we order all the time from Amazon prime. There was one time last year that my husband ordered something and it took longer but it was pretty clear next to the price that it said extra processing time was needed.

Amazon doesn't "choose" to send items late. There are a multitude of reasons an item may take longer to ship. There are plenty of items that show "fufilled by Amazon" and they may not be in a warehouse that is closest to you.

Prime is clear in that it says "two day shipping" that doesn't mean get to your door in two days. I will say 95% of the time items get to me in two days. They also have a deal with USPS and will deliver packages on holidays and sunday.
Maybe it depends on what state you live in. As I stated when I first had the prime it was great, I received most of my orders in 2, at the most 3 days. At the end before I cancelled it they chose to wait 4 days to ship my package.(when it happens over & over it is a choice) in my opinion they shouldn't promise 2 day shipping and charge people for it if they can't deliver on that promise.
I wasn't trying to get into a debate if prime was worth it I was asking if they were actualy getting people their packages in 2 days like the use to.

Maybe it depends on what state you live in. As I stated when I first had the prime it was great, I received most of my orders in 2, at the most 3 days. At the end before I cancelled it they chose to wait 4 days to ship my package.(when it happens over & over it is a choice) in my opinion they shouldn't promise 2 day shipping and charge people for it if they can't deliver on that promise.
I wasn't trying to get into a debate if prime was worth it I was asking if they were actualy getting people their packages in 2 days like the use to.
I wasn't getting into a debate either.

To be fair you said: "Amazons excuse was it's two days from the shipping date (they chose not to ship the items for 3 or 4 days)" and I was responding to that.

Where you live (not necessarily by state) and what you are buying does have an impact on whether things will take longer to process based on the warehouse the item is coming from but the prime itself it for 2-day shipping and 2-day is 2 business days not counting the weekend..though I get things delivered all the time on Saturday/Sunday or Holidays (just got one on Columbus day). There are a lot of things that are Amazon fulfilled versus sold directly from Amazon or sold by a third party (often at a lower cost though that can even out or be more when you calculate shipping costs). That def. can impact things too.

But I am sorry you experienced so much delays. Prime is expensive for sure.

I haven't had any issues with Prime shipping. Usually during checkout they tell you the dates the package will arrive based on what shipping method you select. My packages have mostly arrived on the date specified and some have even come sooner. I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. I don't just use prime for shipping so I see the value in the $100/year (cheaper than my netflix subscription!).

I have had Prime since the beginning and have always received my packages within the 2 days. Like another poster said, I have even had things delivered on Sundays and holidays. I live close to an Amazon Center, but not close enough to get 2 hour shipping so maybe that is why I haven't had any problems. You do have to double check and make sure that you are getting the free shipping because it isn't always the one checked.

I have had Prime for years and this past year the shipping times is over 2 days. I get the same it is 2 days from when it ships reason but in the past things shipped right away, some even the same day so that you would get it in 2 days. That was the point of Prime, to get your merchandise in 2 days from when you ordered it. That has changed, but I renewed my Prime because I got a discount and I use the other services too. I only order from Amazon if the price beats local, or it is something I can't find elsewhere. I used to shop for everything at Amazon, but now that its Prime shipping has changed I don't. They are opening a warehouse within a couple hours from me so I'm hoping that will change shipping out times in the future.

Tha
I haven't had any issues with Prime shipping. Usually during checkout they tell you the dates the package will arrive based on what shipping method you select. My packages have mostly arrived on the date specified and some have even come sooner. I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. I don't just use prime for shipping so I see the value in the $100/year (cheaper than my netflix subscription!).
thanks!! That's great to hear. I would sign back up in a minute if it's back to the way it use to be. I have read so many posts of people that have great experiences like you and so many have long shipping delays like me. I really think it depends on where in the county you live.

I have had Prime for years and this past year the shipping times is over 2 days. I get the same it is 2 days from when it ships reason but in the past things shipped right away, some even the same day so that you would get it in 2 days. That was the point of Prime, to get your merchandise in 2 days from when you ordered it. That has changed, but I renewed my Prime because I got a discount and I use the other services too. I only order from Amazon if the price beats local, or it is something I can't find elsewhere. I used to shop for everything at Amazon, but now that its Prime shipping has changed I don't. They are opening a warehouse within a couple hours from me so I'm hoping that will change shipping out times in the future.
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Oh well it was good while it lasted. We have a fulfillment center in the state (Connecticut) and it didn't help. Hope it help you though.

I wasn't getting into a debate either.

To be fair you said: "Amazons excuse was it's two days from the shipping date (they chose not to ship the items for 3 or 4 days)" and I was responding to that.

Where you live (not necessarily by state) and what you are buying does have an impact on whether things will take longer to process based on the warehouse the item is coming from but the prime itself it for 2-day shipping and 2-day is 2 business days not counting the weekend..though I get things delivered all the time on Saturday/Sunday or Holidays (just got one on Columbus day). There are a lot of things that are Amazon fulfilled versus sold directly from Amazon or sold by a third party (often at a lower cost though that can even out or be more when you calculate shipping costs). That def. can impact things too.

But I am sorry you experienced so much delays. Prime is expensive for sure.
Fair enough. I see your point. I guess the thing that pissed me off the most was how it was when I first signed up. Things would ship same day or the next morning. I too would sometimes get deliveries on Sundays. It was great. I can order from target/walmart with free shipping save myself the $100 a year and get my packages in 5 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter