• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I the only one puzzled by Pandora?

This.
And this.
And this again.

Pandora will succeed or fail (likely succeed) based in if it's well-done or not. One can enjoy it or not without even knowing that there *was* a movie. We're not going to see Michelle Rodriguez flying in being a badass, or even Sigourney Weaver in her scientist mode. We're going to see this amazing fictional world, with this deep (if potentially preachy) connection with nature, that just happens to have been plucked out of a movie.

There may be a few direct references to the movie that we can think of as Easter Eggs, and those familiar with the movie will get them, but it won't lessen the experiences of those who aren't.

I remember the good old days when Disney built attractions based on coming up with good entertaining ideas, rather than insisting on leveraging a popular existing IP. POTC was just a terrific attraction about Pirates running through a town. Haunted Mansion was a light-hearted look at a creepy old house filled with ghosts. Figment and Dreamfinder were characters made up to walk us through a tale of inspiration and imagination. The Yeti has been in legends and probably a movie or two, but Expedition Everest tells its own story. People seem to be OK with these attractions. (All but the last were built before the internet allowed everyone to be an anonymous critic.)

So if one thinks about Pandora as standing on its own, it doesn't matter whether one liked the Avatar movie or not.

Yep all of this (and what the poster said you quoted).

If the land is amazing and the attractions are amazing, the land will be popular even if you aren't an Avatar fan. I think people seeing that forest light up at night or on the boat ride will be an amazing experience personally.

I think by any measure Avatar is the box office champ. It just lacks a compelling story.

I think that nails it right on the head. The best I ever hear anyone say about it is "it was beautiful to look at" and "it has a great message." Neither of those things make for great pop culture. I'm sure Pandora will be awesome, but I just don't get the Avatar thing at all. They could have done a similar kind of fantastical land without paying James Cameron for the rights to Avatar.

I think it might have something to do with James Cameron. He's a great director, but a bit of a perfectionist. Look how long it takes him to make movies.

Cameron and Rohde both putting together a punch list .............. double the nightmare.

o-STACKS-OF-PAPER-facebook.jpg

I think that nails it right on the head. The best I ever hear anyone say about it is "it was beautiful to look at" and "it has a great message." Neither of those things make for great pop culture. I'm sure Pandora will be awesome, but I just don't get the Avatar thing at all. They could have done a similar kind of fantastical land without paying James Cameron for the rights to Avatar.

They're clearly betting big on the sequels, which could lead to it being a very popular land/attraction compared to a different thing they create. It's a gamble with a chance for a huge pay off.

I personally loved the story and know others that did, it was a very basic story for sure, but that world hooked me including the characters, but that's just me. I can see how people feel it is a lacking story and that's everyone's right to have that opinion.

I think this is more about a huge payoff in the future.

They're clearly betting big on the sequels, which could lead to it being a very popular land/attraction compared to a different thing they create. It's a gamble with a chance for a huge pay off.

I personally loved the story and know others that did, it was a very basic story for sure, but that world hooked me including the characters, but that's just me. I can see how people feel it is a lacking story and that's everyone's right to have that opinion.

I think this is more about a huge payoff in the future.

I think that is the driving force ......... to counter HP ............ huge gamble, not even in the same league.

It's not "one of the biggest grossing movies of all time." It is the HIGHEST grossing movie of all-time. #1. Not even the recent Star Wars could defeat it with all of its marketing and hype machine more than a year before the movie came out. Avatar is a beast. And the sequels will be a beast.

Disney is going to absolutely go to town in December until probably 2025 at least.
Avatar isn't a Disney movie, unless you're referring to Pandora at AK.

I think that is the driving force ......... to counter HP ............ huge gamble, not even in the same league.

Ya there is 0 chance it ever out does Harry Potter in fandom that's guaranteed, but the immersion factor of Pandora could blow HP out of the water possibly. HP will always win in popularity as it's engraved in pop culture, no matter how much Avatar and it's sequels make.

Avatar isn't a Disney movie, unless you're referring to Pandora at AK.

I'm aware, I probably phrased poorly. They will be selling Avatar merchandise at AK and that will drive revenue, especially around the months when Avatar sequels are playing (which look to be December).

There are a number of articles about this very topic. A very good one is at Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...eaving-no-pop-culture-footprint/#19e3fcaa284b

I find it fascinating that a movie as huge as Avatar has left virtually nothing behind. This "Fern Gully" remake was the biggest thing ever. For about 3-4 months.

Where are the Avatar toys, novels, video games, spin-off TV series, kids cartoons, etc.?

Even back in 2011 when Pandora started to be built, Avatar was long since gone from the public consciousness. The delays of the sequels just doom this franchise further. Will it make money? Sure it will. But will it ever leave an imprint? That remains to be seen...

I don't understand why it matters if the new movies are big success. Disney isn't putting out these movies. The land is built. They aren't going to lose crowds because of it, even if the new movies are a bust. They can only stand to gain. This new land, then later combined with Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land...the crowds will come. Honestly, it's been said over and over - if the Land is good, the fandom of the movie won't matter. Just the added attraction of how it will look at night, and with that Animal Kingdom being open at night - win.

If they don't come, then it's because WDW just became too expensive. Not because Avatar didn't do well at the box office.

People watching tv are going to see commericials for Pandora. They will see it and not question if the movie theme "fits" WDW - they will see it, think wow that looks cool, we should book a trip to Disney. Most probably won't even associate it with the movie! :p

Last edited:
I don't understand why it matters if the new movies are big success. Disney isn't putting out these movies. The land is built. They aren't going to lose crowds because of it, even if the new movies are a bust. They can only stand to gain. This new land, then later combined with Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land...the crowds will come. Honestly, it's been said over and over - if the Land is good, the fandom of the movie won't matter.

If they don't come, then it's because WDW just became too expensive. Not because Avatar didn't do well at the box office.

People watching tv are going to see commericials for Pandora. They will see it and not question if the movie theme "fits" WDW - they will see it, think wow that looks cool, we should book a trip to Disney. Most probably won't even associate it with the movie! :p

Further, if people still visit Tom Sawyer Island, I have a hard time believing they won't visit Pandora.

One can enjoy it or not without even knowing that there *was* a movie.

So if one thinks about Pandora as standing on its own, it doesn't matter whether one liked the Avatar movie or not.

I don't understand why it matters if the new movies are big success. Disney isn't putting out these movies. The land is built. They aren't going to lose crowds because of it, even if the new movies are a bust. They can only stand to gain. This new land, then later combined with Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land...the crowds will come. Honestly, it's been said over and over - if the Land is good, the fandom of the movie won't matter.

This 100%.

I think that we as enthusiasts will critique every little detail about the land and everything that Disney does. Casual fans of Disney and a majority that visit the parks don't have things at the top of their list such as theming and story and will say they liked it as long as it's a decent experience.

I took my two cousins to Disneyland last week that have never been and we rode every single ride. After the trip I asked them what ride they liked the most. The #1 ride that was on both of their top 5 list was California Screamin'. I was surprised just like a lot of users here would be and asked them why. They said it was a just great ride and loved the feeling of going really fast and the launch at the beginning which is totally understandable.

I find it fascinating that a movie as huge as Avatar has left virtually nothing behind. This "Fern Gully" remake was the biggest thing ever. For about 3-4 months.

That is what we said when we saw it - Fern Gully! Actually, DH and I just re-watched it when we got back from WDW after seeing the construction for this land at AK. I really didn't remember much, but I will say, the look of it is gorgeous! If they get that right, it should be a hit. I have no desire to do the big ticket ride here, but I would love to see the boat ride. I hope it goes well for AK!

I've never had any interest in seeing Avatar. Actually, I'm shocked that it was such a huge grossing movie, since it was not even a small blip on the radar when it was released! Maybe some good will come out of this, and Avatar land will have a good restaurant! LOL

I don't understand why it matters if the new movies are big success. Disney isn't putting out these movies. The land is built. They aren't going to lose crowds because of it, even if the new movies are a bust. They can only stand to gain. This new land, then later combined with Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land...the crowds will come. Honestly, it's been said over and over - if the Land is good, the fandom of the movie won't matter. Just the added attraction of how it will look at night, and with that Animal Kingdom being open at night - win.

It matters in a way because Disney isn't depending on this land to just help with crowds or create a bigger draw for AK or make a little bit of money, they are banking on this thing filling the banks with money they are not touching just like HP did for Universal. HP slammed them and this is their response. Folks all over the world were booking trips to Universal specifically for HP, no one is going to book specifically for Pandora. They may pick up some folks in a couple years that will come because of Pandora and SW Land .... and to lesser degree TSLand but there will be no way to gauge that based on timing.

If they don't come it's because it doesn't matter about grossing, it matters that it has no fan base, you have to have fan base to bring in the cash you weren't already getting. The new movies have opportunity to create a fan base, but the first one didn't It all depends on what Cameron does and that is not in Disney's control.

That is what we said when we saw it - Fern Gully! Actually, DH and I just re-watched it when we got back from WDW after seeing the construction for this land at AK. I really didn't remember much, but I will say, the look of it is gorgeous! If they get that right, it should be a hit. I have no desire to do the big ticket ride here, but I would love to see the boat ride. I hope it goes well for AK!

DS came home from theater and said "Visuals were great, movie was a remake of Fern Gully. Meh. It won't look anything on small screen as it did in theater." You hear it over and over, looked beautiful in theater but nothing else. I think we all hope success, enjoyable rides, immersive land but sadly it doesn't have a fan base for folks to go there specifically for that.

To me, Avatar was a big deal at the time because it was the first movie that really used 3D to add depth instead of gimmicky stuff to a movie. It showed that you could do a 3D movie that didn't have to be "WATER SPRAYING IN YOUR FACE HAHAHAHAHA" but more enhanced what you were already seeing.

As for the plot, it was pretty boring "outsider comes in and saves the native people who obviously can't do anything for themselves" tired old plot. I have no interest in seeing any more of them, and no interest in the Avatar area of AK.

This. I believe Avatar did so incredibly well because it was a new thing.. the imagery is what made it so spectacular and people were running out to watch it.

FF several years later and 3D IMAX movies are a regular thing.. not a huge deal anymore. Will the sequels do nearly as well as the original.. doubt it. I honestly don't know many people who thought it was a truly good movie aside from the stunning imagery. "Boring" seemed to be a word that was repeated a lot with this movie.
Since 3D is pretty much a part of every summer blockbuster now.. Avatar won't have that to depend on. The storyline better be much more interesting for these sequels.

As far as WDW and Pandora, I think people will flock to it. The popularity of the movie I don't think will affect it one way or the other.. it's something new at WDW, it will bring in the flocks.

DS came home from theater and said "Visuals were great, movie was a remake of Fern Gully. Meh. It won't look anything on small screen as it did in theater." You hear it over and over, looked beautiful in theater but nothing else.

This. I believe Avatar did so incredibly well because it was a new thing.. the imagery is what made it so spectacular and people were running out to watch it.

FF several years later and 3D IMAX movies are a regular thing.. not a huge deal anymore. Will the sequels do nearly as well as the original.. doubt it. I honestly don't know many people who thought it was a truly good movie aside from the stunning imagery. "Boring" seemed to be a word that was repeated a lot with this movie.
Since 3D is pretty much a part of every summer blockbuster now.. Avatar won't have that to depend on. The storyline better be much more interesting for these sequels.

As far as WDW and Pandora, I think people will flock to it. The popularity of the movie I don't think will affect it one way or the other.. it's something new at WDW, it will bring in the flocks.

Yet it's still the 2nd highest selling bluray of all time.

It may not have that wow factor as it did on IMAX or in theaters, but visually even on 2D bluray it's still one of the best looking films out there and has barely been rivaled at CG in the last 8 years.

To me it seems like the people who actually enjoyed the film just don't go around posting about it or talking about it because there hasn't been anything to post or talk about as it's been 8 years and people who disliked it seem to rush to post how they disliked it in anything about it lol.

Clearly people saw it more than once (no way it gets to 2.7 billion without a lot of repeat viewings and the fact it hung around the way it did at #1 at the box office) and liked it for more than just the visuals.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter