Am I the only one? Hollywood and Vine is good!?

heartsy77

2024 taking the kids and grands to Disneyland !
Last December I booked us at the Hollywood and Vine ADR for the Christmas character dinner. We had been before and it wasn't very good; however, this was my two year old god daughter's 1st trip and she was obsessed with Minnie Mouse so I booked it. We were pleasantly surprised the food was good! So good in fact when we took our two year old great niece in August 2016 we booked the summer character dinner for the whole family and everyone loved the food again!

During our December trip I had only 1 compliant and it wasn't the food! My god daughter waited very patiently to see Minnie Mouse; by the end of our meal Minnie had not her way to us yet. I asked the waitress to go get Minnie for me please and she got the manager. She did get Minnie and my god daughter got her face time with Minnie I was just annoyed I had to insist.

In August Minnie was great with my Great-niece who is also obsessed with her as well and we had great character interaction and great food!

Catching up on my pod casts and I hear Pete and the rest of the crew put Hollywood and Vine as top 5 worst! I honestly don't understand why?

We use to love Chef Mickey's but as of the last few years wouldn't spend the money for the buffet that has became very Golden Coral on a bad night!

Now I am no food snob or excepting fine cuisine but as far as buffets go: the Hollywood and Vine is a great option! We are going for Halloween and my son'e Birthday this year requested the HollyWood and Vine for his birthday dinner granted he will be 11 but he loves it too!

As a side note in August I wanted to have a nice meal for my 40th birthday and we ate the Brown Derby. Myself, my husband, 17 year old daughter, SIL, 9 year old son , 15 year old nephew and 14 year nephew. We did have the fantastic dinner package and in no way shape or form was the meal with the 600$ plus tip we paid! The whole time I kept thinking I wish we would have went off property and ate at The bonefish grill instead! My SIL had to send her steak back as it was raw and it was hands down the worst Cobb Salad ever! It didn't even taste like Cobb salad and I'm from NY I know what a good Cobb salad tastes like!

I've seen what appears to be a more serious attention to food at disney the last year. It doesn't surprise me to hear that some places that generally were not good are suddenly better. I think consistency is where the good from bad come from at disney. Very few are consistently really good and they get the accolades and here's hoping that H&V might be on the up swing. I'd probably dine elsewhere but sometimes you just need to have some variety.

We had a similar experience at Chef Mickey's last trip. We had never been but wanted to give it a try - but I was very worried about bad reviews I read and saw on the podcast. The food was a pleasant surprise - some unique options and everything was hot/fresh

Hopefully These are signs things are improving - or maybe we just got them on a good night

Also more evidence to what Pete says that to try stuff and don't just take their opinions as gospel

I'v always had positive experiences there, but of course it's been over 4 years since I've eaten there. And yes - places/experiences can be very different and personal, which is why I like to get a lot of different opinions. I've also had very underwhelming experiences at California Grill, Shula's, and Artist Pointe, which a lot of people love. I've also had great experiences at Chefs de France, and Tony's Town Square, which usually get lackluster reviews.

It's all up to YOU, can be the day/who's cooking/serving, etc. - a variety of factors. I say take all advice and opinions into account, then try for yourself if you choose to. Same attitude I take with plays, movies, most anything in life. I use the research to make an informed PERSONAL decision.

We had great experiences there, about 9 years ago. We were there with DS and we were there as they changed from breakfast to lunch, everything was fresh and really tasty but I think that might have been the time of day we were there. We have been back about 5 years ago with both our kids who were obsessed with Playhouse Disney and we did breakfast there. It was ok. But nothing special. We have not been back as the kids are now 8 and 10 and they would rather go to Crystal Palace or other buffets if we do them that are less " babyish"

I agree! We went expecting the worst, based on hearing countless bad reviews. We were pleasantly surprised. Was it the best meal we've ever had? Of course not. BUT for a buffet, we thought it was really good. Nice selection, clean, everything was hot and fresh. We were there for the Halloween dine, and the characters in costume was really fun. Overall we would definitely go back.

Hollywood and Vine.. its on the list of.. if there is nothing else available.. not a must do by a long shot.. but not terrible either..

Hollywood and Vine.. its on the list of.. if there is nothing else available.. not a must do by a long shot.. but not terrible either..

This sums it up for me. Food isn't bad but I tend to look for other options first before going here.

Overpriced and bad food.

I can take that money and get an actual enjoyable, and higher standard food in so many other places.

I did it twice now and it was just not worth the money you shell out st all...at all.

This is a $12.00 buffet at home with no bells and whistles at all.

It's been a couple of years for us too - we did it for a Fantasmic package. It wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't bad at all. I don't think I've had a bad meal at the World. "Worst" was Le Cellier, and that's just because I didn't care for the offerings.

I think it's much too expensive, but I've always thought the food was pretty good. I'm going to give Disney ideas, but I was much more willing to shell out that money when it was the only place to meet Jake/Sophia/Doc. Now that they are in the parks, It's not on our list anymore. And if our trip last year was any indication, we are not alone. That place was empty (I mean, 4 total tables) at around 11:30. DHS certainly wasn't busy, but I've never seen anything like that at H&V.

I will say I preferred Sci-Fi for ambiance; those are the only two restaurants I've been to at that park. And we didn't do a character meal at Hollywood & Vine.

The first time we ate there which is probably going on about 10 years ago we did a Fantasmic dinner package there and I didn't mind the food whatsoever. The next couple of times we went back the food quality had gone downhill and we haven't been back since. Our new stop in DHS has been 50s Prime Time.

I have eaten there a few times over the years and liked it. We are going again on our next trip to do the Disney Jr Characters and am perfectly fine with eating there :)

I agree with Phil, Chef Mickey's was a pleasant surprise for us as well. I loved the salmon (or bass?) with Remoulade sauce. The other seafood selections were pretty standard, but tasty. Pictures from our '13 trip are on our other laptop, so I'm having a hard time recalling anything else, but I know the dessert selection was massive.

That being said, since the price is about the same, Chef Mickey's blows H&V out of the water-just on food alone, not location or theme.

It would be tough to get me back into H&V. Maybe if every other table/quick service on property was closed and I was starving to death.

Hollywood & Vine, Chef Mickey's for dinner, and Tony's are the 3 places that I will almost certainly never step foot in for as long as I'm going to Disney World.

Last December I booked us at the Hollywood and Vine ADR for the Christmas character dinner. We had been before and it wasn't very good; however, this was my two year old god daughter's 1st trip and she was obsessed with Minnie Mouse so I booked it. We were pleasantly surprised the food was good! So good in fact when we took our two year old great niece in August 2016 we booked the summer character dinner for the whole family and everyone loved the food again!

During our December trip I had only 1 compliant and it wasn't the food! My god daughter waited very patiently to see Minnie Mouse; by the end of our meal Minnie had not her way to us yet. I asked the waitress to go get Minnie for me please and she got the manager. She did get Minnie and my god daughter got her face time with Minnie I was just annoyed I had to insist.

In August Minnie was great with my Great-niece who is also obsessed with her as well and we had great character interaction and great food!

Catching up on my pod casts and I hear Pete and the rest of the crew put Hollywood and Vine as top 5 worst! I honestly don't understand why?

We use to love Chef Mickey's but as of the last few years wouldn't spend the money for the buffet that has became very Golden Coral on a bad night!

Now I am no food snob or excepting fine cuisine but as far as buffets go: the Hollywood and Vine is a great option! We are going for Halloween and my son'e Birthday this year requested the HollyWood and Vine for his birthday dinner granted he will be 11 but he loves it too!

As a side note in August I wanted to have a nice meal for my 40th birthday and we ate the Brown Derby. Myself, my husband, 17 year old daughter, SIL, 9 year old son , 15 year old nephew and 14 year nephew. We did have the fantastic dinner package and in no way shape or form was the meal with the 600$ plus tip we paid! The whole time I kept thinking I wish we would have went off property and ate at The bonefish grill instead! My SIL had to send her steak back as it was raw and it was hands down the worst Cobb Salad ever! It didn't even taste like Cobb salad and I'm from NY I know what a good Cobb salad tastes like!

As crazy as this sounds, In all the years doing the character BREAKFASTs at H&V, Lil Einsteins and stuff, we've always had very good meals, which were constantly turned over w/ fresh stuff. & the character interaction has always been great here as well...Never were they rushing IMHO, like some of the other places..I've never had dinner here, but the 4 or so breakfast's have all been great:confused3

It would be tough to get me back into H&V. Maybe if every other table/quick service on property was closed and I was starving to death.

Hollywood & Vine, Chef Mickey's for dinner, and Tony's are the 3 places that I will almost certainly never step foot in for as long as I'm going to Disney World.

At least 2 of the 3, I can agree on....Although as meh as the food at CM is, they definitely make it up with character interaction.
Tony's----2 times.:crazy2: the 2nd time just as bad, probably worse...Oh well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter