Am I right on possibly getting a refillable resort mug for my next trip. Any advice?

JohnDaleswife

Sharing the same birthday with Donald Duck!
I have never purchased one of the refillable mugs at the resorts. But I am now considering doing so. Why? Because I like the new design. Bad thing is though, IF we go in February 2016 it will be a quick trip vs. if we go in October 2016, where that could be a much longer trip.

Anyway at $17 plus tax I would need to really use it at least 6 times in 3.5 days, right? What are the cost of a soda, tea now at the CS places at the resorts? Around $3 plus tax? If I was able to do that and use that at our CS meals, (which is what we will be doing with the exception of 1-2 TS meals) it would be like getting the mug for free. How many times a day can you refill it. I'm doubt I would do it more than twice though.

I am thinking about getting two of them for our my family of four, not sure if my 16-year-old nephew will want to get one. Will possibly be staying at the Poly and I know that Caption Cooks is a great CS spot.
Could possibly use it at the other monorail resorts if we wanted to venture over there. What really got me thinking to is, well, right now I am drinking some milk out of a Olaf cup I got at Disney on Ice last month that I paid $13 for with just one snow cone in it.:crazy:

Re-gift? Thats a thought. Ya, it would be in use for a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and the morning of that Sunday. So I think I could get my monies worth. But really the only thing about them that is getting my attention now is the new design. I wonder if they end up selling more of this new design, if they will take note of that and keep that in mind.

Your mileage on mugs depends. We fill them up for the ride to the parks. I have a caribiener I use to attach mug to purse strap. If I'm visiting a resort during the day we refil mug there. Then when we return to our resort since our mugs are with us we refill on the way back to our room. So we get at least 3 refills a day.

Me and my sister filled ours about 7 or 8 times a day on our trip this summer. I don't think there's any daily limits but it's something like 1 refill every 3 minutes? The new cups are really cute, I'm excited to get mine in June!

I had the same thought and ended up buying one on our last trip! Coffee was indeed ~$3 and one cup isn't enough for my husband and I to split so we bought two cups that first morning... the mug is much larger so filling it once was plenty for the two of us. We had coffee in the morning (I even walked down and refilled it when we had room service - good thing Poly is small!) refilled when we returned in the afternoon and so I do think we got our money's worth. if the new design hadn't debuted I wouldn't have since as you said the old design wasn't my cup of tea!

Thinking that getting a longhouse that is very close to the GCH would be a nice advantage with the mug.

Your mileage on mugs depends. We fill them up for the ride to the parks. I have a caribiener I use to attach mug to purse strap. If I'm visiting a resort during the day we refil mug there. Then when we return to our resort since our mugs are with us we refill on the way back to our room. So we get at least 3 refills a day.
i totally agree. on our most recent trip we brought our mugs with us and we used them at many of the resorts we visited. we like to exit epcot via the international gateway and walk the boardwalk so this way we could refill there. i also discovered the peak iced tea options. how long have those been available? we loved them as we are not big soda drinkers. also use a carabiner. worked really well. we will do this again on our next trip. it is really nice to be able to stop by the food court for a refill on the way back to the room.

I would get one of those caribiener things or what ever those are!

i totally agree. on our most recent trip we brought our mugs with us and we used them at many of the resorts we visited. we like to exit epcot via the international gateway and walk the boardwalk so this way we could refill there. i also discovered the peak iced tea options. how long have those been available? we loved them as we are not big soda drinkers. also use a carabiner. worked really well. we will do this again on our next trip. it is really nice to be able to stop by the food court for a refill on the way back to the room.
The tea has been available for a long time. I'm not a pop drinker either so like mixing it with the lemonade.

Our experience with the mugs has varied as to their worth, especially on shorter trips. A lot of their value depends on whether we are close to a refill station, and if we're going to spend a lot of time at the pool or the resort. The Poly and the GFV (since you're so close to the pool), in our experience, has been very convenient for the mug. I would never even consider it at SSR, OKW, or any other resort that was spread out in separate buildings, unless we were extremely close to a refill station. YC/BC/BW was not very convenient, except for us being at the pool.

FWIW, though, we don't like to schlep the mugs into the parks. All five of 'em would get strapped to a parent, and a day toting around that many mugs would not be very magical.

Our experience with the mugs has varied as to their worth, especially on shorter trips. A lot of their value depends on whether we are close to a refill station, and if we're going to spend a lot of time at the pool or the resort. The Poly and the GFV (since you're so close to the pool), in our experience, has been very convenient for the mug. I would never even consider it at SSR, OKW, or any other resort that was spread out in separate buildings, unless we were extremely close to a refill station. YC/BC/BW was not very convenient, except for us being at the pool.

FWIW, though, we don't like to schlep the mugs into the parks. All five of 'em would get strapped to a parent, and a day toting around that many mugs would not be very magical.

Ditto for me.

We're a family of 4. We're cheap! We typically stay 5-6 nights. We buy one mug. DH gets coffee in the morning. We bring it to the parks, and just put the cup in the backpack. Then when we return to the resort, older dd gets a Sprite. Maybe later in the evenings, the kids go down and get a drink they can share. We have DVC, so technically we don't need the mug at all, but it's a cute souvenir, and we get our money's worth.

We did not want to haul them to the parks with us, since they are not able to be used there. So basically we threw down a few sodas every morning before hitting the parks (waiting 3 minutes in between fills) and then had to run them back to the room. Not sure it was worth it.

We were skeptical about buying mugs the first time, especially since you can't get refills (excluding water) inside the parks. But, they are amazing and worth every penny, in my opinion!! We always put our mugs in our park bookbag and fill them up with coffee or tea to drink on the bus on the way to the park, fill them with water while at the park, and then fill it with coffee, tea, or soda on the way back to our room! They will definately be used. It really is a "fancy" travel mug that lasts years after your trip. They are BPA free and top rack dishwasher safe. Plus, they have a hole for straws and double as a coffee mug. A must have!!

Ok, change in plans. Going to stay at the Boardwalk instead of Poly, any advice?

I'd still get the mug at BWI. At least when I stayed there for a conference in June, they refilled at the Boardwalk Bakery, the pool and Belle Vue lounge. When Boardwalk Bakery closed at night, the pizza window would refill the mugs. Belle Vue was actually the most convenient because it's right near the elevators to the BWI rooms. Much easier than going down to the Boardwalk for refills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter