Am I over reacting ?

Jelly563

Mouseketeer
Hi DisBoard, I usually just lurk. However, we just got home from a stay scheduled for Sat Oct 1-8th. Our flight home was cancelled. Disney was closed, DVC was not answering the phones either. I had no where to stay for Sat and Sun nights. We ended up booking the Doubletree at Disney Springs. I had no other options (DD is 7). I tried to get the magical express to bring us to the airport on Mon (off of our Sat-Sat stay). Bring us there, bring us back common sense kind of theory. They would not because we were currently staying at the DoubleTree. I was hemorrhaging cash in every direction. Am I wrong to be upset, confused & frustrated ??. I understand weather is unpredictable. Did I put too much faith in our DVC membership ?? Advice suggested.....

I'm sorry you had a frustrating experience. I am sure it was quite stressful having your travel interrupted by the hurricane.

Did you go down (in person) and speak to the front desk at all once you knew your flight was canceled and you needed to extend your stay, to see if they could find you space -- even if it was at a different Disney resort ? That would have been my first stop; I have had to do it on a non-Disney vacation and the hotel was very accommodating (I still had to pay for the extra nights, but they had a room for me; my travel insurance then kicked in once I was home to reimburse me for the extra hotel nights and extra daily costs under the trip interruption provisions).

As far as I understand, Disney did their best to accommodate existing guests who had to extend due to the hurricane/travel issues due to the hurricane. It is one of the reasons they turned off accepting NEW reservations online for that period -- so there would be rooms available. Also, people having to cancel their trips also opened up rooms. But of course, one had to speak with them -- being a guest at a hotel at the time, that means physically going to the front desk, especially if you try to call DVC or whomever first and the call center is not open. Depending on your resort, if there was a period the main building was closed, they should still have had a number that could be called for the "front desk".

As for DME, the return trip can only be taken on the day you check out of the Disney resort (they may make some allowances for a wee hours of the AM return if someone does a MVMCP or MNSSHP the evening they check out, but I am not certain in that case what their cut-off time is). Since you were no longer staying on site you weren't eligible.

SW

Are you wrong? Probably not but I think Disney did all they could do given the circumstances and I'm not sure any other hotel/resort would have done differently. As previous poster mentioned, there were accounts of other people being able to extend their stay but it was a crap shoot and you actually probably paid less for the room you got at Doubletree than you would have had Disney been able to find you a room at your resort. If there are not rooms, there are no rooms. Previous poster also explained about DME. There were many airlines giving refunds for cancelled flights or rearranging flights for people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter