Am I making a mistake...BOG or CRT?

mjrich73

100% CAJUN
This trip is to celebrate our daughter's high school graduation, and I am trying to plan special surprises for her. I was able to get a reservation at BOG and CRT, but I only want to keep one. I am struggling with CRT prices, for what you get. I know my daughter would love either one, but I don't want to look back with regret. Is it really worth the extra $ to do CRT? Thanks!

I would keep BOG. CRT is a must-do once so you can see the castle, but unless you really want to see the princesses, I would pass. The food is better at BOG, you can take a picture with the beast and it is much cheaper.

I would keep BOG. CRT is a must-do once so you can see the castle, but unless you really want to see the princesses, I would pass. The food is better at BOG, you can take a picture with the beast and it is much cheaper.

We have never done the castle. Is just being in the castle worth the extra $? And is Beast at BOG all day, or only at dinner?

I like CRT for the specialness of being in the castle. We did breakfast and honestly the food wasn't great. I thought the character interaction was better at other meals (especially Tusker House) - we had several people from other parties come up to the princesses and ask for autographs while they were at our table. The characters also seemed rather rushed.

We really liked the food at BOG. The lunch items felt "lighter" and fresher than some other QS locations (such as Cosmic Rays). We liked being able to pick our seats; and at least when we went, the dining rooms were very clean (not that others aren't clean, but we've had to wipe down tables ourselves at Pecos Bills and Cosmic Rays many times). It was nice having food delivered, rather than having to carry trays of food through crowded dining rooms. The atmosphere at dinner also felt quieter than at lunch. The lights were dimmed, the dining rooms less crowded. DH and I both liked the steaks we were served (the cupcakes were decent). Additionally, our server at BOG was much more attentive than the one at CRT (it was difficult to get drink refills out of our server at CRT).

I'm glad we did CRT, and we'll likely go again when our youngest kids are a little older so they can experience the castle. But it's not a place I'd frequent. We have breakfast, lunch, and dinner reservations at BOG this next trip.

The Beast is only at BOG for dinner. As far as it being worth the money to be in the castle, that depends on the person. We love CTR and being in the castle, but my DD is a lot younger than yours and loved meeting the princesses as well.

IMHO, yes, one trip to the castle is worth it. I have done it twice, but both times both of my kids were 6 and under. I don't know what I would do in your situation. DS14 and DD9 don't like princesses anymore.

Beast only appears at dinner.

You can only see the Beast at dinner. After you've eaten he's there for a meet and greet on your way out if the restaurant. We loved our dinner there, way more than CRT. It was neat to be in the castle, but the food wasn't great and it was so loud! We probably won't eat at CRT again, but will definitely go back to BOG.

This trip is to celebrate our daughter's high school graduation, and I am trying to plan special surprises for her. I was able to get a reservation at BOG and CRT, but I only want to keep one. I am struggling with CRT prices, for what you get. I know my daughter would love either one, but I don't want to look back with regret. Is it really worth the extra $ to do CRT? Thanks!

Is she a dress up princess type girl? My dd16 will graduate next year and is not a girly girl. If I was taking her for her graduation I would focus on nicer restaurants or ones that are more of an experience. Signatures, meal with imagineer, or the animal kigdom safari experience with dinner. Things like that.

But if she is a real girly girl she might enjoy it. I don't care for the food at either place but if I had to go to one BOG.

Also adding (trying to think what my teenager would like) afternoon tea at grand Floridian would also be a real special treat.

I think it really depends on what interests your daughter. If she likes the princesses, CRT is lovely, but IMHO, Akershus is the better princess experience and is cheaper. CRT's biggest appeal is that it is in the castle, which was once and done for us. The food and service there were mediocre at best.

BOG is lovely and, if she likes the Beast, this may be the way to go. It is a very large restaurant, however, which kind of takes the "specialness" away for me.

The PP's suggestion of afternoon tea is a nice one if your daughter isn't interested in characters and would want a more sophisticated experience.

You may also want to consider a signature. Quite honestly, our most special meals have been at Cali Grill. It's pretty unique to be whisked up in the private elevator and the views of MK are stunning. You can also see the fireworks from MK, EP and DHS from there.

If you have a BOG dinner reservation, I'd keep that. If you only have a breakfast or lunch reservation at BOG, I'd do CRT. As pretty as BOG is, breakfast & lunch there are still counter service, which means finding your own table, getting your own drinks, using paper napkins, etc. It's nice, but not as special as table service dining in Cinderella's castle.

Last edited:
From what I remember, dinner at BOG was pretty pricey as well. BOG is awesome, but you can enjoy it for way less money for lunch. There's no Beast M&G but it's the same restaurant, seats, experience IMO. The food is way less fancy at lunch for sure mostly sandwiches, but just the fact that you can have a cheaper dining experience at the same location as dinner is a cost-cutting option without skimping on the beautiful location.

We had one dinner at CRT and it was pretty amazing. Eating in the castle was kinda a big deal for us, just being able to go into the castle at all we were all "wooooow!" and we had somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 princesses come to our table, not including the initial M&G with Cinderella. Each one interacted with us at length, we had quite the in depth conversation with Merida about shooting a bow and arrow! If you want a very memorable experience I feel that CRT may have more potential for a "once in a lifetime" meal than BOG. But, honestly, you will be happy with either! That's just my 2 cents! Enjoy your trip!!

My DD23 was a huge princess fan, but by the time she was 18 she felt awkward meeting characters. Might CRT be a bit much? The Castle is pretty enough, but it's a really expensive meal with mediocre food and service. If she's going to feel she's too old for princess interactions, combined with the caliber of the experience, I'd say keep BOG.

I think the idea of tea at the GF is wonderful! My DD and I go for tea about every 5 years and always have a lovely experience- and it's enough food that, if we have a late tea, we are good for the evening (well... maybe throw a Mickey Bar in there somewhere!).

I would say that CRT is more of a special experience (although the food is nothing special). We took my daughter last summer for her Sweet 16 celebration and she absolutely loved it! Now I'll preface that by revealing that she has special memories there from when she was little, and was happy to take pictures with all of the princesses. We had a late dinner so we'd there for the fireworks, and it was truly magical. We were seated near the stained glass windows, which glowed and twinkled during the show. While it is not a real view of the fireworks, the music was piped in, lights were dimmed, and there was a special feeling in the air. It was a night my daughter will always remember!

That being said, BOG is a very nice option. In my opinion, it does not compare to the experience of eating in the castle, but the ballroom is beautiful and food is very good. (It's also less expensive!)

If your daughter is not enchanted by the castle or princesses, you may want to consider California Grill or tea at GF. Both are wonderful and celebration-worthy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter