• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I crazy for using EMH?

The EMHs are worth it.

Being at the park on a EMH day is not worth it.

So use the EMH then hop somewhere else.

It's sort of like taking a poll to see if Vanilla or Chocolate is better.

See, I disagree. With the EMH question, I can respect those with opinions on either side. But in your example we all know that those who choose vanilla over chocolate clearly have some problems and need to be forced to ride JIYI 100 times in a row as some sort of punishment.

The EMHs are worth it.

Being at the park on a EMH day is not worth it.

So use the EMH then hop somewhere else.

Completely agree with this comment. EMH, especially the morning ones have always been worth it for my family, but we are known to hop to another park, or go back to our resort for a few hours by 11am-1pm.

I figure EMH July 5th at Hollywood Studio the only shot at Slinky Dog (as my reservations only 30+1 for that day)

At our last visit, during Epcot's 9-11 pm EMH, we got the Major 3 done and 2 rides on Mission space. Totally worth it for us but everyone is different in how they plan and how they hop

I can’t get a handle on Extra Magic hours. Half the crowd says to take advantage and go to the parks with EMHs. The rest say it’s too crowded and not to bother. It all leaves me feeling very conflicted. :scared:

If it helps, we always leave the park mid day for a break. We usually leave around 12-1pm. Is there a big difference between morning and evening EMHs?
Our morning EMH is 8-9am.
Our night EMHs are 9-11pm and 10-12am.
The only time I have found EMH to be too overcrowded was last year during Pandora (we went during the time they ONLY thing in the park to do was Pandora during EMH--and we used the full two hours to stand in line and ride FOP 1 time)...and at Hollywood studio there was no longer a lot to do when they closed down so much of the park (I'm not a thrill ride person so RR and ToT are not options for me). I am not sure what Hollywood will be like this summer, because really they are only getting 1 new ride with the opening of TSL if you factor in the additional loss of the GMR...Pandora is a bit less crazy now--so AK would be more EMH friendly...

oops - I see EMH for Hollywood Studio on July 5 is 7am-8am. Maybe there is a chance it won't be overcrowded that early in morning....am I wishful thinking.

We generally miss EMH by design and then go to that park the day after EMH. Most times its less crowded.
If we go t a park for EMH, we leave shortly after the park opens and it becomes crowded.

I usually go early, make the most of the extra hour and when it gets too crowded hop on over to another park.

EMHs are great when you use them correctly. Save the family friendly and kiddie rides for the late-night EMHs. Many families will leave right after HEA, which means shorter lines for Dumbo, Pooh, Barnstormer, Peter Pan, etc. The later it gets, the shorter the line gets.

Our go-to has always been Space Mountain the second the park opens during morning EMH. Then we do Buzz. Then we'll have FP+s for 7DMT, Thunder Mountain, and Jungle Cruise.

Nighttime EMHs are also great for photos. If you can stay late enough, you'll grab a lot of shots without people walking around and getting in the way.

I love evening EMH at MK and I have found the later the better because many of the families go home. I'm staying off site this time, and not a Disney Springs so no EMH and I'm waffling back and forth whether I should just stay at a DS hotel for EMH. Has anyone read any predictions about how crowded it is going to get with the addition of all the DS hotels to EMH? I was thinking that the advantage might be a wash since along with the onsite resorts, now there's the other hotels making it probably easier to just go to the park that doesn't have EMH that day but with HS having EMH every day, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just modify my stay? Any predictions or thoughts?

oops - I see EMH for Hollywood Studio on July 5 is 7am-8am. Maybe there is a chance it won't be overcrowded that early in morning....am I wishful thinking.
My guess--just a guess based on our experience on EMH days at Hollywood Studios (but not July 5)--is that you'll be able to get a decent amount done but it really depends on what you want to do. The new Toy Story Land will probably be packed, and Toy Story Mania will have a long line pretty soon after park opening, but Tower of Terror and (to a lesser extent) Rock n Roller Coaster should be very doable with a minimal wait.

I have always taken advantage of early morning hours then hopped when the crowds became in manageable. I am going solo for ten days in October and plan to experiment the first half of the trip - attend the park at rope drop the day after it offered EMH. We'll see if that makes a difference for crowd capacity or not.

7 a.m. after a holiday that needs complete darkness for fireworks? I think there's going to be a lot of sleepy folks that won't be up and att'em at 7 a.m.

I love EMH, we use them often and we break in the middle of the day, so it works well for us. We have always gotten quite a bit done early which makes it worth it to us.

7 a.m. after a holiday that needs complete darkness for fireworks? I think there's going to be a lot of sleepy folks that won't be up and att'em at 7 a.m.

I was thinking same thing kat ... if any day people may get up late it would be July 5th.

We go during the summer when it is scorching hot so we like the evening EMH. It is cooler out and we love being in the park at night.
We usually arrive around 3:00 and it is crowded but crowds thin out as it gets later. We make our fastpasses soon as we get there then have a table service dinner. MK and AK were both open late last summer. We had a blast the last hour of opening. Crowds are the lowest during that time.
We did go to Epcot evening EMH last year and had fun. It was kind of crowded but we still got everything done we wanted. We did ride Test Track two times in a row right before closing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter