ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: Summer 2011 Edition!

Aloooohaaaa my fellow Polynesian faithfuls. I haven't been posting often, but I am still reading the thread and keeping abreast of all the Polynesian news. I have enjoyed hearing about the trips taken and plans for upcoming vacations. :hug:

We are actually considering a return in May, but haven't fully committed yet since the APs aren't out that far nor have the Tiki Gods favored us with any type of early pin for May. :headache:

A fellow fan of all things Polynesian and devoutly followed by a good many here, asked me to raise the issue of the "music" around the Nanea Volcano pool in the afternoons. While the kid games are certainly a great break and distraction for the younger set (and allows Mom and Dad time to sip a frozen concoction or two), he indicates there have been numerous complaints about the volume of the entertainment.

I know it has been our experience that the volume of those tunes is too loud for us to enjoy being at the Volcano pool. For that reason,we would rather be at the quiet pool. (Don't even get me started about the time the afternoon activities were moved to the quiet pool after the volcano pool was closed due to contamination :headache:) Miley Cyrus music and the like does not lend itself to the serene atmosphere of the Polynesian. The bartenders are also not fans of the volume, but their complaints have fallen upon deaf ears. What has been your experience with the volume of the music around the pool? I'm not talking about the games themselves, simply the loud nature of the karaoke machine utilized by the recreation CMs.

As you know, we have spent time at resorts other than the Polynesian and have not found the afternoon kid game time to be as loud and obnoxious as it is around the Polynesian pool. Perhaps it is simply the nature of the beast given the smallish size of the Polynesian's themed pool area. :confused3 Maybe it would be better to move the whole set up farther down the beach, within eyesight of the pool, but slightly away from it. I know if I had rented that humongous cabana for the day, the afternoon music would not be a welcome intrusion.

Remember, if you are one of those who believe the music (and again, the volume only--the kid's activities are wonderful) needs to be tamed down to a quiet roar, a nicely worded letter to guest services does wonders to effectuate these small changes that make all of our stays more pleasant.

Thoughts anyone?

Fist of all I am excited that a return trip in in the works :woohoo:

When we were there in 2009 they just started the "pool parties" but it was like one hour of music and a few games and then they reverted to a quiet craft or something similar but the key word was quiet. It seemed like they made an effort back then to make it short and simple.

Now they have the loud music for most of the afternoon and yes it is mostly Disney related but they also do trivia where the CM is on the microphone screaming out questions and so forth. :headache: I used to love to sit there and read my book while DH and DD played in the pool and I found we did a lot less of that this trip. I agree about the premium cabana. It is horribly located.

I too am a Poly lover but I find this activity and music to be one of the most annoying changes the resort has implemented. I am also not a huge fan of the movies on the beach being right on the beach every night either. It takes away from the evening ambiance. While I think it is great that there are kid friendly activities, and we did watch the movies a few times this past trip but we managed just fine in the years prior without all these new activities with the hula lessons and lei making crafts in the lobby and just playing in the sand on the beach while Mom and Dad relaxed :goodvibes

DH and I had some wonderful chats with CMs at the Poly and boat captains about the changes at Disney and they all seemed to share the same dislike as us. I have been working on my letter to guest services to tell them about all the wonderful people we encountered on our trip and the not so wonderful experiences as well...sadly.

We had a wonderful, although short, stay at the Polynesian last week. I would love to go back in a year or two. I was wondering what people think is a target room only rate to look for as goal rate while we are saving up. I have signed up to try to receive pin offers etc. We are fine with a Garden view room and would likely go in the cooler months of the year (November-February). TIA!

And I'll be right behind you! :) We arrive in 16 days. I've been listening to mouseworld radio. The monorail loop was just playing, and it just stopped at the Polynesian. Can't wait to be hearing that again in person.

TWO WEEKS FROM RIGHT NOW!!! I will be arriving at the Poly!!

:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:party:party::jumping1::jumping1:

I was scrolling and this scared the you know what out of me it was so big but rightly so.:lmao: Very excited for you and hope you have a great time.

And I'll be right behind you! :) We arrive in 16 days. I've been listening to mouseworld radio. The monorail loop was just playing, and it just stopped at the Polynesian. Can't wait to be hearing that again in person.

Hope you have a great time as well. Your post reminded of when our DS15 was little. We had to ride the monorail over and over again just so he can hear "Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas." :scared1::rotfl:

We had a wonderful, although short, stay at the Polynesian last week. I would love to go back in a year or two. I was wondering what people think is a target room only rate to look for as goal rate while we are saving up. I have signed up to try to receive pin offers etc. We are fine with a Garden view room and would likely go in the cooler months of the year (November-February). TIA!

It doesn't look as if anyone wants to venture a wild guess with respect to your question. I will give it a go. If I was trying to plan that far in advance, I would look at rack and HOPE with all fiber of my being that I could get a 35% discount off of the standard room only rate. :confused3

What you can possibly count on is a 10-20% discount if you have AAA, otherwise, it is just a guess. What you can be assured of, however, is the rates will increase anywhere from 5-7% each year on the rack until folks SCREAM uncle. :rotfl2:

My advice, save your money as if it were your job and hope for the best with regard to rates and discounts. :thumbsup2

Aloooohaaaa my fellow Polynesian faithfuls. I haven't been posting often, but I am still reading the thread and keeping abreast of all the Polynesian news. I have enjoyed hearing about the trips taken and plans for upcoming vacations. :hug:

We are actually considering a return in May, but haven't fully committed yet since the APs aren't out that far nor have the Tiki Gods favored us with any type of early pin for May. :headache:

A fellow fan of all things Polynesian and devoutly followed by a good many here, asked me to raise the issue of the "music" around the Nanea Volcano pool in the afternoons. While the kid games are certainly a great break and distraction for the younger set (and allows Mom and Dad time to sip a frozen concoction or two), he indicates there have been numerous complaints about the volume of the entertainment.

I know it has been our experience that the volume of those tunes is too loud for us to enjoy being at the Volcano pool. For that reason,we would rather be at the quiet pool. (Don't even get me started about the time the afternoon activities were moved to the quiet pool after the volcano pool was closed due to contamination :headache:) Miley Cyrus music and the like does not lend itself to the serene atmosphere of the Polynesian. The bartenders are also not fans of the volume, but their complaints have fallen upon deaf ears. What has been your experience with the volume of the music around the pool? I'm not talking about the games themselves, simply the loud nature of the karaoke machine utilized by the recreation CMs.

As you know, we have spent time at resorts other than the Polynesian and have not found the afternoon kid game time to be as loud and obnoxious as it is around the Polynesian pool. Perhaps it is simply the nature of the beast given the smallish size of the Polynesian's themed pool area. :confused3 Maybe it would be better to move the whole set up farther down the beach, within eyesight of the pool, but slightly away from it. I know if I had rented that humongous cabana for the day, the afternoon music would not be a welcome intrusion.

Remember, if you are one of those who believe the music (and again, the volume only--the kid's activities are wonderful) needs to be tamed down to a quiet roar, a nicely worded letter to guest services does wonders to effectuate these small changes that make all of our stays more pleasant.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm a centrist in this debate. I loved the long kids activities that kept the little ones very occupied and let me relax. I would not have liked those activities to be farther down the beach because I wouldn't be able to see the kids while being at a pool myself. HOWEVER, I'm not fond of Ms. Cyrus' music either and I agree the deluxe cabana is verrrry poorly located with these kids' parties.

My own solution hit it right down the middle. We had one of the smaller cabanas up at the top, so the kids activities were not so loud to us and we had our own music mix going (I could plug my iphone into the speakers there.) We'd rotated an adult emissary with a frozen beverage to watch the kids from a lounge chair while the rest of the party enjoyed the cabana.

If I didn't have kids, I would have been at the quiet pool for sure and I wouldn't begrudge the kids their activities...except maybe I'd miss the proximity to the bar...which actually might be healthier for me...:rolleyes1

It doesn't look as if anyone wants to venture a wild guess with respect to your question. I will give it a go. If I was trying to plan that far in advance, I would look at rack and HOPE with all fiber of my being that I could get a 35% discount off of the standard room only rate. :confused3

What you can possibly count on is a 10-20% discount if you have AAA, otherwise, it is just a guess. What you can be assured of, however, is the rates will increase anywhere from 5-7% each year on the rack until folks SCREAM uncle. :rotfl2:

My advice, save your money as if it were your job and hope for the best with regard to rates and discounts. :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for your reply. I will be looking and praying for a 35% off and saving like crazy. :) That does help to have a goal % off in mind!

Ok everybody, I'm freaking out here. In a good way of course:banana:
The day after tomorrow we will be heading out bright and early for our first ever family trip to WDW! I am so thrilled to be staying at the Poly. We're all super newbies so it's just so exciting.
I hope I can sleep the next 2 nights!! My kids are going to flip when they see the pool and I'm just dying to know which room or building we're going to be put in:goodvibes

I'll be sure to report back on what us first-timers impression was of the Poly!

Ok everybody, I'm freaking out here. In a good way of course:banana:
The day after tomorrow we will be heading out bright and early for our first ever family trip to WDW! I am so thrilled to be staying at the Poly. We're all super newbies so it's just so exciting.
I hope I can sleep the next 2 nights!! My kids are going to flip when they see the pool and I'm just dying to know which room or building we're going to be put in:goodvibes

I'll be sure to report back on what us first-timers impression was of the Poly!

Have a great time! We stayed at the Poly on our first family vacation and it was all we could have hoped for and so much more! Trip 3 back to the Poly coming up in 33 days for us! Enjoy!! :goodvibes

5 more sleeps for us... Only have to get through 4 days of work!!
Lots to do this week...laundry, packing, and a few appts- have to get DS to pediatrician on Wed afternoon for a recheck of lungs after having pneumonia about three weeks ago! I'm sure he is going to get the all clear - since he has shown no signs of a relapse.
The only hiccup I forsee is DH informed me this weekend that he may have to go away for business tomorrow through Tuesday and won't know till Monday morning! Great!!!
Can't wait to back in Disney and for our first stay at Poly...
Debbie

Has anyone ever stayed at the poly the 1st week in February? How busy was it? Will there be anything special going on that I should look for? Thanks.

Just under six months to go. Got dinner at Ohana, two breakfasts at Kona, and a full-day cabana! I will think of nothing else for the next six months!

Has anyone ever stayed at the poly the 1st week in February? How busy was it? Will there be anything special going on that I should look for? Thanks.

I have been the last week of Jan through the first few days of Feb! It is actually nice! Weather can be kind of iffy but crowds are low!

Down to 74 days. Man time is flying by. I imagine it will come to a screaching halt after Christmass and seem like an eternity till Jan 27, 2012 though.

I'm 31 days and counting and each day seems like eternity. However as soon as I'm a week out I know it will fly with last minute things and packing. I can't wait!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter