ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
wendow:

So glad you were able to get your request. Like I said before it is one of the nicest "standard-view" rooms you can get IMO. I loved sitting on our balcony with my coffee and listening to the tropical music. It was probably the BEST visit I have every had at the POLY.
We never stay "club-level" but I will add that I probably would not be happy paying "club-level" prices at the POLY now. They do seem to be getting the worst of it.
This is the most magical time of the year to be at WDW IMO.

Thank you! I'm kind of amazed this is a standard view. It really is a very nice view. We also have never stayed CL. I'd love to but not really in our budget. The only reason we can be at the poly now is because of a reduced rate and two of my kiddos being with my aunt at the GF.
Just finished listening to the luau and now Wishes is going. Love it!

It is a great time to be here but quite chilly. That has really been my only disappointment. We are used to Sept. Weather and like the heat ;)

So I'm thinking of requesting Samoa west side first floor rooms 1601-1610 for our trip next August so we can have access to the Nanea Volcano pool from our patio. Has anyone ever stayed in one of these rooms? Can you walk out your slider to the pool? Is this a crazy idea or worth requesting?

I realize it is only a request and that we may not get it. It will be our first preference of four...

Thanks,

Martin

So I'm thinking of requesting Samoa west side first floor rooms 1601-1610 for our trip next August so we can have access to the Nanea Volcano pool from our patio. Has anyone ever stayed in one of these rooms? Can you walk out your slider to the pool? Is this a crazy idea or worth requesting?

I realize it is only a request and that we may not get it. It will be our first preference of four...

Thanks,

Martin

I've never stayed in one of these rooms, but the touring plans website has photos of the view from most rooms on property. It appears you can step off your patio and get on the sidewalk to the pool. 1606 and 1607 have a straight shot view of the volcano. That being said, I don't know if construction will change the view. One thing I would consider is the noise from the pool in August.

Tikiman posted a pic of the new "waterfall". To put it mildly, I'm disappointed :sad2: . It's a little pile of brown rocks. Why did they even bother?

I went ahead and booked the split stay. I can always switch back to the full week at BC if it seems the pool won't be done. We have a GV CL room booked, so I'm slightly concerned about construction around the quiet pool. But my daughter can nap through a lot of noise - she has three older siblings. Like you, I don't mind a bit of construction, but a pool is a must. I've been following Tikiman, too. Hopefully we'll be in the clear by August.

Looks like we'll be buddies again!
Poly 8/14-18
BC 8/19-24

Any idea when Trader Sam's is supposed to open? I would love for it to be by our end of May trip.

Thanks!! :thumbsup2

Carla

Any idea when Trader Sam's is supposed to open? I would love for it to be by our end of May trip.

Thanks!! :thumbsup2

Carla

I'd put that at 50/50 - I believe it was originally slated for March/April to open on Tikiman's page but the construction has been running slower than expected. (Though somebody lit a fire under the crew for the lobby to get it done in time - :thumbsup2 )

Looks like we'll be buddies again!
Poly 8/14-18
BC 8/19-24

Yay! We're at the Poly from 8/16-8/19. Then at BC from 8/19-8/23.

I looked at the photos tikiman posted. I'm hoping the lobby is more inviting when it's done. I doubt they'd have been able to match the waterfall they removed, but that's pretty spartan.

I'd put that at 50/50 - I believe it was originally slated for March/April to open on Tikiman's page but the construction has been running slower than expected. (Though somebody lit a fire under the crew for the lobby to get it done in time - :thumbsup2 )

I hope they keep that fire blazing!! ;)

Carla

NOOOOO! That's awful. I knew it. They're really cutting back. Why though.

I don't get it and I've tried to stay positive. For whatever reason, they couldn't maintain the waterfall. But this is such a poor attempt at a replacement, I would have rather they not put anything. So far it looks like an ugly pile of you know what. Heck, I could make one of those in my back yard with what's lying around. I will be watching closely and will change my reservation if this is where they are headed with the remainder of the renovation. I feel bad for the CMs that have to hear guests rant about this pathetic thing.

I don't get it and I've tried to stay positive. For whatever reason, they couldn't maintain the waterfall. But this is such a poor attempt at a replacement, I would have rather they not put anything. So far it looks like an ugly pile of you know what. Heck, I could make one of those in my back yard with what's lying around. I will be watching closely and will change my reservation if this is where they are headed with the remainder of the renovation. I feel bad for the CMs that have to hear guests rant about this pathetic thing.

It does look like something you could pick up at Home Depot, doesn't it?

I read somewhere, can't remember where so I can't judge the accuracy, that they had to remove the waterfall and plants because a new skylight had to have a certain amount of UV protection and it would have killed the plants (unless they had special lights installed to keep them alive). It seemed logical, but I'm still sad it's gone.

I guess when you have low supply, high demand, you do whatever - and it won't matter. Also charge whatever you want, won't matter.

I guess when you have low supply, high demand, you do whatever - and it won't matter. Also charge whatever you want, won't matter.

I think its pretty clear by now that the Poly redo was not given any soul imperative or consideration to the love 40 odd years historically took place there on that man made swap/ lagoon... first shoveled in 1966.

They in my opinion hacked the lagoon with the pizza huts…(looks nice from far away..but up close UG!) They bulldozed Sunset Point, They ruined the good views from much of the regular guests availability. Pineapple Lani is a little sterile. The Lobby is uninspiring to say the least. The shops have lost some of their pizzaz.

We have yet to see any results of whats left. The pools, entry, Trader Sam's, interiors of DVC, final landscaping….ect.

But all in all the people making these decisions have only one total goal in mind. Maximizing their profits. That translates into.. "who cares?".

I love the Poly and will continue to until I visit one day and that 'feeling' isn't there anymore.

So far, last visit with walls up everywhere, everything closed off, lobby a dark maze of boarded up core…construction everywhere.
I loved every minute of it.
As long as there are still good people working there and you bring your own magic..its still the Poly we all loved and love.

Just bring magic. And money.

Ohana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95GkQP9XI3A

WDW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDjdbRcEHU

Poly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skLUfDNfKZY

Yay! We're at the Poly from 8/16-8/19. Then at BC from 8/19-8/23.

I looked at the photos tikiman posted. I'm hoping the lobby is more inviting when it's done. I doubt they'd have been able to match the waterfall they removed, but that's pretty spartan.

I am feeling pretty confident that the GCH and Main Pool will be done by late August, it's the quiet pool I'm worried about, as on the magical deal I received, it's a standard view (non-CL), and from what I understand, a lot of those rooms will overlook the quiet pool. I wonder how substantial a rehab? Like, are we talking big walls, bulldozers, etc. If so, we will consider a move to GF, or just stay the whole time at our beloved BC/YC.

Awww, will just miss you Scott. We arrive at Poly 8/22! Too bad we never managed to meet up at GF last August :upsidedow

Drat! We did miss each other a lot last summer didn't we?

Tikiman posted a pic of the new "waterfall". To put it mildly, I'm disappointed :sad2: . It's a little pile of brown rocks. Why did they even bother?

I just looked at the pic and will join in you in being very disappointed. The waterfall is too small with no appeal, IMO :(.

I don't get it and I've tried to stay positive. For whatever reason, they couldn't maintain the waterfall. But this is such a poor attempt at a replacement, I would have rather they not put anything.

I agree.

I am feeling pretty confident that the GCH and Main Pool will be done by late August, it's the quiet pool I'm worried about, as on the magical deal I received, it's a standard view (non-CL), and from what I understand, a lot of those rooms will overlook the quiet pool. I wonder how substantial a rehab? Like, are we talking big walls, bulldozers, etc. If so, we will consider a move to GF, or just stay the whole time at our beloved BC/YC.

Scott, take a look at the Poly on Google Earth. You can get a good idea of which buildings have a good amount of vegetation growing in front of the rooms. That might help steer you to which room/building to request. Still debating whether I'd want a first floor room with a patio that might be noisier but have less of a construction view or request third floor. View might not be as nice (most of the GV rooms in Hawaii face the quiet pool), but it might be quieter. Last time we stayed in Hawaii, we had a first floor room and the noise when the people upstairs came back at park close was unreal. It only lasted twenty minutes, but they were impressively loud.

Google earth has been very helpful in showing me which parts of BC might have a dumpster view.

I think its pretty clear by now that the Poly redo was not given any soul imperative or consideration to the love 40 odd years historically took place there on that man made swap/ lagoon... first shoveled in 1966.

They in my opinion hacked the lagoon with the pizza huts…(looks nice from far away..but up close UG!) They bulldozed Sunset Point, They ruined the good views from much of the regular guests availability. Pineapple Lani is a little sterile. The Lobby is uninspiring to say the least. The shops have lost some of their pizzaz.

We have yet to see any results of whats left. The pools, entry, Trader Sam's, interiors of DVC, final landscaping….ect.

But all in all the people making these decisions have only one total goal in mind. Maximizing their profits. That translates into.. "who cares?".

I love the Poly and will continue to until I visit one day and that 'feeling' isn't there anymore.

So far, last visit with walls up everywhere, everything closed off, lobby a dark maze of boarded up core…construction everywhere.
I loved every minute of it.
As long as there are still good people working there and you bring your own magic..its still the Poly we all loved and love.

Just bring magic. And money.

Ohana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95GkQP9XI3A

WDW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDjdbRcEHU

Poly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skLUfDNfKZY
Tell us how you really feel now Tim :rotfl2:

Drat! We did miss each other a lot last summer didn't we?

Yes we did Scott!! Maybe next Aug we'll bump into each other.
I booked same Poly standard view. So I requested Fiji marina side (considered standard view) or Aotearoa. I figure this will keep me away from east pool reno.
I had thoughts of Samoa, but too risky with one side facing east pool..
My fav longhouse Tokelau is now DVC :sad2: but some if that would be by quiet pool too.

I've also booked the Magical deal for next August. The Disney website says construction will be completed in "early 2015".

I sure hope the Great Ceremonial House and Nanea Volcano pool are both completed by August...

Martin
Should be. But not all construction. I think Nanea pool is due to reopen early August?

Following Tikiman's updates, I'm "hopeful" that the main pool will be open by August.

You're not kidding it was hot! In the 9 days we were there, it literally only rained twice and it wasn't even the typical August afternoon t-storms we've come to expect. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have the weather we had then the typical rain every afternoon, but it was oppressive and there were days when no one wanted to go to the park until later in the evening. That trip forced us to really slow down and we too spent a lot of time at the GF pool :).

There's no way that the construction will be done by early 2015 but like everyone else, I'm hopeful that by August the GCH and the main pool will be...keeping my fingers crossed.
We'd go to park for opening. Then came back to GF when it got too hot. I too had thoughts of just going to the parks at night ::yes:: But you can't ask for a better place to slow down at, except maybe Poly :)

Yes, third floor with balcony. Beautiful view!
Hmmm, maybe I should change my request, I asked for Fiji Marina side. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter